Gang Related & Mask - Dictation (Unreleased Mix 2)

haste

• 1 month later...

What's going on with this version. Is there another version you are aware of?

I seem to remember another mix of this, that is not similar to the album mix at all. It still has the '2001' film music in the intro like the original (as opposed to the simplified synth line done for the album mix), and the original "... its a dictation, and its a definition..." vocal sample, and it was just really really good.

I heard it at Movement in early 1998 (?)

Unless I am completely wrong and it WAS the original mix...???

(But I checked out the original 12" at the time and it wasn't the one I heard!?)

(Does the original 12" have amens in it???)

What's going on with this version.  Is there another version you are aware of?

Yup...2 remixes, as far as I can make out

I seem to remember another mix of this, that is not similar to the album mix at all.  It still has the '2001' film music in the intro like the original (as opposed to the simplified synth line done for the album mix), and the original "... its a dictation, and its a definition..." vocal sample, and it was just really really good.

Doens't sound like any mix I know apart from the original. Perhaps there is another, earlier version?!

(Does the original 12" have amens in it???)

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

i had a recording on cassette of a tune, (very different from any of the versions on here) with the dictation/defintion sample on it,

much more bouncy and simple style,

anyone got any ideas?

please . . .

some 'friend' seems to have permanently borrowed the (very dodgy, but very precious) tape recording i had . . .

• 3 months later...
I seem to remember another mix of this, that is not similar to the album mix at all. It still has the '2001' film music in the intro like the original (as opposed to the simplified synth line done for the album mix), and the original "... its a dictation, and its a definition..." vocal sample, and it was just really really good.

Doens't sound like any mix I know apart from the original. Perhaps there is another, earlier version?!

I just heard the original thanks to this pirate I'm currently listening to and yeah, the original is definitely not the mix that I am meaning. I do remember hearing at Movement being played by Bryan Gee and it did defo had the original "...dictation..." vocal and 2001 theme music in it.

Additionally I think I remember that I first heard him playing it a week or so before on his Sunday night show on Kool FM and then hearing it for the second time at Movement. Actually it was probably early 1997, not 1998 as mentioned before.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
:rolleyes:

I didn't see the clip was added the last time I posted...

This was the mix I meant.

Shame you don't have the intro and stuff, the way the tune bulds up is dope.

Anyone found a better clip?I think Dj Die did this mix.Dj hype used to have it on dubplate and played it at helter skelter in about 96/97.it was right on the end of a cassette,and i think Dj rap was on the other side of the tape.

• 4 months later...

Anyone found a better clip?I think Dj Die did this mix.Dj hype used to have it on dubplate and played it at helter skelter in about 96/97.it was right on the end of a cassette,and i think Dj rap was on the other side of the tape.

your right it was on a Hellter skelter tape DJ Hype and DJ RAP. I had that tape too and if i remember rightly he either played it at the end of his set or right at the beginning because he played right from the very start of the tune. I would bet my house it was by DJ Die. Unfortunately the tape got nicked along with my VW Golf, I didnt care about the car, just the tape. Bastards.

• 9 months later...

your right it was on a Hellter skelter tape DJ Hype and DJ RAP. I had that tape too and if i remember rightly he either played it at the end of his set or right at the beginning because he played right from the very start of the tune. I would bet my house it was by DJ Die. Unfortunately the tape got nicked along with my VW Golf, I didnt care about the car, just the tape. Bastards.

Found a better clip of the Die mix (spoke to him and he confirmed it was his mix).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWNTpmfTKk&feature=related

Its the last tune in the Mickey finn one in the jungle clip

• 4 weeks later...

I'm well glad you've confirmed this as the DJ Die mix! Its defo the best version and now we can all know which one we are talking about (when we talk about the "unreleased DJ Die remix") ;)

Still confused as to why this one stayed unreleased when the inferior other mix came out instead... perhaps Die was still a 'lesser' artist at the time?

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...