defunct labels

thijs

loads more than these, but i can tell you these ones without looking at the tracklistings of the releases

i take it labels that are doing represses are not defunct?

$ Recordings

2000 AD

24 Karat

3rd Eye?

3rd Party

A-KO

Absolute 2 (& all afilliated absolute labels)

Advance (the ray keith one?)

Al's

Arcane

Assassin

Back 2 Back

Bang-In Tunes

Based On Bass

Big City

Blapps!

Blu Inc

Boogie Times

Budd

Camden Tunes

Chill

Colour Stone

Composite

Conqueror

Crash Recordings

Sub Assertive Sounds

Subliminal

Subliminal Records

Strong Island

Studio 2000

Simple Tings

Section 12

Ruff Tuff & Wicked Stuff

Runnin

Redskin Records

Outlan

Firm Handed

Energizer

360 Degrees (that releases was from 99 i think - can check from home)

Rham

YoYo

XLR8

Ruffbeat (although there were represses recently?)

Ruff Guidance

Ruff Quality

Reel 2 Reel

Planet Earth

Metamorphosis

Hamster

Deep & Dark

D Livin

Bad Influence

VMR

Wardance

Who Knows

X Project

X-Amount

U No Dat

Tango & Fallout

Tango & Ratty

Studio 2

Symphony Sound

Ruff Groove

Red Eye

Rhythm Section

Pure NRG

Limited E Edition

Fokus UK

F Project

DJ Only

Dark Horse

Daddy Armshouse

Armshouse

VW (these have been repressed though)

Soapbar

Skeleton

Rough Tone

Rude Boy

Red Light (old)

Ray Keith

Radioactive Kids

Out Of Romford

Naughty Naughty (there are represses)

Oddball

Mendoza

Lionheart

Lionheart Records

Liquid Wax

Logic

KLP

Jungle Mania

Intelligent Music Corporation

Jet Star

Jungle From Kniteforce

FX Records

F.B.D. Project

Face

Do Or Die

Cybotron

Deadly Vinyl

Candidate

Brain Progression

4th World Order

Yaw

Urban Shakedown

Street Tuff

Tone Def

Slam!

Ruff Intelligence

Redskin

Pharaoh

Photek

Mister Men

Lucky Spin

Man From Uncle

Lloydie Crucial Productions

IQ

Jungle Fashion

King Of The Jungle

Deep Jungle

AWOL

Remix (old)

Production House

Philly Blunt

Intalektive

Intalex Productions

Fist 2 Fist

Unity

Third Eye

Subversive

Rude & Deadly

Sophisticated Underground Sounds

Precious Material

No Smoking

Pain

Kickin' Underground Sound

Jump Up

Grand Larceny

Dee Jay

De Underground

Aladdin

Urban Gorilla

Runninz

Most Valuable Player

Hard Beats Inc

Awesome

i just did up to 1998. there's so many of those names that aren't releasing tunes now but these ones abive i'm almost 100% on.

it's pretty fair to say that you could put all of the ones that have release years no later than the mid nineties as defunct

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest tyranny

following requests from tarzan and haste on dogsonacid, heres some info about quadrophonic.

quadrophonic were owned by U2 and arose because, well, bono wanted a drum and bass label and what bono wants he presumably gets [this is around the time he decided he wanted a club called the kitchen, also now defunct].

they had several releases and are notable for launching the careers of calibre razor [since had several releases on defunked] and cappo regime [gain recordings]

i am not 100% about the catalogue numbers, apart from quad002

quad001 *i think* was bass oddessy "twilight"

quad002. calibre. a side was last man on earth, b side was reflections. reflections is an atmospheric choppy tune that had a blues slide guitar sampled all over it and sounds unlike any other calibre tune before or since!

quad003 *i think* was a four track ep by "loose dragon" - a calibre alias, co produced with stuart from cappo regime.

quad004 *again i think*was razor "fokker 50"

there was one other release by razor i think... please bear in mind that all i know for certain is the info on quad002 which i own. you might have better luck asking the people on the forum at www.irishdrumandbass.com although bear in mind that the bassbin people and the quadrophonic people were never the best of friends as i hear it. there is an irish producers discography in a sticky thread there, which unlike the republic of ireland soccer team does not include those with irish grandmothers etc. as eligible for entry, meaning poor old fierce and optical and i'm sure many more are unfortunately excluded [though theyre welcome to come and play football for us, doubt they'd be any more useless than our current lineup.

oh yes, contact details on the sleeve give the following telephone numbers you might wish to try and check out, who knows you might end up speaking to bono. +353 1 8783449

there was also a www.quadrophonic.com

It's difficult to say when a label is defunct... if you look at Ram, at one point even they had 3 or 4 releases in 3 years time...

The things is that most indeed are probably defunct. But the problem is that the original owner, or somebody who buys the rights of the label can just continue under the same name again! Just look at Ganja.

BC Halo is not defunct (according to the BC interview in the new ATM), but as it's not DnB releases are less likely to be added in the DB...

(should we also mention those that are definitely NOT defunct??)

Defunct:

Rap (and it's related to Philly Blunt)

Breakdown

It's difficult to say when a label is defunct... if you look at Ram, at one point even they had 3 or 4 releases in 3 years time...

The things is that most indeed are probably defunct. But the problem is that the original owner, or somebody who buys the rights of the label can just continue under the same name again! Just look at Ganja.

BC Halo is not defunct (according to the BC interview in the new ATM), but as it's not DnB releases are less likely to be added in the DB...

(should we also mention those that are definitely NOT defunct??)

Defunct:

Rap (and it's related to Philly Blunt)

Breakdown

but wasn't Ganja owned by Hype - and still owned by Hype??

to be honest maybe I missed something but I don't really see the point in this thread!

well.. main point is to add a sort of active/defunct status to a label. one of the reasons why i am interested in that is because it will give me insight into whether a label disco is complete when you know what their last release was. other than that, it's just a nice piece of extra information :wink:

well.. main point is to add a sort of active/defunct status to a label. one of the reasons why i am interested in that is because it will give me insight into whether a label disco is complete when you know what their last release was. other than that, it's just a nice piece of extra information :wink:

fair enough!

:P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
is it true that aspect is defunct as well?

i would not be surprised: last few releases were quite weak, and no news from them since vinyl distribution went down

i think same applies to perspective as well, coz they were quite close to eachother as far as i remember

btw speaking of aspect and perspective! i'm certain that the ASPDP releases going under the title "Aspect Perspective" were joint releases between the two labels!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...