#22 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostOrnette, on 18 October 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

There's a number of things that have changed, or are broken, that I dont know where to start

Well, please let me know if anything that you can see that's broken. Basically the entire site has been rewritten and as it essentially boils down to just me working in it it's so hard to test everything, especially as the live site (used by thousands of users) and teh development one (used by a handful) reach very differently to each other when faced with different amounts of traffic.

However, one thing is the entry url's. They all read in the format:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/###/label_name/cat_no/

this means all existing links are broken!

Shit, I had thought I'd built in an old look up for URLs. I'll fix this.

Edit: this is now fixed

Which also ties into something else I've been meaning to ask, about Google rankings - our entries used to rank quite highly, now they don't seem to pop up until the second, or third pages. Is there anything that can be done about this?

meta tags? other possibilities?

The new site should perform much better in terms of SEO, the initial slowness of the site after launch may have knocked the places down a little on search rankings but I'm expecting this to get better.

Meta tags aren't really that important in terms of SEO any more so there's not a great deal worth doing there.
For anything to do with the site contact me using tom at rolldabeats dot com
------------------
wearelighthouse.com - Lighthouse London: my website design and development company
12in.ch - Photos of coloured vinyl, picture discs and all that stuff
mrhaste.com - A selection of random crap that I like

#23 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostIan_s, on 18 October 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

From the samples database:

It's now really difficult to edit your posts. It brings up a tiny box to make the edit in. Also, if you use the full editor, all the characters/sentences etc are bunched together, meaning you have to go and separate all the line.

Also the search icon (where you search for a phrase or a collection of words) is missing. If you click on the empty space the link still works, just the icon is missing.

Cheers

This seems to be a bug that came with doing a forum upgrade at the same time. What you're probably seeing it a cached version of the forum as I had the same issue for a little bit before we managed to find a fix. I'd suggest doing a hard refresh a few times when you're on a forum page (CTRL + F5 on a PC, Command + F5 on a Mac) and see whether this fixes it. If not, then try clearing your temporary internet files. Hopefully it'll be better after that
------------------
wearelighthouse.com - Lighthouse London: my website design and development company

#24 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostIan_s, on 18 October 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Also is there anyway of getting rid of the flood control on searches?

As in allowing the user to still select artist/label/catalogue etc.?
------------------

#25 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

I've also fixed the forum link so that /forum now works
------------------

#26 dest

dest

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Why are the results so confusing, or is it just me?!

If I search for "roni size kiss" it should surely bring up the release on V Recordings for Kiss/Fresh.
Instead, it does'nt even get mentioned!
I get 6 variations of the artist, and 54 releases with not a single mention of what Im after on the first page.
Then, if you view all of the 54 releases it does'nt even appear.

Sorry to be negative, but I prefered it how it was, it just seems to be a copy of discogs now :(

Edit:
Just tried to search for "krust warhead" and got similar, not a single mention of warhead

#27 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Cheers for pointing that out. I think the problem with all of that is due to the search index. We had to completely rebuild this from scratch which is a time consuming process and it does look like there are still some holes in it that need sorting. Searching for "warhead" gives me nothing and it obviously should, what you're getting there are just the results for the word "krust". Likewise, the Roni Size results aren't getting anything for the word "kiss" either or that would be the top results in both the releases and tracks section. I'll see if I can find the best way in which we can rebuild the index and get this sorted ASAP.

Hopefully once this is done the search engine should be far better than before as it allows far more to be searched than before, although I appreciate that it's a little different to how it was.

In terms of what you preferred is this simply the method of searching? Would you rather have the options for what to search back?
------------------

#28 dest

dest

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Im glad it was an issue that needed addressing rather than me just being either useless or awkward!
The fact that it obviously should return a result for warhead for example is what was probably frustrating me.
The layout as it is looks fine, Im sure once it problem gets sorted it will be ok :)

Just to add, I noticed the "search help" link and then tried to search for "-t warhead" and get the following error:

Not Found

The requested URL /search/title/warhead was not found on this server.

I assume that is the correct way to use it

#29 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postdest, on 23 October 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Just to add, I noticed the "search help" link and then tried to search for "-t warhead" and get the following error:

Thanks for pointing out that, it's fixed now.

Having looked through I think that it's actually the entire track search index that needs rebuilding. I'll get on with this now and should hopefully have it sorted soon, might take a little while to go through 140,000 tracks, though! :blink:
------------------

#30 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

View Postdest, on 23 October 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Im glad it was an issue that needed addressing rather than me just being either useless or awkward!
The fact that it obviously should return a result for warhead for example is what was probably frustrating me.
The layout as it is looks fine, Im sure once it problem gets sorted it will be ok :)

You'll see that the search results are now vastly improved. It took several days but the track search index is now pretty much complete so you'll get results for warhead among others.

http://rolldabeats.c.../roni_size_kiss

etc. etc.

I still have to rebuild the release index but the track one took a lot longer than expected so will have to find a better way to do it as it also seemed to slow the site down a fair bit (although that could have just been locally)

Let me know if you spot anything else!
------------------

#31 TwEeD

TwEeD

Music enthusiast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Small unimportant cosmetical bug in the collection page, but thought I would report it anyway:

"TwEeD's physical collection: 1 to 0 of 0 releases"

#32 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostTwEeD, on 08 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Small unimportant cosmetical bug in the collection page, but thought I would report it anyway:

"TwEeD's physical collection: 1 to 0 of 0 releases"

Cheers for pointing it out, I'll get that fixed!
------------------

#33 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

View Postvetoe13, on 11 October 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Is it me or are the audio clips not playing?

This should be fixed now. Can people give it a try?
------------------

#34 eXtreme

eXtreme

Knowledge provider

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Still not working for me (chrome), the player comes up at the bottom, the play button is orange, i hit play & it just stays at 00.00 & nothing happens.

#35 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Which tunes have you tried? I did get that with a couple of the recent unreleased tracks but I think that might be a different issue
------------------

#36 eXtreme

eXtreme

Knowledge provider

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

http://rolldabeats.c...n_loud/534934-1

This is what i was trying at the time, tried it again here at work & still not working. i also tried a couple of random popular tracks but all the same unfortunately.

#37 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, I'm getting the same. Will look at what's going on
------------------

#38 Ornette

Ornette

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3716 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

View Postdest, on 23 October 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Why are the results so confusing, or is it just me?!

If I search for "roni size kiss" it should surely bring up the release on V Recordings for Kiss/Fresh.
Instead, it does'nt even get mentioned!
I get 6 variations of the artist, and 54 releases with not a single mention of what Im after on the first page.
Then, if you view all of the 54 releases it does'nt even appear.

Sorry to be negative, but I prefered it how it was, it just seems to be a copy of discogs now :(
I have to concur with the above - the search is very very bad. I would  prefer it as it was. It doesn't seem to like compound artist names or titles.
LATE NIGHT JAZZ DNB SESSIONS
FRIDAY NIGHTS 12-2am GMT/BST on jungletrain.net

#39 haste

haste

Knowledge provider

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9830 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostOrnette, on 12 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

I have to concur with the above - the search is very very bad. I would  prefer it as it was. It doesn't seem to like compound artist names or titles.

What are you trying to search for? Please give me examples of where it's not working properly for you.

I can see the problems with the the search index as noted above and that is fixed now. I'm not sure I can see how the new search is worse than before as it now searches much more of the database in a far more accurate way. Anyway, would be good to see a few examples of where you think it's falling down.

For anyone who's at all interested the old search didn't allow you to search across all release/track information, you could only search the actual release/track name. The new search allows you to search for any combination of artist name(s) and release/track titles so that you can pinpoint info far more easily. It's also a full text search now so it will provide results based on a best match to all or some of the words that you typed. The previous search would only turn results that matched all of the search terms you used. The new method means that you may get more results but it should provide better matches based on what you've entered and should also help if you've spelled things slightly incorrectly.
------------------

#40 vetoe13

vetoe13

Knowledge provider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yup still not getting audio. Player pops up, but nothing on chrome and IE :(