#21 Ornette

Ornette

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3716 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:38 AM

View Postthijs, on Oct 12 2005, 08:48 PM, said:

Please don't think much of this yet, but I needed a little start to get myself started ;)

People are encouraged to use it for now, but: at the moment it is still BETA. Features will be added in the future, but everything can change. Meaning even the releases you added can be gone. Once things are stable and will stay as they are a new post will be made.

:excl: For now remember that your input could eventually be lost.

Considering this, I think it would be fairer to say that MyRDB is in ALPHA
LATE NIGHT JAZZ DNB SESSIONS
FRIDAY NIGHTS 12-2am GMT/BST on jungletrain.net

#22 thijs

thijs

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3962 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:02 AM

View PostOrnette, on Oct 14 2005, 07:31 AM, said:

this is interesting. another idea is possibly a ratings system for the tunes.

we have had discussions about this in the past. still not quite sure what to do with it, since it will no doubt be feeding a lot of (useless) discussions as well. it's not off the list though.

View PostOrnette, on Oct 14 2005, 08:38 AM, said:

Considering this, I think it would be fairer to say that MyRDB is in ALPHA

absolutely, i have thought about that naming, but i think more people are familiar with the beta naming :)

#23 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

In more detail...

I think that a lot of this stuff should be pretty easy. The "most wanted" type stuff is a very simple database query of people's wantslists. The lists will be sortable by every column and I had already thought that it would be cool to incorporate a serach into the MyRDB page for wnats & collection. I think it will be fine to search other people's collections as well. Do you think it would be worth having an option to make your collection private if you wanted to?

I dont' know if we'd allow the upload of personal pictures of your records/collection. I'm not really sure if that would be good use of the server space that we have. The graph ideas are interesting. I'm not toltally sure on how possible they are but I know it can be done. It's something that we might introduce over time but I doubt will be a feature early on.

You are able to add more than one copy of a release into your collection so it will be easy to show when you have doubles. I doubt we'd have a trading scheme here. If people want to trade they can use the site as a means to do that but it would be on an unofficial basis. We've discussed introducing areas of the forum to trading/sales before but agreed that it would just get spammed all the time. I don't think we should actually get involved in the actual trading sitde of things as we wouldn't want to be held, or thought, responsible for someone getting ripped off!

I don't see why it would be a big deal to introduce a grading for your vinyl, it should only be one extra field in the database. Thijs? Equally, it would be possible to include the promo/sleeve options but, again, I think this might be the sort of thing that is added further down the line. I had had discussions with xo before about how we could introduce multiple release formats (promo/coloured vinyl/normal release copy/repress) for records with the same number so that all could be accessed from the same cat no listing (with different scans & info for each one) and that's something that I think would be great to impement at some point, this might go some way to providing a solution for that idea.

The one main thing that i think hasn't been mentioned is the ability to download your collection as an Excel file, this needs to be in place, I think.

View Postthijs, on Oct 14 2005, 08:02 AM, said:

we have had discussions about this in the past. still not quite sure what to do with it, since it will no doubt be feeding a lot of (useless) discussions as well. it's not off the list though.
Like Thijs says, this has been discussed before and I think after much consideration we agreed that we would not introduce ratings for tracks. We wanted to keep the site "opinion free" and just list facts.

I'm not sure if it'll stay this way and can see that, as the My Collection feature takes off, there might be more demand for this type of thing

View Postgeist, on Oct 13 2005, 09:09 PM, said:

it might be even cooler if there could be ratings given for each record on two scores: one is (when ascertainable) an objective rarity score, which would be figured out by something like how many known copies of a record were pressed with how old it is/how often it pops up on ebay. The other score would be a collector's rarity score, which would reflect how in demand a record is amongst collectors relative to how often it seems to show up for sale. Of course, the variables and missing data for something like this are extremely daunting, but even a loose indication of something like this would be interesting.
These are great ideas but, unfortunately, I can't see a lot of them workiing. I don't think we have a field for how many copies of a record exists (or maybe we do hidden somewhere) but the amount of releases we have compared to the number that we know the numbers that were pressed is vastly different. Any kind of sums based on these figures will only be available for a minority of releases in the database. It would be impossible to include any ebay data in the system unless someone sits there an catalogues everything that is listed on there. I know me & Thijs certainly don't have time for this and I doubt anyone else will, either. There's way too much human input needed for that one to work.
For anything to do with the site contact me using tom at rolldabeats dot com
------------------
wearelighthouse.com - Lighthouse London: my website design and development company
12in.ch - Photos of coloured vinyl, picture discs and all that stuff
mrhaste.com - A selection of random crap that I like

#24 blah

blah

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:00 AM

talk about opening a can of worms on this feature as the possibilities could be endless. another idea is how would you go about doing the wants list. would it be an add box like the add box for my collection but next to it - either different colour or something?. also there will be and edit function I take it for tunes you swap or don't have any more because you sold/traded em or if you manage to get some of them of the list. and I cant wait to see how it will work even though I feel sorry for you as I bet you have a bundle of work ahead on this feature now- eh?

#25 padalabra

padalabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

how about an additional column in the display that says whether or not you have/want a record...
" 'What is it about our music?' Chatting to Vegas and Maldini from Bad Company their answer was simple: 'What happened when you first heard it?' Failing to find the words I end up gesticulating, placing my hand on my heart. 'Exactly.' ... for a lot of us - It is a Love Thing." - Brian Belle-Fortune, All Crews

#26 Phokus

Phokus

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6110 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

Personally, I think having an option to make your own collection private should be added, I know people who would not use this site to catalogue their collections if it meant that everybody could view what they've got.

#27 iamdek

iamdek

Knowledge provider

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

View PostPhokus, on Oct 14 2005, 11:05 AM, said:

Personally, I think having an option to make your own collection private should be added, I know people who would not use this site to catalogue their collections if it meant that everybody could view what they've got.

Just out of interest, whats the reasoning behind that?
iamdek • http://www.iamdek.co.uk

#28 blah

blah

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

View Postiamdek, on Oct 14 2005, 11:07 AM, said:

maybe if someone finds out where you live and decides to rob you because of what you've got, it may sound far fetched but many of my mates have been robbed even just for their tunes while there on holiday or something (not by me of course).

a few years back I even got mugged by two gezzers that earlier I saw in wax city and when I went home on the train they robbed me for my tunes & didn't even stop to nick my wallet then legged it out the door at the station we had stopped at - bastards.

so I do see the reasons for making it private or maybe have only people who have logged on or set up permissions for certain people who can look at it , though wants list or a trades list may not be so bad but who knows?.

even more to think about on this feature, headache now starting from my swelling head - ouch!

#29 eXtreme

eXtreme

Knowledge provider

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

View Postblah, on Oct 14 2005, 12:44 PM, said:

so I do see the reasons for making it private or maybe have only people who have logged on or set up permissions for certain people who can look at it , though wants list or a trades list may not be so bad but who knows?.

Thats a good idea, like a 'share with buddies' feature or something.

some really good ideas in this thread,   :)

#30 Phokus

Phokus

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6110 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:15 PM

View Postiamdek, on Oct 14 2005, 11:07 AM, said:

Fear of robbery, as blah said. Sad state of affairs, but it does happen.

I know discogs' cataloguing feature lets you keep it private if you want to.

#31 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

I don't think it really matters why you might want to keep it private. We need to think of as many things that can make our system more customisable than other ones. The more features we have, the more appealling using the site will be and that's the kind of thing that I think will set us apart from the rest!

I think it's perfectly legit to want to keep your collection up here just for personal use and not want people to know what you have, it should definitely be an option.
------------------
wearelighthouse.com - Lighthouse London: my website design and development company

#32 iamdek

iamdek

Knowledge provider

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

^^^ It had never crossed my mind before ... so cool enough ... giving people the option can only be a good thing  :D
iamdek • http://www.iamdek.co.uk

#33 blah

blah

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:05 PM

I can't tell you how soul destroying getting robbed for tunes is like,

another time I was playing old skool at an illegial rave on the a27 near arundel and at the end they wouldn't let me go until I gave em some tunes as I did last two hour set (which went really well) and all the other dj's had fucked off already and they wanted to go on for a few more hours and I had a big ass cardboard box full of old random classics and it was being raped infront of my very eyes , so I got in there and grabbed some albums,a few sleeves and a few other tunes I have never seen since , threw them at em and legged it down some 45 degree hill as fast as I could in the dawn sun.

bunch of cunts!!!.

#34 theorie

theorie

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

Never thought this would be so much of an issue?  perhaps we need to have a disclaimer!  I'm not bigging up my collection or anything, but I'm starting to have second thoughts! :o

#35 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

I don't think you lot need to worry about this. People aren't gonna come to your house and rob you of tunes.

For a start, they don't know where you live, right?!
------------------

#36 theorie

theorie

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:52 PM

View Posthaste, on Oct 14 2005, 03:44 PM, said:

I don't think you lot need to worry about this. People aren't gonna come to your house and rob you of tunes.

For a start, they don't know where you live, right?!

Yeah, I was just bigging up my collection really! ;)  :lol:

But what blah said about someone getting burgled for their tunes.  That would just be devestating! :ph34r:

probably their (blah's mate) 'mates'

#37 Ornette

Ornette

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3716 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

Re: ratings...

My thoughts on this was strictly a member's only feature, in which a member could put a personal rating on each of their owned items contained within MyRDB. Then, as a non-member feature, each release pulled up from the database could feature a averaged score STRICTLY on this informal, personal ratings data (and labelled as such - i.e. "MyRDB members rating')

All discussions of tunes merits and releases worths indeed be strictly off limits for discussion in any of the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!

...since it will no doubt be feeding a lot of (useless) discussions...
God forbid!!!
:o             ;)

Re: private

Yes, i would like my collection, if added, to remain private. Of course, abstracted extrapolated information drawn from my collection would be no problem for me.  Just no open display of my prized possesions!

Re: lots of ideas & stuff

Many good ideas, just one thing, I think many of advanced info options should be reserved to RDB members only, detailed graphs, wants lists, etc.  Apart from my 'ratings' display system, of course... That should remain openly viewable!  

B-) (inflated chest & stuff...)

although I'd say listed information on releases by avereaged score should be one of those RDB members only benefits... etc etc blah blah blah
drone drone...... zzzzz zzzzz
LATE NIGHT JAZZ DNB SESSIONS
FRIDAY NIGHTS 12-2am GMT/BST on jungletrain.net

#38 Sea Monkey

Sea Monkey

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:26 PM

I'm so glad you guys are getting this off the ground!  Thank you so very much!  I've already got 225 of my records in my collection.  Don't worry, if they get erased I've got a backup to easily find and add them again.

:D

Rolldabeats rocks my socks!

#39 R-Hawk

R-Hawk

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

Is it possible to introduce a "bulk add to collection/wantslist" function like the one Discogs have?  This is really useful for when you have a bunch of records in a particular label, you can enter a lot very quickly.

#40 The_Manipulator

The_Manipulator

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

View PostR-Hawk, on Oct 16 2005, 11:45 AM, said:

Is it possible to introduce a "bulk add to collection/wantslist" function like the one Discogs have?  This is really useful for when you have a bunch of records in a particular label, you can enter a lot very quickly.

Has it been put back? I know they had it in the beginning, but the last years (well, the few times I logged in) there were no bulk options anymore.

Also, can we get a banner at the top: "NO, I'M NOT SELLING ANY OF MY RECORDS!!"?
Thanks to RollDaBeats I've finally found a use for all the records and CD's I have bought...
Collection: http://www.rolldabeats.com/collection/the_manipulator/ (partial) or http://home.wanadoo.nl/jari/dnb_records.html (full)