Rap & Aston?

neurotix

Can anybody help me please with the break on the intro of Rap & Aston - Get rushed, buried under Think please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRSzKLFBsY

I have a feeling its the same break used on the intro Bizzy B - Big tings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3s5bPgQsk

The ghost snares make it sound like an edited Fierce Joy break, but i dont think it is. Sure its been used a lot.

(Its Track 30_002 on Zero G Jungle Flavour if anyone has that)

I also think it forms part of this filtered intro break used in Peshay - nocturnal

Ok, I think I was right, it is the break i thought it was -

Kool and the Gang - NT

It can sound very different with tape sat and eq!!!

Dont often hear it pitched up that high, am used to hearing at as a hip hop tune - NWA, Pub Enemy, Redman/Adam F, Q Tip etc

although I dont know why Zero G calls it fierce joy? Presumably a name from another tune it was sampled in?

Lads, while we're there!

The one on that Peshay tune, the flanged one, I've heard that in Inner City Life as well as a few Cold Mission tunes.

So where does that particular one come from? Any ideas?

Dunno what you mean exactly, but Inner City Life uses a combination of the Apache and the Funky Mule break.

We

Lads, while we're there!

The one on that Peshay tune, the flanged one, I've heard that in Inner City Life as well as a few Cold Mission tunes.

So where does that particular one come from? Any ideas?

Well I dont think that's the same one used in Peshay, same break but different filter edits, almost certainly EMU filters, love 'em. The Peshay one appeared on the Reinforced - Planet DnB sample CD, and was subsequently kaned to death. I think the Reinforced CD came out later than peshay- nocturnal, so maybe they just lifted it from there? I think Source Direct used it as well.

We

Well I dont think that's the same one used in Peshay, same break but different filter edits, almost certainly EMU filters, love 'em. The Peshay one appeared on the Reinforced - Planet DnB sample CD, and was subsequently kaned to death. I think the Reinforced CD came out later than peshay- nocturnal, so maybe they just lifted it from there? I think Source Direct used it as well.

Rob Playford used an Akai S-1100 for Innercity Life.

He was never an E-mu man! I use an Akai S-1000, it's perfectly capable of doing this sort of chopping and filtering. Very clever how he did it tho, but we figured it out.

More examples of the flanged NT

Fire guys! It's Goldie on Internal Affairs!

I thought the Eventide - Ultra Harmonizer was responsible for most the rubberised beat effects.

This sounds like a normal flanger to me. Would love to know where this particular one came from. I've deffo heard it on a couple of Metalheadz tunes as well...

You are right about the Eventide though. Often mis-interpreted as timestretching.

The processed N.T break in Internal Affairs, Inner City Life and Metropolis and later on the sample CD are all the same, created at Dollis Hill in 1993 by Marc and Dego. Goldie was present during the 'white coat sessions' where a great deal of re sampling of breaks and keyboards were recorded down to make a library. Goldie used tracks started at Reinforced with Playford to make Timeless, and later handed out copies of the sample session DATs to Metalheadz artists to get the vibe he wanted.

The processed N.T break in Internal Affairs, Inner City Life and Metropolis and later on the sample CD are all the same, created at Dollis Hill in 1993 by Marc and Dego. Goldie was present during the 'white coat sessions' where a great deal of re sampling of breaks and keyboards were recorded down to make a library. Goldie used tracks started at Reinforced with Playford to make Timeless, and later handed out copies of the sample session DATs to Metalheadz artists to get the vibe he wanted.

Fucking wicked. That's the kinda info I want to hear... Any insight to the Reinforced/Metheadz/Playford biz appreciated.