Dave Charlesworth - Energizer / Dance Conspiracy - Dub Wars

Angela Merkya

I have scoured the internet for info about this break and here is as much as I know. It was used on both sides of Dave Charlesworth's Energizer 1 and Dance Conspiracy's Dub Wars Chapter 1.

Energizer (44s and a bit clearer at 1m33s, appears to be layered with other breaks and basslines including King Sun - Cold New Yorkin)

Dub Wars Chapter 1 (20s, after the Amen)

https://youtu.be/ZXxkVTEOGA8

Pretty sure it's a second gen hip hop break as it appears to be composed and edited from several other breaks and hits (which makes IDing it harder).

The only other lead I have is a Youtube comment on a Dub Wars rip that mentions T La Rock/Mantronik. This would be plausible given the style of the break but I can't find anything resembling it on any of the album tracks that they did together (though it could be on a 12")

Would be hugely grateful if anyone can ID this one, and super super happy if anyone has a clean WAV to share.

Ahh yeah, it's the one also from Made In Two Minutes

It's a bit hard to distinguish what's going on in the Dub War tune as so much is layered, there's even a "hoola" from the Kool & The Gang N.T. break thrown in from somewhere, kinda random

The correct break id is this, was chuffed to stumble on it some time back

Oop, just seen you've mentioned the King Sun break, let me have another listen

Ahh yeah, it's the one also from Made In Two Minutes

It's a bit hard to distinguish what's going on in the Dub War tune as so much is layered, there's even a "hoola" from the Kool & The Gang N.T. break thrown in from somewhere, kinda random

The correct break id is this, was chuffed to stumble on it some time back

Oop, just seen you've mentioned the King Sun break, let me have another listen

Hey much appreciated but it's definitely not Cold New Yorkin. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this because the two breaks sound very similar.

You can hear the King Sun break on its own at the start of Energizer and then the break I am trying to ID comes in at 44s. The ID break is then played on its own at 1m33s without Cold New Yorkin.

I'm pretty sure Dub War uses the break on its own without Cold New Yorkin (it is layered with the Amen than comes in a few bars before though).

Made in 2 minutes is just the King Sun break. ID break is distinctive for having that extra snare on that extra 8th note snare after the first downbeat, and at first I thought I might be one of the beats edits from the dub version of Made in 2 Minutes; but I've tried editing it myself and it definitely isn't the ID break.

Interestingly, GTO's Elevation (Troll mix) uses the ID break with Cold New Yorkin but I assume they sampled it from Energizer.

I'm pretty sure Dub War uses the break on its own without Cold New Yorkin (it is layered with the Amen than comes in a few bars before though).

I will need to try & cut out that break from the Energizer track and slow it down to listen, unfortunately this computer I'm using doesn't do mix audio record!

Interestingly that Energizer track actually uses a different segment of Cold New Yorkin to all the other usages I've heard of it.

• 4 weeks later...