CAN PEOPLE STOP GUESSING SAMPLE SOURCES!

Stimpy

I look through threads in this section where people are asking where a sample comes from originally.

I keep seeing people just randomly guessing ..."ooh it could be this... maybe it's this because they share the same title"

well that's completely unhelpful imo. If you don't actually know then don't bother guessing...

I disagree, the whole point in this section should be to discuss where the sample may be from. A guess could be correct, or at least jog someone's memory as to where they'd heard it before :smile:

Well I guess it depends how much of an educated guess it is. people suggesting things that are blatently the wrong genre, or even gender, because one word is the same aren't really helping anyone.

Yeah I thought that was a little bit of a harsh opener . . . to be fair people are only trying to help, and if the guesses are so blatently wrong then you don't need to bother with it. There's no need to curse people who are just trying to help!

yeah but it really bugs me when i end up arguing with people who are so adamant about some sample that they haven't confirmed

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?t...urial+leviticus

^^^ had to argue with someone about the burial sample sources as he thought it sampled copacabana, and didn't bother to actually check it, but DID argue with me about it :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say I was harsh, just to the point. I didn't use bad language or anything... if anyone took offense I'd say they're more over sensitive than I am rude. This forum... especially this part of it... is used as an information resource. If there's people just randomly guessing sample sources etc then it's making the information unreliable and incorrect.

Apologies if anyone actually was upset by the way I wrote it - I've re-read it and don't see why they would be but apologies anyway just in case. :)

• 1 year later...
I wouldn't say I was harsh, just to the point. I didn't use bad language or anything... if anyone took offense I'd say they're more over sensitive than I am rude. This forum... especially this part of it... is used as an information resource. If there's people just randomly guessing sample sources etc then it's making the information unreliable and incorrect.

Apologies if anyone actually was upset by the way I wrote it - I've re-read it and don't see why they would be but apologies anyway just in case. :)

I don't think it's harsh at all. It's a waste of time to read a thread that you think has a lead, and it's actually someone pretending to know something. I check all my claims beforehand now, didn't use to like 3 or 4 years ago. Then I got frusted that my sample inquiries were responded to by "maybe it's this", and decided not to be like that.

But still it's better to have a founded educated guess than somebody stating it's a certain tune... while it isn't! (though when it's easy enough to verify that should be left to the person submitting the source, not requesting the ID).

Due to sample based artists usually not bothering to really look for samples, educated guesses usually work rather nice (mainly for vocals though). I mean, if you search for lyrics and get a hit it's usually a good chance that's the "song" that was sampled (though not necessarily the version).

(If I see a tune called "Hypnotizin'" I've got a pretty good guess what they sampled...)

For my original sample list I've gotten a lot of ID's that I knew were wrong. But for a lot of them I'm just not able to verify them, so if they look decent enough I added them (and sometimes only now seeing it's wrong).

And as I also said in another thread: nowadays it's much harder to pinpoint samples. With sample license cost skyrocketing it's cheaper to have a sample replayed. Take Matrix & Sonic - Flashlight. It uses Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart. But does it sample Yes? Or the Max Graham version? Or a replayed version?

There are still some samples I haven't been able to verify because I wasn't able to find the original (or for that matter can't remember which DnB tune sampled it). But if an ID for it comes up, I'll still put up the info on what I've got as an ID but wasn't able to identify.

(though I admit in the thread this refers to I was a bit too much on the guessing side...)