RollDaBeats v3 now live

haste

Why are the results so confusing, or is it just me?!

If I search for "roni size kiss" it should surely bring up the release on V Recordings for Kiss/Fresh.

Instead, it does'nt even get mentioned!

I get 6 variations of the artist, and 54 releases with not a single mention of what Im after on the first page.

Then, if you view all of the 54 releases it does'nt even appear.

Sorry to be negative, but I prefered it how it was, it just seems to be a copy of discogs now :(

Edit:

Just tried to search for "krust warhead" and got similar, not a single mention of warhead

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for pointing that out. I think the problem with all of that is due to the search index. We had to completely rebuild this from scratch which is a time consuming process and it does look like there are still some holes in it that need sorting. Searching for "warhead" gives me nothing and it obviously should, what you're getting there are just the results for the word "krust". Likewise, the Roni Size results aren't getting anything for the word "kiss" either or that would be the top results in both the releases and tracks section. I'll see if I can find the best way in which we can rebuild the index and get this sorted ASAP.

Hopefully once this is done the search engine should be far better than before as it allows far more to be searched than before, although I appreciate that it's a little different to how it was.

In terms of what you preferred is this simply the method of searching? Would you rather have the options for what to search back?

Im glad it was an issue that needed addressing rather than me just being either useless or awkward!

The fact that it obviously should return a result for warhead for example is what was probably frustrating me.

The layout as it is looks fine, Im sure once it problem gets sorted it will be ok :)

Just to add, I noticed the "search help" link and then tried to search for "-t warhead" and get the following error:

Not Found

The requested URL /search/title/warhead was not found on this server.

I assume that is the correct way to use it

Just to add, I noticed the "search help" link and then tried to search for "-t warhead" and get the following error:

Thanks for pointing out that, it's fixed now.

Having looked through I think that it's actually the entire track search index that needs rebuilding. I'll get on with this now and should hopefully have it sorted soon, might take a little while to go through 140,000 tracks, though! :blink:

Im glad it was an issue that needed addressing rather than me just being either useless or awkward!

The fact that it obviously should return a result for warhead for example is what was probably frustrating me.

The layout as it is looks fine, Im sure once it problem gets sorted it will be ok :)

You'll see that the search results are now vastly improved. It took several days but the track search index is now pretty much complete so you'll get results for warhead among others.

http://rolldabeats.com/search/track/roni_size_kiss

etc. etc.

I still have to rebuild the release index but the track one took a lot longer than expected so will have to find a better way to do it as it also seemed to slow the site down a fair bit (although that could have just been locally)

Let me know if you spot anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Small unimportant cosmetical bug in the collection page, but thought I would report it anyway:

"TwEeD's physical collection: 1 to 0 of 0 releases"

Cheers for pointing it out, I'll get that fixed!

Why are the results so confusing, or is it just me?!

If I search for "roni size kiss" it should surely bring up the release on V Recordings for Kiss/Fresh.

Instead, it does'nt even get mentioned!

I get 6 variations of the artist, and 54 releases with not a single mention of what Im after on the first page.

Then, if you view all of the 54 releases it does'nt even appear.

Sorry to be negative, but I prefered it how it was, it just seems to be a copy of discogs now :(

I have to concur with the above - the search is very very bad. I would prefer it as it was. It doesn't seem to like compound artist names or titles.

I have to concur with the above - the search is very very bad. I would prefer it as it was. It doesn't seem to like compound artist names or titles.

What are you trying to search for? Please give me examples of where it's not working properly for you.

I can see the problems with the the search index as noted above and that is fixed now. I'm not sure I can see how the new search is worse than before as it now searches much more of the database in a far more accurate way. Anyway, would be good to see a few examples of where you think it's falling down.

For anyone who's at all interested the old search didn't allow you to search across all release/track information, you could only search the actual release/track name. The new search allows you to search for any combination of artist name(s) and release/track titles so that you can pinpoint info far more easily. It's also a full text search now so it will provide results based on a best match to all or some of the words that you typed. The previous search would only turn results that matched all of the search terms you used. The new method means that you may get more results but it should provide better matches based on what you've entered and should also help if you've spelled things slightly incorrectly.

• 1 month later...

Can't seem to edit my posts... trying to update one of my entries in the Kiss 100 FM shows thread?

rolldabeats.com Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Yeah, we've been having some weird problems with the forum since going live. The biggest issue is, like you've pointed out, it's sometimes not possible to edit old threads. It's on the list of things to fix, but I'll have to admit that this is a fairly long list and at the moment we are insanely busy with work so the RDB tasks are taking longer than I had hoped to tick off.

Please let us know of anything else you spot that's wrong and we'll try and get it fixed as soon as we can :)

• 2 weeks later...

obligatory "CSN" in 'admin broke our forum' thread ^_^

http://i49.tinypic.com/9tz8nt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Errm..

Yes, ok 'Play' doesn't work from the search results screen.

Also, its a bit annoying becasue the play controls only show properly when the window is maximised. Using the scroll bars at the bottom doesn't do anything

Also I've noticed that it has a bit of problems switching from track to track, I think in particular its when you play a next track and then try to go back to the one before. Something along them lines

Yes, ok 'Play' doesn't work from the search results screen.

Oops. Forgot to include the player code on that page. It's there now!

Also, its a bit annoying becasue the play controls only show properly when the window is maximised. Using the scroll bars at the bottom doesn't do anything

Ah, do you mean when the window is thinner than the content? I see your point. I'll get this working better