POLICE vs LION8 vs CONGONATTY3

geist

so rdb lists three different cat#'s , for three different release (presses on 3 diff occasions, apparently), where the track on one side is "Original Ses (Police In Helicopter)" and the other track is "Yes Selectah"

if you have the promo, how the hell do you tell which one is which? Especially since I can't tell which cat#'s in the database actually correspond to what is supposed to be etched on the vinyl, and which cat#'s were created by websites like rdb or discogs for cataloging purposes?

The white label I have has no other etchings than "ORIGINAL SES" on one side, and " "YES SELECTOR" " (the quotes appear as well) on the other side. So which release is this?

Is it the cat# "POLICE"

or "LION8"

or "CONGONATTY3"

?????

• 1 month later...
so rdb lists three different cat#'s , for three different release (presses on 3 diff occasions, apparently), where the track on one side is "Original Ses (Police In Helicopter)" and the other track is "Yes Selectah"

if you have the promo, how the hell do you tell which one is which? Especially since I can't tell which cat#'s in the database actually correspond to what is supposed to be etched on the vinyl, and which cat#'s were created by websites like rdb or discogs for cataloging purposes?

The white label I have has no other etchings than "ORIGINAL SES" on one side, and " "YES SELECTOR" " (the quotes appear as well) on the other side. So which release is this?

Is it the cat# "POLICE"

or "LION8"

or "CONGONATTY3"

?????

bump

It would seem that your release is not CONGONATTY3 because that is a full release version (although it may be you have a white of it)

I would say that you have what is currently LION8 in the database. Thats because if its anything like this release: http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44133

then it was added to the database as LION8 soley due to the stickered information on the sleeve and no record / bearing was given to what was actually etched.

I would hazard a guess that the entry in the database POLICE is a wholly incorrect one. Either it simply does not exist, or is an extremely poor representation of the cat numbers you have mentioned that are on the release that you own -

i.e. "ORIGINAL SES" b/w "YES SELECTOR".

I have done a lot of work with the Congo Natty releases and have seen a lot of bad entries based on assumed cat numbers and mixed up second hand information, so this being so would not be of much surprise to me. :wink:

• 1 month later...

More relevant information on LION series Congo Natty's

LION5 is etched up as this apparently!

does it have any etchings?

Yes - "Jah 'star' Sunshine" "DUBPLATE 1 'star'"

So LION5 as well is not actaully etched with a LIONxx cat number...

(n.b. LION10 is etched "dub plate 3 *" / "conquering lion *")

• 11 years later...

Ok, this is interesting - I have found a ref for the POLICE cat. no

https://www.juno.co....pters/82282-01/

So seems it was actually listed like this on Juno, and not just a mistranslation on its way over to here

That one is dated 28 Sep 01, though a later entry there for LION8 is dated 23 Apr 03. Regardless, both list the same tracklisting, and the clips indicate at least one has the "Original Ses" and the other "Yes Selectah"

I would hazard that they are precisely the same white label release, but the later one basically a redistribution... Though, it is interesting to see on discogs an earlier white label ZION 8 did see a repress, as the later edition from 2009 has a different MPO stamper ring impression - here.

Those two are ten years apart however. And this of course this saw a reissue, as CONGONATTY3