MyRDB in beta

thijs

Personally, I think having an option to make your own collection private should be added, I know people who would not use this site to catalogue their collections if it meant that everybody could view what they've got.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I think having an option to make your own collection private should be added, I know people who would not use this site to catalogue their collections if it meant that everybody could view what they've got.

Just out of interest, whats the reasoning behind that?

maybe if someone finds out where you live and decides to rob you because of what you've got, it may sound far fetched but many of my mates have been robbed even just for their tunes while there on holiday or something (not by me of course).

a few years back I even got mugged by two gezzers that earlier I saw in wax city and when I went home on the train they robbed me for my tunes & didn't even stop to nick my wallet then legged it out the door at the station we had stopped at - bastards.

so I do see the reasons for making it private or maybe have only people who have logged on or set up permissions for certain people who can look at it , though wants list or a trades list may not be so bad but who knows?.

even more to think about on this feature, headache now starting from my swelling head - ouch!

so I do see the reasons for making it private or maybe have only people who have logged on or set up permissions for certain people who can look at it , though wants list or a trades list may not be so bad but who knows?.

Thats a good idea, like a 'share with buddies' feature or something.

some really good ideas in this thread, :)

Fear of robbery, as blah said. Sad state of affairs, but it does happen.

I know discogs' cataloguing feature lets you keep it private if you want to.

I don't think it really matters why you might want to keep it private. We need to think of as many things that can make our system more customisable than other ones. The more features we have, the more appealling using the site will be and that's the kind of thing that I think will set us apart from the rest!

I think it's perfectly legit to want to keep your collection up here just for personal use and not want people to know what you have, it should definitely be an option.

I can't tell you how soul destroying getting robbed for tunes is like,

another time I was playing old skool at an illegial rave on the a27 near arundel and at the end they wouldn't let me go until I gave em some tunes as I did last two hour set (which went really well) and all the other dj's had fucked off already and they wanted to go on for a few more hours and I had a big ass cardboard box full of old random classics and it was being raped infront of my very eyes , so I got in there and grabbed some albums,a few sleeves and a few other tunes I have never seen since , threw them at em and legged it down some 45 degree hill as fast as I could in the dawn sun.

bunch of cunts!!!.

I don't think you lot need to worry about this. People aren't gonna come to your house and rob you of tunes.

For a start, they don't know where you live, right?!

Yeah, I was just bigging up my collection really! ;) :lol:

But what blah said about someone getting burgled for their tunes. That would just be devestating! :ph34r:

probably their (blah's mate) 'mates'

Re: ratings...

we have had discussions about this in the past. still not quite sure what to do with it, since it will no doubt be feeding a lot of (useless) discussions as well. it's not off the list though.

My thoughts on this was strictly a member's only feature, in which a member could put a personal rating on each of their owned items contained within MyRDB. Then, as a non-member feature, each release pulled up from the database could feature a averaged score STRICTLY on this informal, personal ratings data (and labelled as such - i.e. "MyRDB members rating')

All discussions of tunes merits and releases worths indeed be strictly off limits for discussion in any of the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!

...since it will no doubt be feeding a lot of (useless) discussions...

God forbid!!!

:o?????????????;)

Re: private

Yes, i would like my collection, if added, to remain private. Of course, abstracted extrapolated information drawn from my collection would be no problem for me. Just no open display of my prized possesions!

Re: lots of ideas & stuff

Many good ideas, just one thing, I think many of advanced info options should be reserved to RDB members only, detailed graphs, wants lists, etc. Apart from my 'ratings' display system, of course... That should remain openly viewable!

B-) (inflated chest & stuff...)

although I'd say listed information on releases by avereaged score should be one of those RDB members only benefits... etc etc blah blah blah

drone drone...... zzzzz zzzzz

Is it possible to introduce a "bulk add to collection/wantslist" function like the one Discogs have? This is really useful for when you have a bunch of records in a particular label, you can enter a lot very quickly.

Is it possible to introduce a "bulk add to collection/wantslist" function like the one Discogs have? This is really useful for when you have a bunch of records in a particular label, you can enter a lot very quickly.

Has it been put back? I know they had it in the beginning, but the last years (well, the few times I logged in) there were no bulk options anymore.

Also, can we get a banner at the top: "NO, I'M NOT SELLING ANY OF MY RECORDS!!"?

I can't tell you how soul destroying getting robbed for tunes is like,

another time I was playing old skool at an illegial rave on the a27 near arundel and at the end they wouldn't let me go until I gave em some tunes as I did last two hour set (which went really well) and all the other dj's had fucked off already and they wanted to go on for a few more hours and I had a big ass cardboard box full of old random classics and it was being raped infront of my very eyes , so I got in there and grabbed some albums,a few sleeves and a few other tunes I have never seen since , threw them at em and legged it down some 45 degree hill as fast as I could in the dawn sun.

bunch of cunts!!!.

sorry for this as I now think it was needless waffle (and swearing) and did not want it to seem paranoia inducing, like haste say's no one knows where you live unless you put it all in the database but I know a lot of people that are needlessly cagey about what they have for no reason (or reasons known only to themselves).

anyway ...cant wait to see how the feature will work now that i'm interested

Also, can we get a banner at the top: "NO, I'M NOT SELLING ANY OF MY RECORDS!!"?

Just out of interest, how many records do you have, being the Samples guy 'n all?

(of all styles?)

PS Whats that craazy album cover you have as your avatar?

Just out of interest, how many records do you have, being the Samples guy 'n all?

(of all styles?)

PS Whats that craazy album cover you have as your avatar?

The DnB counter is around 3500 vinyl and 400 CD's.

Soul, Jazz, Fusion-Jazz, Funk, R&B, Dance, Pop, Metal, New Wave and other stuff... no idea! But judging from filled space... Should be at least 7000 vinyls, probably more... (and not that many CD's).

(some pics here).

As for the avatar, it's the cover of a hard to find album from Demon Fuzz named Afreaka. No well known samples on it, but a tune with a really great breakdown! (Needless to say I didn't pay much for it B-) ).

And for people that shop for records in Rotterdam: yes, it's the same album the shop in Rotterdam took it's name from.

And to quickly sneak this one on-topic: when will there be a link to MyRDB on the main page?

And to quickly sneak this one on-topic: when will there be a link to MyRDB on the main page?

Once it's been tested a bit more and we've developed a proper page for it rather than the current basic My Collection page

Some great discussion in this thread B-) B-) B-)

I definitely think there should be a batch add option. When viewing a label's list of releases, there should be check boxes next to each release, and one check box at the top of the page that will "Select All." This way, a user can quickly add an entire label to My Collection or My Wants.

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon13.gif

dear god...!

and to think I had a serious crisis of confidence at 2000+! That is just too many records! (I couldn't bear to have any more...)