Reel 2 Reel/De Underground etc

haste

OK, this needs sorting out, just as De Underground stuff always does.

Dara's been doing a load of stuff for discogs and I've stolen all of his info (cheers dude :lol: :wink: )

Firstly, there is no artist called Reel 2 Reel. That's just the label name

All "Mix to the max" & "Brothers in Arms" releases were A-sides

Direct Force is not a separate label - they are all releases on Reel 2 Reel. The Bun Cali Weed 12" (JGS003) is by A-Sides. No idea where we got this label name from, Direct Force was a promotions company

On RTOR you should change the release artist of We R IE to Lennie De Ice, not too sure about the other tunes on there.

We could leave the rest of the artists as Reel 2 Reel still but might be worth changing them to ???. I'll see what else I can find out, anyone else got any Reel 2 Reels that they can have a look at to find artist names

Related: Dara's thread on discogs about this

http://www.discogs.com/forums/topic?topic_id=57536

Pretty much the same as we'd sorted out on here earlier but the thing about going by label names printed on releases does effect some of what we have in the db. Not because this is a new "rule" for us but because we haven't been enforcing it. things labelled as IE Records wil have to be split from now on,. I'll have to check my copies but there are defiitely some relases we have down as Reel 2 Reel that should be under IE (one you can do right now is RTOR)

I can see this one getting very confusing :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there are 3 versions of JSG001. OR at least there are three 12s with the same b-side. Im gonna check my copy of Bunn Cali Weed at home as I'm not sure we have the correct cat no for that. Anyone have any more of these 12s?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest uk-vinyl
Firstly, there is no artist called Reel 2 Reel. That's just the label name

Sorry to say this Haste but i am pretty sure Reel 2 Reel was an artist name as well as the label. The artists were John Aymer and some other guy (i can't remember his name). I believe i have a 12 somewhere of R2R on R2R Records - if i find it i will post the details.

Sorry m8 - i know this does your head in!

Sorry to say this Haste but i am pretty sure Reel 2 Reel was an artist name as well as the label. The artists were John Aymer and some other guy (i can't remember his name). I believe i have a 12 somewhere of R2R on R2R Records - if i find it i will post the details.

Sorry m8 - i know this does your head in!

I know what you're saying...I wasn't quite clear enough, I think. Reel 2 Reel was printed as an artist name but it was more of a collective thing. There are 12s that I have that were by numerous artists but all appeared under the "Reel 2 Reel" artist.

Kinda hard to explain. It's gonna be so hard to figure out who did what on this label until we can tlak to some of those involved in it. DOn't worry though, I know someone who is on the case ;)

Guest uk-vinyl
Reel 2 Reel was printed  as an artist name but it was more of a collective thing. There are 12s that I have that were by numerous artists but all appeared under the "Reel 2 Reel" artist.

You are right of course, i would only point out that head honcho was John of the Aymer clan. You seem to be getting somewhere now m8 :)

Yeah, I think we have him down as owning the label and being Reel 2 Reel at the moment. I hope to split it all up a bit more but, to be honest, don't have that much hope of ever getting to the bottom of this one :lol:

Thijs - I think the artist for the second track on here should be "Raw From China"

i know that 'Raw from China 3' was by A Sides & Lennie De ice. i spoke to a mate only yesterday who got most Reel to Reel on test press straight from A Sides back in the Day.

I dont see him that often but he is a goldmine of info, will have to speak to him, i bet he knows most of the artists behind these Reel 2 Reel tunes.

i know that 'Raw from China 3' was by A Sides & Lennie De ice. i spoke to a mate only yesterday who got most Reel to Reel on test press straight from A Sides back in the Day.

dunno about that...

from A-sides:

guy called josh.. dont know his second name, from southampton

:)

In these sort of cases when it's likely that we'll never find out their full real name why don't we list them as "Josh Raw From China" or something like that. At least that way we have a real name entry for them, or at least a partial real name. There are lots of artists that we know first names of but haven't put them in the database due to not knowing the entire name....would make sense to do this, if you ask me

Oh shit, we're getting somewhere :D

Dara says: (2:48:35 PM) was Stooge Reel 2 Reel geezer's brother??

a-sides says: (2:52:24 PM) yeah he was strings brother

Dara says: (2:52:36 PM) String was reel 2 reel owner??

a-sides says: (2:52:53 PM) no

a-sides says: (2:53:02 PM) that was john

a-sides says: (2:53:13 PM) him and string had share

a-sides says: (2:53:52 PM) but reel 2 reel was more johns thing

Dara says: (2:53:57 PM) De Ug label weren't owned by Randall was it??

a-sides says: (2:54:05 PM) no Mike

a-sides says: (2:54:18 PM) mainly mikey run everything there

Dara says: (2:54:52 PM) was John Flex's cousin??

a-sides says: (2:55:04 PM) brother

a-sides says: (2:55:18 PM) flex, mikey and john all brothers

So Mike De Underground = Mike Aymer and owner of De Underground

String = Other owner of Reel 2 Reel, but the label was basically just run by John

Stooge = String's brother who ran this label

http://www.discogs.com/label/Stooge+Productions

Also should be linked to Reel 2 Reel

another interesting thing to find out, how Reel 2 Reel were involved with the ITV Telethon?

I have no idea...it is definitely the weirdest and most random thing I've ever seen on a hardcore 12".....just!

I'd be very surprised if they had anything to do with the Telethon, I'm sure they just put the logo on there for a laugh.

http://pages.infinit.net/bluefire/Images/conf44.gif

A live day long television broadcast run by the largest commercial tv channel over here in order to raise money for charity. They just put a big 24 hour program on and people rang in to donate money and all sorts of crap celebrities came on and did stupid stuff in an attempt to get more cash in

Quite why a tiny hardcore label has anything to do with this I have no idea

Thijs...slight confusion over

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/reel_2_reel/rdr3

I was suggesting that the second tune on that reocord should be

Raw From China - ??? (Part 3 Omen Mix)

This is going to be hard to represent without track names. Maybe we need to go through the Raw From China releases giving them standard track names so that we can work out the remixes on the 12s. I'm not sure if I have any of them though, so could be tricky....anyone got all four?