the all time british pirate radio list

blah

hehe...yeah I was on both 104.3 stations :hug:

Remarc was on Weekend Rush

Spinback (not Legend Recs guy) was someone who I listened to loads on Dream. Swiftlee = Swifflee

Also...

Kool FM, Birmingham.

DJs: Devize, JB, Spice, Hazard

MCs: errrrr...

Should we be putting who owned/ran the stations as well?

Kool Midlands = JB

Kool London = Eastman

Ruud Awakening = Chillum & Syras

Rude (104.3) = Chillum, Syras & 2 others who I forgot

Rude (88.2) = The 2 above mentioned

Rude (104.3) = Wrecky B & Fugitive / Chillum & Syras

Rude (88.2) = Wrecky B (original owner of passion 91.8 fm London as well)

Rude came on air originally as Raw 104.6 FM in 91 but after a studio raid and about 3 months off air they relaunched as rude fm in 1992

Original Raw & Rude Djs -- Frogger , Wrecky , Aky , BFG , Kie , Scotty , Gti , Fee , Gee , Mk II

*** Frogger Original Rude Fm Soldier 91/97 ***

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found an old select magazine article the other day about defection fm and a few others and when I get the time I will scan it in.

got a few others someware like the dream fm one in their mag of the same name and a don fm one someware

• 2 weeks later...

Alright All,

Please visit www.londonpirates.co.uk

We're kinda building the exact resource you are all talking about.

It's still under construction but we'd value any help you can give us.

We're looking for stories, pics, info, mixes etc.

Also check www.myspace.com/londonpirates

Biggup!

Loz

• 2 weeks later...

defection fm interview scans, sorry had to use sendspace because they are such a small text I cannot host em on image yshack as they look crap otherwise.

http://38.99.150.139/dl/e90d609f2828d4452e...fection%201.JPG

http://38.99.150.163/dl/399843780567b5b457...fection%202.JPG

http://38.99.150.144/dl/732f22659ee7f06f82...fection%203.JPG

Alright All,

Please visit http://www.londonpirates.co.uk

We're kinda building the exact resource you are all talking about.

It's still under construction but we'd value any help you can give us.

We're looking for stories, pics, info, mixes etc.

Also check http://www.myspace.com/londonpirates

Biggup!

Loz

• 2 months later...
I have so far done 20-30 tape rips from 92 to 95 of various stations

this is well interesting but he wants you to pay to download em which is annoying

http://www.eboytrader.com/latest_products....6fbd8f49bc74e88

blah, ive got most of those mixes listed there (the old centreforce ones etc) .. 20 or 30 rips you say :ohmy: do you fancy doing a dvd swap of some kind?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
cyndicut 97.8 fm est 1989, back on the air,broadcasting over essex,kent and east london also streaming from www.solidvinyl.co.uk & www.myspace.com/cyndicutfm catch me every saturday 12 till 2pm add the myspace to keep upto date on news,guest shows etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I didnt have time to read through the whole list I couldnt see the station that I am on which is

House FM 88.6 (Obviously House music)

Past DJs with regular shows include Normski, Alex P, Brandon Block, Danny Rampling plus a club night residency with MOS

Current DJs include Leo, Clemey Riley, Guy Robin, Jamesey, Junior J & Kris Darang

7 days a week www.housefm.net

Definitely the most professional underground radio station out there...

name: MAD FM

freq: 90.6

area: Hertfordshire

known years running: 1990/1-1993

basic style genre: Oldskool

known dj's: 2 Stoned crew (2 bad mice in disguise), dj lucky, dj active, dj duffy

I have 1 tape remaining of the station! Broadcasted out of Hertford town centre among other areas.

name: Perception FM/Reception FM

freq: (cant remember)

known years running: Not sure

basic style genre: All music, from dnb to house to reggae and oldskool to uk garage

known dj's: Unknown

It still running as we speak, out of stevenage i think.

name: Frequncy FM

freq: 101.4fm

known years running: 1991-1993

known dj's: DJ Legacy (myself), DJ Twist, DJ Nitemare, DJ Donny P, DJ Shiva

Got bust when the aerial got blown down in high winds.

name: Unknown FM

freq: 108.0 fm

area: hertfordshire (not 100% though)

known years running : no idea

basic style genre: no idea, it was house today

known dj's: no idea

was listening to it for the first time today, whilst shopping in hertford tesco.

• 4 months later...

I dunno, today's pirate stations are nothing like they used to be! I can only pick 2 or 3 up where I am and not that well either, nevermind.

Back in the day I used to listen to these:

Touch FM:

Based on the Isle of Sheppey

Can't remember the frequency now, they transmitted for a few months from about Oct '93 until spring 1994 then went off air never to return for some reason.

Main styles were hardcore/ drum & bass and jungle.

DJs were: Paradise & Nugget (the twins) Cashin, Al, Bowler and Budboy. Oh and DJ Pooch.

They were on air earlier in '93 as Pleasure FM playing hardcore.

When Cashin was on the sets were always heavy on the scratch attack.

Wicked FM 91.8FM

Whitstable based station. This was a pukka station, only got the one tape of this staton recorded christmas day 1993. They transmitted throughout the day and about 90% of the tunes they played were dark as you like!

Main styles were hardcore/ jungle/ drum & bass, and some garage.

DJs were DJ Time, 386 amounst others.

Cyndicut 100.4FM

Essex Based, everyone knows this one. Got 2 tapes of this station from Jan '94 one of which got mostly taped over by accident. (gutted) Still need to post some clips of some of the tunes for ID off those tapes - the ones I still need on 12"

DJs on the tapes are Daz (who apparently goes under another name now??) and Fusion Beat - what's he up to these days???

DJ Daz did a live ad for Club Raw (Raw 4 '94) at the Red Lion, Crete Hall Rd, Gravesend starting 15th Jan '94 just before the start of his set on the tape. Wicked mike skills, the man.

A couple of obscure London pirates that I can't find info on:

Shockin'

Transmission 1

Usually nearly all pirates have 'FM' at the end of their names, these 2 didn't. A couple of pretty wicked stations circa 1994-95 playing upfront Jungle only. Loads of live ragga chanting bo's, and MC rhyming done really well (not annoying),and played some wicked obscure tunes as well.......

....................... .......................... ...................... ....................... ........................

Cyndicut 100.4FM

Essex Based, everyone knows this one. Got 2 tapes of this station from Jan '94 one of which got mostly taped over by accident. (gutted) Still need to post some clips of some of the tunes for ID off those tapes - the ones I still need on 12"

DJs on the tapes are Daz (who apparently goes under another name now??) and Fusion Beat - what's he up to these days???

DJ Daz did a live ad for Club Raw (Raw 4 '94) at the Red Lion, Crete Hall Rd, Gravesend starting 15th Jan '94 just before the start of his set on the tape. Wicked mike skills, the man.

now broadcasting @ 97.8fm also streaming online http://www.myspace.com/cyndicut978fm for the official myspace

roar 2007 @ the same venue :)

bigups !

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8886/roar2007aw6.jpg

• 8 months later...
name: MAD FM

freq: 90.6

known years running: 1990/1-1993

known dj's: 2 Stoned crew (2 bad mice in disguise), dj lucky, dj active, dj duffy

I have 1 tape remaining of the station! Broadcasted out of Hertford town centre among other areas.

Blimey that brings back some memories.

Would love an mp3 of that tape if you still have it mate?

• 3 months later...
name: Perception FM/Reception FM

freq: (cant remember)

known years running: Not sure

basic style genre: All music, from dnb to house to reggae and oldskool to uk garage

known dj's: Unknown

I can shed light on this one;-

Name:- Perception FM

Freq:- 106.8FM Sundays 12pm till Late.

Area:- Herts, Beds - Mainly Hitchin, Stevenage, Letchworth, Luton (Marsh Farm) & Bedford

Known Years running:- 92' onwards

Basic Style:- All music, from dnb to house to reggae and oldskool to uk garage

Known DJ's:- Munchie, Redeye, Barrington, Concrete, K.C, SY-Uss, Gappa G, Mafew, Ruffkut, Abyss, Rage, Perceptor - MC's 5-alive, Marshall and others.

We also had a lot of guest spots, I think Nookie played one night and some of the Kool fm guys came down more than once, can't remember names. I did a 2-3hr slot on sunday afternoon, playing intelligent dnb.... time of my life :)

• 1 month later...
Kool FM, Birmingham.

DJs: Devize, JB, Spice, Hazard

MCs: errrrr...

Kool Midlands = JB

Not sure about that - I know JB played on there but I think it was run by Astro J??

It was 105.6 and then 92.4 and ran from 1996 to 2002.

Djs I remember - Astro J, JB, Spice, Devize, Fuzion, Hazard, Escape, Shaggy, Jay Le Roc, Rayden, Crazy T, TNT, Glen Aston, MC Biggie, MC Acapello, Dutch E, Ellis the Menace, Dubmaster, Advance, Jazzy

http://koolfm.org.uk/

• 3 months later...
Not sure about that - I know JB played on there but I think it was run by Astro J??

It was 105.6 and then 92.4 and ran from 1996 to 2002.

Djs I remember - Astro J, JB, Spice, Devize, Fuzion, Hazard, Escape, Shaggy, Jay Le Roc, Rayden, Crazy T, TNT, Glen Aston, MC Biggie, MC Acapello, Dutch E, Ellis the Menace, Dubmaster, Advance, Jazzy

http://koolfm.org.uk/

Bit of extra info on Kool FM Midlands...

Name : Kool FM Midlands

Freq : 105.6 FM (From launch to 25/02/2001) then 92.4 FM until close in 2002 (Around April/May)

Area : Birmingham & surrounding

Years Running : Launching in 1996 (I'll get month) & rolling out until 2002. A major raid on 23/03/2002 all but ended the journey. Kool FM Midlands rolled on for approx 1-2 months after with less DJs each week.

Basic style/genre : Drum & Bass/Jungle/Old Skool

Other crew: Devious, Weazal, Skitty, Styla, Splash (Later changing to Surge), MC Biggie, MC Accapello ... Some guests included; Klute, Perfect Combination, Smokers Inc, MC Dynamite.

Kool FM, Birmingham.

Kool Midlands = JB

This one's a common misconception. JB didn't run Kool FM Midlands, although I think he did have a little more input in things than some DJs on the station.

FuZion.

• 3 weeks later...
following a quick discussion at the rdb piss up I am gonna do a ruff guide to known pirate radio stations and could do with some help as I did a few lists years ago but not all I can remember are on them plus loads from areas I don't know about.

only need simple imput like

name:

freq:

area:

known years running (not essential but helpful)

basic style genre: (most rave stations had chilled or oldschool/house reggae/dub on sundays)

known dj's: (before some got famous)

any other info like pics, interviews, articles in newspapers/magazines is all welcome.

It may take a LONG while before I do anything with it (may try to get it in rdb some how) but it needs to be done as it is a completely forgotten pastime that needs to be archived before it's completely forgotten because of internet as we ALL have been affected by their free services in the past and they deserve some reconition for their time on air.

PHONIC FM 88.8

BRIGHTON & HOVE (SUSSEX)

Fridays from 6pm till late

Saturdays from 6pm till late

Sundays from 1pm till 10pm

Music genre:

oldskool hardcore,jungle,dNb,dubstep,garage,grime,acid house and all varieties of house,reggae,blues,jazz,soul,funk,breaks,breakbeat,hardcore,trance,hiphop,

RnB and anything else we can fit in..

going to air this coming friday...done test transmission...

biggest names so far are Dj Trevelyan from Undiluted records and Gappa G (ruffkutt records)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Steve, Having a tiding up through hundreds of CDs i found your double Don FM CD you put together of the final broadcast!

Nice with the fold out sleeve, madness it was December 1999 you put that together!

Wicked mate, having a listen again.

Hehe, nice one mate.

Yeah, ten years ago, crikey.

One of these days, I'm gonna try and get the rest of the old VHS (yes, VHS!) tapes off of Nut and get them ripped before they break up - I hope he's still got them intact, as there was about 30 hours or so of studio recordings on them.