Octave One - Chillin' Out (Alternate Mix)

eXtreme

As played by Fabio @ Voodoo Magic II (cheers JJ for the mix btw) sounds like the structure of the tune is the same just a different main beat running through the track.

will do a clip.

I've just had a listen to the set and I thought it sounded the same as one of the released mixes. (That Fabio set is quality - Jazz Juice, What Ya Gonna Do, Drift To The Centre etc. http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif )

the released version (that i have at least) has the 'valley of the shadows' type beat, this one has more of a shuffly break used alot in 94/95. (sorry i dont know the break names) even has a few Amen hits.

will do a clip this evening.

Is the label of your copy like this:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=1219

or does it use capital letters for artist and track titles and have '31' in red letters.

Is the label of your copy like this:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=1219

or does it use capital letters for artist and track titles and have '31' in red letters.

the same as that one, i had a white lable copy at one point too that was the same also.

So theres a different version on vinyl ? :o :)

clip added above too.

the same as that one, i had a white lable copy at one point too that was the same also.

clip added above too.

Oh that's much different. That's the... oh bother I can't remember the break name... same beat from DJ Trace - Coffee! As opposed to the "Think" break!

The 'original' pressing of "Chillin' Out" does not have a different version on it - just the same mix as the 1996 red, pink & white repress'.

I wonder about that sub-heading to the track - '94 Mix ... does that make this one the '95 mix???

P.S. Oh and the intro's different - released version has that piano melody playing through it. But those 'amen' crashes are there, though...

• 4 weeks later...
the released version (that i have at least) has the 'valley of the shadows' type beat, this one has more of a shuffly break used alot in 94/95. (sorry i dont know the break names) even has a few Amen hits.
Oh that's much different.

I wonder about that sub-heading to the track - '94 Mix ... does that make this one the '95 mix???

Just been thinking about this. Clearly the mix eXtreme has is THE 1994 mix. The released version is the 1995 mix. Surely this is right?!! Can we then change database details for 31R001 to say "Chillin' Out '95"?

Convinced this is what it should be called - probably little more than a typo error at the time...

clip added above too.

The picture on discogs is of the original pressing, the repress came with the standard big red 31 and pinky/white house sleeve that the rest of the 31 releases have.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Getting a bit confused over this one so might be best for sumone to summarise what needs adding on this release?

There's a different version of 31001? or was this track released on another label/12" altogether?

yeah sorry, when i put 'the fabio one' i mean the tune played by fabio not a track by him.

& yes there are 2 different versions of 31R001. got to go out the office now so ill come back at lunch & try & make some more sense of it. :cool:

Guest Guest

Usually when releases are changed the etched is changed in the vinyl as well.

My original copy as pictured here - http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=1219

is etched on side A with the following: 31R001 A-01-1-1

Can someone check their copy and see if its the same, normally they would change it to something like this: 31R001 A-02 or similar.

I have a few promos on various labels that differ from the released versions and they always change the cat number slightly.

• 1 year later...

Mine, the 1996 released 'repress' says:

31R001 A-01-1-1

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/31_records/31r001

Note: This was defo a 1995 release

Track title is actually: Chillin' Out (94)

Track orders also seem to be incorrect! In spite of what the label says, Chillin' Out (94) is the A side track! (on the repress at least - maybe the 95 release has it on the B side?)

It is possible an earlier release of this was made, with the alternate mix, but I would imagine it was only ever TP only.

• 13 years later...

Right, can we get to the bottom of this once & for all?

Two full releases of this record.

1995: grey & white "31 records" label and matching house sleeve, as currently seen in the database http://www.rolldabea..._records/31r001

a: technology.

aa: chillin' out ('94)

I don't have this version but a friend at the time did, released around the same time as Skanna - Find Me if I remember rightly... as far as I always thought, this has the same expected version of "Chillin' Out" with the opening piano melody and You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet / FMCD#1 think break variant in it. I also remember from hearing earlier on Kool FM for the first time that summer.

- - - - -

1996: more familiar pink, red & white "31 RECORDS" label and matching house sleeve,

A. TECHNOLOGY

AA. CHILLIN' OUT (94)

This is the one I have, which I purchased slightly after Randall played it on his 26.06.96 Kiss show, which I was surprised about as it was an 'old' tune to me, so why was he playing it (obviously, as it was being reissued). My copy also still has the Fat Cat sales sticker & hand written blurb on it, which confirms from that time as their store on Earlham St, Covent Garden shut in 1997. As far as I was concerned, it was exactly the same tracks as the earlier press, just a revamped art/design for the sleeve & labels

Though, the track details on label are wrong, and is actually "Chillin' Out" on the a-side / logo side. It's 45rpm and is stamped (ie. an EMI pressing)

31R001 A-01-1-1

31R001 AA-01-1-1

Just doing a rough timing at ±0%, its ~7m20s long and it's the one that starts with the piano melody, with the same break as described above, as heard on the Doc Scott Artcore 2 mix cd

Now I'm seeing all this suggestion that one version has one version of it and the other the other, that the normal expected version is actually the 'deleted mix' and even on discogs that the later release is from 1998 but as far as I am aware this is all nonsense so what is going on??

What adds more to the confusion is someone has added the run-outs 31R001 A-2-1-1 b/w 31R001 AA-2-1-1 to the later version, and, presently, has a duration of 6:35, though looks like that was inherited from draft from the older one... though someone has since updated that to have duration 7:26, which corresponds to mine.

Other thread on the subject, http://rolldabeats.c...showtopic=54248