Break IDs

Phokus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It uses "Think," (you can hear the little "uh-huh"), but there are many other elements in it too

Here's a RealPlayer clip:

http://www.b2vos.co.uk/audio/hurt_you_so.ram

(the break I'm talking about begins right away in the clip)

I read somewhere on this site that someone thinks it's sampled from the logical progression ep by ltj bukem on vinyl mania and I have to say that I would back it up as I have it at home and it is clean on the logical progression reprise (2nd track side b).

I read somewhere on this site that someone thinks it's sampled from the logical progression ep by ltj bukem on vinyl mania and I have to say that I would back it up as I have it at home and it is clean on the logical progression reprise (2nd track side b).

Hmmm. Only if you want to play the intro of it backwards, then maybe its 'clean'... It dates from 1991 right? Definitely earlier than Jonny L - Hurt You So.

Still - I'm inclinded to believe it comes from an earlier source still. Something obscure

Haste: I recon it's "Think" and "Sesame Street" layered, both being slightly pitched up. The Sesame Street break gives the snares those extra harmonics and actual "snare" noise that the think snares lack.

Just tried to recreate it myself using those two well-known breaks and got quite close. I'll mess about with EQ more on both to try and get them to fit properly and post a clip. Someone else should try... you'll be convinced that those two breaks are what's made this.

Haste: I recon it's "Think" and "Sesame Street" layered,

Just tried to recreate it myself...

I've just isolated the break from "Logical Reprise" and I dunno if I can hear the "Sesame Street". I think the "Think" break gets its snappy-ness due to a really low sample rate being used. It defo gets retriggered on the snare after the "...ba-buh..." vocal. Also there is a phase on the low-end filter.

think variant unknown!.wav

I think I can hear the "Soul Pride" break in it... not all the way thru, but on the second bar it rolls out the syncopation towards the last 3 beats.

I would say its probably just the "Think" break on its own, with extra drum hits and sound processing & eq-ing. Additionally, I don;t think it can come originally from the LTJ Bukem tune, because, firstly, I know I've heard other tunes using the break but without that b-line in it, and secondly, I can hear 'vinyl noise' in the loop - so thats a certain that he's taken it from somewhere else!

Oh don't forget, that "skaaa" sound is certainly via "Bufallo Gals" Malcolm McClaren. Please take a look - you won't be disappointed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heavy! Rude boy!

I know their "My Side Of Town" but I dunno that track. Gonna seek it now.

If you want, why not add this break as a new thread to the Breaks forum? Make sure you use the template else Phokus will have kittens

Heavy! Rude boy!

I know their "My Side Of Town" but I dunno that track. Gonna seek it now.

If you want, why not add this break as a new thread to the Breaks forum? Make sure you use the template else Phokus will have kittens

lol, will do, just found the lp exactly where I thought it was :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by DeeJayBudd

I've been trying to track the original break for years...

Does anyone know the source of the intro for this, it's the break not the "Never Try The Hippodrome" vocal.

I know it was also sampled on the Wagon Christ remix of a 2-player track on Ninja Tune and possibly Charlie (towards the end)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hey ! :biggrin:

Break in tunes - Stratus - Live and Perfect Combination - Power Within...

:help:

ID PLEASE !

As used in :

4 For The Money - It's A Moment In Time (Rising High Dub Mix)

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/tam_tam/ttt030

sounds like the break used on Tim Dog's Dogs Gonna Get Cha on his 1991 album Penicillin On Wax. No joy looking it up on Sample FAQ though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...