Phokus

Break name: Boymerang

Artist: Boymerang

Track name: Soul Beat Runna

Original release: 12", Boymerang ? Soul Beat Runna / Mind Control

Label: Regal

Cat number: REG14

Year: 1997

Also available on: Boymerang ? Balance of the Force (Regal LP)

Examples: Cybotron feat. Dillinja ? Silver Blade; Trinity ? Picture on my Wall

Clip here

• 2 months later...

Definitely came from Soul Beat Runna, as the break is known as Soul Beat Runna!! Great work from Boymerang!

Interesting piece of useless knowledge: Soul Beat Runna featured on the soundtrack for World Cup '98 on the PS1!

Guest monkfish
and pressure 2004 by john b and blandwagon poos i think also i think total science used it on no 1 sound but dont have that at all so i could be wrong :rolleyes:

Grooverider was playing "Soul Beat Runna" it from early 1996 so deffo came first. However, I am so convinced that the break comes from somewhere else - there is something from it that always rang a bell with me.

Also you'll notice that not all '4 beats' of the break is sampleable from "Soul Beat Runna", thats why everyone else who uses it tends to retrigger it after the '3rd beat', if you know what I mean...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I used to have a studio with a guy in Manchester who used to know Dillinja very well and put out a few tunes on Valve. I remember we had this break lying around on a zip somewhere and I had always been puzzled as to how Dillinja had used it on Sliver Blade and 'got away with it' so to speak. I too had wondered if Boymerang had sampled it from somewhere else, that dillinja had found out where from and thought "oh, I can use it too then". I lost the inlay sleeves (that silver plastic cover was crap wasnt it!) so i dont know if Dillinja had anything to do with Boymerang's album but there doesnt appear to be any credit on Discogs. I asked my friend at the time and he said that Dillinja had just sampled it straight from Boymerang but had ok'd it with the help of Rider, and had found out that Boymerang had programmed it from scratch, using an assortment of breaks and drum machine hits. On the assumption that Boymerang did program it from scratch I set about trying to do it myself.

The kick drum is almost undoubtedly a hard-knee 909,

the hats are treated 808s open and closed,

there is a second hat that comes in with the kick and snare that is very bright and sounds like it is from an old percussion kit that everyone had called

x kit or xtc kit or something like that. The kit sounded especially good through an E-mu sampler with the filters turned on, which is what everyone was doing at the time to give it that extra 'sheen'.

There is a Zilgian-style searing ride that I suppose is really the main 'hook' of the break, the bit that gives it it's identity. This sounds like it is a single sample repeated and 'pumped' with compression or could quite easily have been done with velocity switches. It could well have come from another break.

There is the obvious sporadic drum fills from Apache every now and again, but the main shuffle sounds very much like the the 45 King - Movin' shuffle. I may not be right but you can get an almost identical result by tapering the reverb off the 45king shuffle hits to give quite a different short, punchy sound and then re-apply some gated reverb.

There are 2 other occasional ride sounds that could well be from the Roland Dance/Jazz kits available in the general midi banks on all the Roland gear. Same with the odd reverse tambourine.

The snare is the trickiest to pick out but i think there was a kind of rim shot/snare in the X kit that I mentioned earlier that sounded like it, but there are also a few piccolo snares and rimshot sounds in drum kits like the Alesis SR16 that many people had at the time that sound very similar. It could have been from another break but the point is that once juxtoposed with the other hats etc it sounds quite different anyway. You can get quite a good result by tapering

a 'Supa fly" snare and compressing it with mid boost.

As with any break the sound will hugely depend on the equipment used, It does sound like he used an Emu sampler but as for outboard and mixing who knows. Boymerang raised quite a few eyebrows in 97 and had some talent no question. He appears to still be making bits and pieces here and there.

i dont know if Dillinja had anything to do with Boymerang's album but there doesnt appear to be any credit on Discogs. I asked my friend at the time and he said that Dillinja had just sampled it straight from Boymerang but had ok'd it with the help of Rider, and had found out that Boymerang had programmed it from scratch, using an assortment of breaks and drum machine hits.

That's actually quite interesting. There is this earlier version of Silver Blade that has been knocking about for a bit, without the 'Boymerang' break in it...

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39842-tune-id-played-by-clarky-eruption-1013 [clip]

Do you think any of this sheds any more light on that one? :)