Producer: KC Flight??

Examples:

Nino - The Gun

Code 071 - Come Together Yo Breakthrough

Nasty Habits - Let's Go (Cold Mix)

Krispy Crouton - Chicken & Sweetcorn

Rat Pack - Lords Of The Dance

Notes:

After the commercial and crossover sucess of Sugar Bear's 1988 hip hop classic "Don't Scandalise Mine", it was probably wasn't going to be a long time until someone else would attempt to copy the formula and have a hit for themselves. Indeed, the inspired and memorable usage of the riff from Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime was soon after copied by the pioneering hip-house artist KC Flightt as the basis for his early 1989 single "Planet E".

Certainly an interesting tune of its own merits, I remember being quite impressed with its unusual style of rappied verse that was more akin to spoken poetry than rap per se, with KC Flightt painting verbal images of the woes of his community's ghetto life over a harder hitting beat and more liberal uses of the Talking Heads original.

Probably not the quick success that KC Flightt might have hoped, (additionally it may be the case that one of the other mixes on the 12" became the more played version within the early house/hip-house scene, I do not know) the heavy beat would live on to be embraced by the early hardcore scene to quite a popular extent. Ostentiably a 'second generation' break, based around the (at that time) newly available Bobby Byrd - I'm Coming breakbeat, it actually sounds very much like it was constructed from the Big Daddy Kane - Raw track, which would in fairness make it a 'third generation' break.

Thank you.

Clip: HERE

• 3 weeks later...

A bad tune!

That period of hip-house is probably still my fondest dance music era. One of the first mix tapes I ever heard was one from the legendary WAG on Wardour Street. It was from about May 89, I recall some of the tracklisting as:

Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock "It Takes Two"

Tyree & Kool Rock Steady "Turn Up The Bass"

Beatmasters "Who's In The House"

Fast Eddie "Yo Yo Get Funky"

KC Flightt "Planet E"

Sugar Bear "Don't Scandalise Mine"

Toni Scott "That's How I'm Living"

:cool:

What I would do to get that tape again!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...