rolldabeats relaunched!

haste

I possibly will have a couple of critisisms, possibly around the release display page. However, mostly did you not think to add the 'screenshot' icon to the listings, suggested by Iamdek here? I see the '@' collection icon is still there... a little redundant seeing you now have the '+' and '-' indicators on the left! Maybe this could be replaced, with the image indicator

I had meant to get rid of them for the relaunch but just didn't get round to it. They will be replaced with the number of that tune that you have in your collection. Or, I could just remove them altogether, don't mind either way.

The thing you are talking about here, is the mean average. There are other averaging methods available, like median & mode. It is possible to work out an algorhythm that takes these concerns into account, it would take some head scratching that's all.

I know there are different types of averages but, even though I know I'm no mathematician, I fail to see how these would really solve the problem that we have here. I can think of ways to solve this but it's just something that I don't want to have to spend time on (for now). There's far more important work to do on the database than spend hours on this in terms of development and data entry

I think release rating and individual track ratings would be a great idea, I dont see why that should cause any confusion. Next to each track you would have stars and AJAX options to change rating. There's no reason why that would conflict with a seperate release rating.

As well, one good thing about a free standing release rating is that often, an album can be more than the sum of its parts. Relatively crap tracks can indeed work well as part of the overall flow of a album. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On LP is one such example - most of the tracks on that are pretty weak to be honest! yet as an album it is rated as one of the all time classics, heh heh :biggrin: So that might be an argument against having an averaged rating.

I'm sure it wouldn't cause confusion, I just know that I have a lot of plans for that area below the track names and have a lot of new functionality and info to fit in. Another star rating system would be technically very easy, I'm just trying to see how it fits in with all the future stuff.

Like I said, I do like the idea and intend to implement it!

Never saw what the fuss was about that album anyway :wink:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new features, the site design itself looks a bit 'unsorted' to me. But maybe it's just the first look and we will get used to it.

Anyhow, the feature updates are really good. Now we just need an API on the top of the system and we're ready to build applications using rdb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Is there still the text file version for easy copy & pasting available, i can't see how to get to it from the items main page if there is? I used that a lot!

This is now back on the site - sorry for taking so long to get it there!

This is now back on the site - sorry for taking so long to get it there!

nice! just noticed that it was back a day or two ago..

and btw what's the difference between basic and extended views?

edit: basic hides the genre information :thumbsup:

nice! just noticed that it was back a day or two ago..

and btw what's the difference between basic and extended views?

edit: basic hides the genre information :thumbsup:

There will be a lot more coming for the extended view including track ratings and the community admin tools (adding videos etc.)

It will also show stuff like the track engineer, original release and official videos, but these are a little way off

• 7 months later...

Hi RDB,

Did you ever have a look at the possibility of individual track ratings? We had a few ideas knocked about here & there & was wondering if you think there's a chance of it happening. I've been holding off adding my ratings in case things should change.

Cheers, FuZion.

Absolutely. That'll be appearing in the next couple of weeks. I've got it working in our dev environment and we're just waiting for some major database changes to happen and we'll be launching an updated front end with a few more bits & pieces, that being one of them :)

Absolutely. That'll be appearing in the next couple of weeks. I've got it working in our dev environment and we're just waiting for some major database changes to happen and we'll be launching an updated front end with a few more bits & pieces, that being one of them :)

Beautiful.

Looking forward to it already.

FuZion.