Label: Capitol

Cat number: V-15386

Year: 1988

Drummer:

Also available on:

Example:

Bay B Kane - Good Good Sensi

Notes:

Early hardcore tracks often used this track as a source for their 'amen' breakbeat. However, it doesn't sound very nice on a 45rpm really, does it, and has long since been relegated to the scrapheap as a drum & bass breakbeat...

Clip: HERE

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I happened to notice this beat being used out & about the other week in a new tune apparently by Skitty. Can be heard at the end of this set: http://soundcloud.com/rupture/skitty-live-from-rupture . Good to see this variant hasn't been forgotten about.

Otherwise, can be heard used in:

Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (Rollin' Roasted Mix)

Also, how amazing to see King Of The Beats being used in the recent William Hill advert - that was pretty awesome to hear!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Mwuhahaha

Satin Storm "Lets Get Together"

Seriously what the ... ? No further explanation needed.

Are you talking about how badly quantised it is? It is pretty rough, although at the time I don't remember being particularily bothered by it, I spose we had to make do with what we got and it all was pretty lo fi back then (late late 92)... saying that there was talk of a remake of this not so long back and the other one "Think I'm Going..." which is as well, almost unacceptably rough to today's ears. I don't know why they were so badly done, not all of his stuff was like that... Maybe he intended them to be like that...

Are you talking about how badly quantised it is? It is pretty rough, although at the time I don't remember being particularily bothered by it, I spose we had to make do with what we got and it all was pretty lo fi back then (late late 92)... saying that there was talk of a remake of this not so long back and the other one "Think I'm Going..." which is as well, almost unacceptably rough to today's ears. I don't know why they were so badly done, not all of his stuff was like that... Maybe he intended them to be like that...

Yep, the quantizing. Let's call it rough. Maybe he had a hardware sequencer and had to record the notes and didn't know how to quantize after. Funny about the remake though, I was planning to do that. But meh, I'll just give it a remix. About the lo-fi stuff, I understand that gear was limited and expensive at the time. You know I built my entire studio of cheap gear they used to use back in the day, but they probably just has one Akai S950 and Atari OR just an Amiga without a mixer... But that's all part of the fun. I love lo-fi.

He also might have taken a piss y'know. Because the tune is actually pretty good.

Let's get together is hardcore to the fu**in' bone, absolute killer. He would of known it was rough quality and poorly quantized as other Satin Storm tracks eclipse this in both categories. Love the mashed 808 bass!!

Underneath the rust and mud there is an absolute banger. When I listened again and again to the quantization I started to appreciate the tune ;) 'Ardcore you know the score!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Otherwise, can be heard used in:

Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (Rollin' Roasted Mix)

Looks like I mentioned Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (Rollin' Roasted Mix)

As way of note, there's a mix of this Renegade Snares on the album, labelled Rob's Reconstruction Mix, that I've always wondered about. Its ostentiably the same, but there was always something different about it that I couldn't put my finger on.

Well, I've figured it out. The original Rollin Roasted mix uses this, the 'Mantronix' amen, where as the reconstructed mix is using a plain 'flat' amen in it ;)

It also has a few other changes that are more obvious, such as some vocal samples during the breakdown not in the orignal mix and slight other deviations.

Incidentally a discussion came up on the 'beautifully crafted' fb group which might shed some light on this. David Davies (of DJ Trax/Mix Race fame) speaks of a hard drive crash at Moving Shadow where a number of tunes in progress got lost

https://www.facebook...47119128740843/

So maybe this Rollin Roasted mix now only exists on the vinyl... unless there's a CD single?