'Valley of the Shadows' Think break

stenny

I've found the source BUT the break isn't quite programmed the same way as the one we all know which was on The X-static Goldmine and that particular Future Music sample CD.

http://www.discogs.com/Heavy-D-The-Boyz-Somebody-For-Me-You-Aint-Heard-Nuttin-Yet/release/1324157

The break is at 3:40

Here is a clip of how it sounds when pitched up and reprogrammed in comparison to itself at normal speed and unedited [CLICK]

There is an instrumental version of this (which I haven't heard/got yet) so it could possibly be on that if it's slightly different from the original mix. If it's not then it looks like someone else has sampled it from Heavy D and reprogrammed it, meaning it's a third generation break instead and we're back to square one again searching! (Unless, of course, the 'Polestar Magnetics' who put together the X-Static Goldmine sample CD sampled it from Heavy D and reprogrammed it themselves for the CD?)

*EDIT* This break has now been added to the main breakbeats section here.

Edited by stenny

Wow I've just listened to your edit and seems you are right. I really didn't think so listening to the original but sped up you can see that it is. The question is who done the edits...

I've always been inclined to think that it was unique from a sample CD - the X-Static Goldmine as it seems to be - so putting a thread with Polestar Magnetics as artist seems to me to be about appropiate by now :)

What does the track listing title the sample as ('Think', I assume?)

@Ornette - I think I'll hold back a little longer before posting this break in it's own topic, at least until I (or anybody else) can confirm it's not from the instrumental version. If it's not from the instrumental then I might even try and contact the Polestar Magnetics and get an answer straight from the horses mouth, if possible. I don't think the breaks were given individual names in the X-Static track listing, I can only guess from memory as I sold all my sample CD's at least 6 years ago. I actually photocopied all the index booklets for each CD I had but somehow they've been misplaced since then, doh!

@H_M_M - There are two other think variations I can think of. There's one which is used in: Run Tings - Ruff Revival / DJ SS - United / Slipmatt - Breaking Free, which has a rearranged shuffle part (hard to explain!) and the sample of this was available on the Zero-G Datafile 3 sample CD, but the original source is still unknown I think, not sure if it's ever been discussed on here before. The other one I mentioned early last year here.

could be this, around the end of the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpSJcv19htc

No it's not that one unfortunately.

I've just got hold of the actual sample from the 'Datafile 3' sample CD and have made up a short clip:

CLICK

The first one is how it is on the CD (and most likely how it sounds on the original source), next one is the same but transposed up to jungle speed, third one is slightly edited to sound like the one in Slipmatt - Breaking Free and the fourth one is the third break edited and pitch shifted in the same way as the intro to Breaking Free. Do you see what I mean about the rearranged shuffle part?

I wonder where this one's originally from???

No it's not that one unfortunately.

I've just got hold of the actual sample from the 'Datafile 3' sample CD and have made up a short clip:

CLICK

The first one is how it is on the CD (and most likely how it sounds on the original source), next one is the same but transposed up to jungle speed, third one is slightly edited to sound like the one in Slipmatt - Breaking Free and the fourth one is the third break edited and pitch shifted in the same way as the intro to Breaking Free. Do you see what I mean about the rearranged shuffle part?

I wonder where this one's originally from???

Is this not this one? if not then deffo a close sound

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50166-lost-the-gonzo/

the youtube vid in that thread above is not longer around, here

Cheers! That is definitely the same break but the one from the sample CD is ever so slightly different in the way that the shuffle is programmed.... I'm starting to wonder if this is originally from a late 80's hip hop tune now!?