Partial 2nd Gen Think Break

Mr.Sensi

Dj Dextrous & H-Pee - Hot Flame

Hard Drive - Original Rude Boy Tune

Marvellous Cain - Hitman (Dream Team mix)

Rus De Tox & Teebone - Selectors Roll

Those tunes use the same think break. The only difference between that version and the original is a noticeable punchy low-end on the kick. Anyone know the source? It's been driving me nuts for a long time.

It could definitely be an 808 or the tail end of an 808. I've thought about that as well. It's still sampled from something though. Whether it's a sample cd or an old hip hop record, I don't know.

Another example that's clearer...

It wasn't eq'd out as much in that tune.

Oh and just to throw a spanner in the works, it could also be from the instrumental mix of Sugar Bear - Don't Scandalize Mine.

Both think breaks sound very similar in terms of processing but the bass drum sounds deeper on the EPMD tune. This one came out before EPMD - Gold Digger did so maybe EPMD sampled it from Sugar Bear and beefed it up a bit? God knows!

• 1 month later...

It's the Scandalize instrumental. Golddigger has more going on that isn't present in any of those tunes.

I'm not sure this is right... I think your looking at two different break sounds in the examples you've given.

I'd say the Dextrous usage is from the EPMD sample where as the Sugar Bear variant sounds more like the one used in some of Dillinja's tunes for instance. Looking closer at your examples I guess that would cover the Shy FX track also. Well anyhow, worth a fiddle if anyone wants to knock up an example

I'm not sure Masta Ace - Letter To The Better sounds like anything in this thread?? (although, pretty certain it has been used in hardcore)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure this is right... I think your looking at two different break sounds in the examples you've given.

I'd say the Dextrous usage is from the EPMD sample where as the Sugar Bear variant sounds more like the one used in some of Dillinja's tunes for instance. Looking closer at your examples I guess that would cover the Shy FX track also. Well anyhow, worth a fiddle if anyone wants to knock up an example

I'm not sure Masta Ace - Letter To The Better sounds like anything in this thread?? (although, pretty certain it has been used in hardcore)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EXAWVAJH

if I had to chose though i'd say it's EPMD - Gold Digger. the snare has more of a 'splat' sound like the 4 tunes in the original post.

Dude, did you even listen to what I posted?

This isn't up for debate. The Gold Digger bass drum is a few notes lower and thus out of key with, as my example uses, Selector's Roll. "Don't Scandalize Mine" is the break.

I agree with Mr.Sensi.

When I originally posted up the two tunes I was only listening on laptop speakers but after listening on some proper speakers I can instantly tell that the source is "Don't Scandalize Mine".

I think the two slightly different versions of this break used depends on which part of "Scandalize" is sampled, as one bar of the break has a heavily processed bass drum (eg: Marvellous Cain - Hitman [Dream Team Remix]) and the next bar hasn't (eg: Leviticus - Burial) - if that makes any sense? :)

*EDIT* Oh and yes, the "Gold Digger" bass drum is too deep and boomy when compared to "Don't Scandalize Mine", at least that's what my ears/speakers tell me, heh!

Dude, did you even listen to what I posted?

This isn't up for debate. The Gold Digger bass drum is a few notes lower and thus out of key with, as my example uses, Selector's Roll. "Don't Scandalize Mine" is the break.

yeah I did listen.

true, but with akai samplers you can timestretch/timecompress so I'll see if I can make something up with my s950 and if it fails the test then we know it's not golddigger.

but hmmm thinking about it now that bassnote underneath does go on for quite a long time.

yeah I did listen.

true, but with akai samplers you can timestretch/timecompress so I'll see if I can make something up with my s950 and if it fails the test then we know it's not golddigger.

but hmmm thinking about it now that bassnote underneath does go on for quite a long time.

If he time stretched the sample it would be extremely noticeable, like the way he time stretches the Future Music think on Lovable. If it was time stretched I would have noticed it without a question... Just listen to the pitch of the break - It hasn't be stretched. It's the exact same pitch as Don't Scandalize Mine.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
Woah, wish I'd found this thread a year ago! That splatty snare think layer up has been doing my head in for a year! Big thanks to those of you that identified it from those hip hop tunes. I spent ages layering up different Thinks myself in Kontakt but could never get it to sound right. Here is another possibly second generation Think which may not have been identified yet. It's quite low pitched, very gritty & heavy sounding: