conquering lion - old skool ting (dub plate mix) [

haste

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The bit that separates this version from the released version is (I believe) the "This is a song from the old-time proverb" sample toward the end of the clip.

If anyone has that 2002 repress and can do a clip (or preferably a full-length mp3) so I can compare the two versions, I'd appreciate it :)

• 7 months later...

Hmmm I didn't think this tune had ever been released.

I just heard this track on the Various Artists - Jungle Drum & Bass Anthems" CD (probably the highlight of the whole double-CD package!) and as I was certain it was a dubplate only track I scanned the forum for more details.

I could a sworn someone else had posted this track either in the Tune ID's or in the Unreleased Dubplates at some stage! Much to my surprise I checked the database to discover came out in 1993 on a 10" press as Conquering Lion - Jah Sunshine!!!

I never remember this release, not even hearing a rumor of it! - and I don't even remember hearing it until 1994. Does this release really exist???

• 3 months later...

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/congo_natty/lion5

Yes this 12" has two different versions of "Jah Sunshine", one very similar to the one in the clip, as per Logic's post, only difference is that sets apart the dubplate mix now is that "...old time proverbs..." bit.

---

Why are there two unreleased mixes of "Jah Sunshine" in the database?

I got the ten inch copy at home and it's almost the same as the clip up top. I think thats the same version that ron plays at a roast tape I have from 94 , only slight changes like the beats seem slightly out of time and theres more sleng ting samples and more vocal from somewhare I think.

the tune in the clip never came out - I dont know why its been called "old skool ting" on this thread???

its very different to the version that came out if you listen properly - different break AND structure

the congo natty section of the database is a complete mess to be honest

I've got nearly the whole congo natty collection - mostly the original releases - but a lot of white label represses as well - it dont help that they make up a new cat number or etching every time they repress a tune i guess - but a lot of the whites I have (from souljah of knowledge and wisdom / exodus distribution) arent listed in the rolldabeats database.

• 1 month later...

Stimpy, maybe you would like to add your two cents to this:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php...=20entry57142

?

The latest word on the street is....

"Jah Sunshine" on DUBPLATE1 is not the same as either mix on LION5!

Very much different b-line during the Tenor Fly vocals. Slightly different beat too.

The B side of LION5, (so-called on the label as "Dubplate 1" :dry: ) is what is MOST similar to the 'dubplate mix' of the thread. Matching beat structures, additional vocal chants & shouts. Only differences I can tell is VERY slight timing differences, and of course the extra The Real Roxanne "...sorry, wrong beat..." and Tenor Saw "...this is the sound...." vocals towards the end.

:wacko:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

This is interesting. I've just heard yet another version of this tune played on Kool FM - this time with various ragga vocals including one about 'drive all the gals dem crazy' and no Tenor Fly!

Think it was Devious D playing - mentioning it was a music house dub from 1994 that was "still playing!". Interesting