DJ SS - Rollidge [Formation - FORM12053]

haste

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mikeeee
The backwards lyrics say some stuff like "love sets you free forever," but I can't remember the whole thing or where it's from  :lol:  

The backwards sample is from an Inner City tune, can't remember which one off hand.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I doubt that it is but it might have come from windows in the sky by acen on production house as it is very clean in that if not sped up a bit

I always thought lickwood meant dead & buried i.e lick the coffin wood (heh heh) but who the fuck knows???

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure it is lickwood, which basically means bang the wall really hard with your hands or whatever.

Lick wood.

From an old soundclash, can't remember which though.

"Lickwood means rewind the gunshot means forward, you requested it so weee rewind"

• 7 months later...
Guest Droid
I prefer Logic's explanation: holding up your Red Stripe :)

Nah - 'Lickwood' means to shoot your gun into the ceiling... 'lick' (shoot) - 'wood' (ceiling)

Had me going for a few years though... still no news on where the sample comes from though. Not exculsively a soundclash tune anyway.

Nah - 'Lickwood' means to shoot your gun into the ceiling... 'lick' (shoot) - 'wood' (ceiling)

Had me going for a few years though... still no news on where the sample comes from though. Not exculsively a soundclash tune anyway.

Yeah i think it's that - kindda bang salute -

But where's the difference between the lickwood & the gunshot?

(first you shoot the ceilling, second you shoot the dj :smile: ? (means forward for sure) )

Guest Guest
Yeah i think it's that - kindda bang salute -

But where's the difference between the lickwood & the gunshot?

(first you shoot the ceilling, second you shoot the dj :smile: ? (means forward for sure) )

:laugh: Good question!

Yeah thats not the meaning. Liquid is the sound records make when you wheel forward, as in fast forwarding. Sounds like liquid pouring kinda.

• 1 month later...

it's definitely lickwood

meaning bang the wall

and lickwwod means rewind gunshot means forward - refers to the practice employed at old reggae soundclashes

to progress 'forward' in the clash and basically stay in the competition - you need to get approval from the crowd for the tunes you're playing

gunshots in the air meant the crowd want a rewind

so

"lickwood means rewind - gunshot means forward"

Tim Westwood used to play the sample as part of a jingle for his Capital Rap Show programs...

it would go:

"... Sound boy, I would like to see

Your sound catch a fire

Selector drinking ice water

That will a cool off his temper...

Lickwood mean rewind gunshot means forward

You requested it so we rewind

On the Capital Rap Show,

ninety-five point eight"

It is the possible source for the sample, although I would be inclined to think Tim Westwood got the

originator of the phase to re-do it, dubplate style, as a special jingle for him.

• 2 years later...

Ok, Ive done some research on this. the most likely sample source is from an intro on a 1990 Fashion 12" - version of Cutty Ranks' The stopper (Main attraction remix).

The general consensus amongst reggae nerds seems to be that this is the voice of longtime deejay Jah Walton alias Joseph Cotton, and he did this as an intro/jingle for fashion in the late 80s/early 90s... which fits in with the westwood theory - this was also heard on Rodigans show AFAIK.

Ok, Ive done some research on this. the most likely sample source is from an intro on a 1990 Fashion 12" - version of Cutty Ranks' The stopper (Main attraction remix).

The general consensus amongst reggae nerds seems to be that this is the voice of longtime deejay Jah Walton alias Joseph Cotton, and he did this as an intro/jingle for fashion in the late 80s/early 90s... which fits in with the westwood theory - this was also heard on Rodigans show AFAIK.

Can/should this be cross posted to sample sources?

• 4 years later...