Ed Rush and Optical - Pod

geist

ok, so I finally got a copy of this track. RDB lists it as unreleased, but isn't it just a test press?

I'm not familiar with the protocol for what counts as an unreleased track, so maybe someone can clarify this for me, but my interpretation is that an unreleased track is like something sitting on a producer's harddrive, or as a dat, and if it ever was heard out it was off of a dubplate or serato set by the producer (or his circle of friends)

the copy I have is pressed up like a regular record, but it's one-sided with a blank (white) label sticker. This itself is insignificant for deciding what is 'released' and what is 'unreleased': Ed Rush and Optical have pressed up one-sided plain records before (the french kiss song, and I believe 'the message' was one sided as well).

in any case the etching reads "VRS009C", the only other etching is the mastering engineers signature (Simon at the Exchange). It has some light marks so I'm not 100% sure the "9" isn't some other number, but it pretty much seems like "VRS009C"

if anyone can give me some more history on this record, I would love to hear it - the "C" intrigues me - was this going to be part of some 2x12" ep?

In any case my recommended change is that this gets listed with a cat# like

"VRS009TP",

and that the status of "unreleased" just gets changed to "limited test press". I mean, I know that only a small handful of people got copies of this, but it still got pressed up like a regular record and distributed in SOME quantity.

I think it's simply that we weren't aware that it had actually been pressed to vinyl at all... which is the general rule of thumb we use as to whether something is unreleased or not (being on CD but as part of mix doesn't count as being released, in our eyes).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Can anyone confirm on this? Discogs has it listed as VRS010 as well...

http://www.discogs.com/Ed-Rush-Optical-Fierce-Pod/release/1118234

The pic has written "POD VRS010" although its possible thats not what its etched

Also I have seen something about a two-sided copy of this, so its not clear how or what forms this was released in

Last thing to say is it got a digital release at some point. The release date on it is put as 1st Jan 2003 however I'm sure this was unavailable much later than that. Looks like it was more likely 15th February 2008 when it coincided with Ed Rush & Optical name their Top 10 Virus cuts of all time.. http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?t=557110