rolldabeats present 'A Decade In The Mix' - Part 4 & Haste DOA interview

haste

• 11 years later...

Manipulator was Part 4, have the text but not the mix :o

01. Rolldabeats/Shy FX - Bambaata [Ebony]/Glamour Gold - The Only One [RAP records]

02. John B - Salsa Remix [Formation]

03. Adam F - Circles (Andy C Remix) [F-Jams/Positiva]

04. Breakbeat Era - Breakbeat Era [XL Recordings]

05. Jonny L - Piper (Grooverider Mix) [XL Recordings]

06. Adam F - Brand New Funk [V Recordings]

07. Reprazent - Share The Fall (Grooverider Mix) [Talkin' Loud]

08. Dillinja - Tudor Rose [Hardleaders]

09. Boymerang - Still (Dom & Optical VIP mix) [sony]

10. Cause 4 Concern - Epox [Cause 4 Concern]

11. Jonny L - Wish U Had Something (Jonny L remix) [XL Recordings]

12. Breakbeat Era - Our Disease Tera [XL Recordings]

13. Krust - Warhead [V Recordings]

14. Scorpio - Trouble [V Recordings]

15. Ed Rush & Optical - Function [V Recordings]

16. Flytronix - Contemporary Accousticz Jam (Origin Unknown Remix) [Moving Shadow]

17. Cyba Space feat. Shanie - Life (Dom & Roland Remix) [Cyba Space]

18. Future Forces - Dead By Dawn [Renegade Hardware]

19. Dom & Roland - Thunder [Moving Shadow]

20. Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - Alien Girl [Prototype]

21. Ed Rush & Optical – Compound [Virus]

22. Souljah - Fade 2 Black [Hardleaders]

23. Roni Size - Brown Paper Bag [Talkin' Loud]

24. Profound Noise - Wired [underfire]

25. John B – Secrets (remix) [New Identity]

26. Lemon D - 12.01 [Valve]

27. Bad Company - The Nine [bad Company Recordings]

28. Swift - Twisted [Charge]

29. Moving Fusion - Turbulence [Ram Records]

30. Calyx - Double Zero [Audio Couture]

31. Ram Trilogy - Evolution [Ram Records]

32. Bad Company - The Pulse [Prototype Recordings]

33. London Elektricity - Rewind (Acoustic Version) [Hospital]

Rolldabeats/Shy FX - Bambaata [Ebony]/Glamour Gold - The Only One [RAP records]

My mate and I were selecting an intro tune from the shortlist and wanted to use Hype's "RollDaBeats" vocal in the intro. It ended up as this... using the original and Dillinja mix of Bambaata.

John B - Salsa Remix [Formation]

Let's start on a happy vibe with this one from senor Juan B. From the World of Drum and Bass album, this one is instantly recognisable with the 'speedy gonzales' vocals.

Adam F - Circles (Andy C Remix) [F-Jams/Positiva]

Aah... Bob James sounds nice in this Adam F classic, from the collectible Picture Disc promo.

Breakbeat Era - Breakbeat Era [XL Recordings]

Takes me back to MTV's Party Zone. From an era where there were probably more DnB videos than there are now... This tune jumpstarted what the Bristol crew later fine-tuned with songs like "Brown Paper Bag" and "Share The Fall", combining live instruments with sequenced ones.

Jonny L - Piper (Grooverider Mix) [XL Recordings]

Arguably his biggest hit after "Hurt You So" (well, apart from "Out Of Your Mind"...)

Adam F - Brand New Funk [V Recordings]

If "Circles" didn't put Adam F on the map in capitals, then this must have. Again leaning heavily on a 70's rare groove by Bob James with the looped "brand new"vocal all over the intro.

Reprazent - Share The Fall (Grooverider Mix) [Talkin' Loud]

In my opinion one of Grooveriders finest works... The original is already great, but this mix just perfectly blends vocals withinstrumental bits and deep synths with breakdowns.

Dillinja - Tudor Rose [Hardleaders]

What would a mix be without Dillinja. This tune is a nice example of his well known raw, distorted , trademark sound. The originator at work. Later often imitated.

Boymerang - Still (Dom & Optical VIP mix) [sony]

This hard to find tune, which is only available on a 6-track promo CD, is the ultimate in abstract tunes for me!

Cause 4 Concern - Epox [Cause 4 Concern]

The second Cause 4 Concern release on their own label. Dark, nice synths.

Jonny L - Wish U Had Something (Jonny L remix) [XL Recordings]

Very strong remix by the man himself, remixed from a dark tune in an abstract one.

Breakbeat Era - Our Disease Tera [XL Recordings]

This is what happens if you're working on "Bulletproof" but load the wrong set of samples... A very nice accident!

Krust - Warhead [V Recordings]

Talking about simple tunes that do damage! This tune and the one following it are what that's all about. Both released at about the same time on V and directed straight to the dance floors.

Scorpio - Trouble [V Recordings]

Using Indeep's "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life", this one became a huge hit!

Ed Rush & Optical - Function [V Recordings]

The first mixdown included 6 tracks by Ed Rush, Optical and Fierce. I don't consider myself a fan, but man, they certainly released a LOT of great tunes in the late 90's! And don't worry, there are still 3 left in this mix... I took a few out of the playlist to balance things out, but this one had to be in the mix.

Flytronix - Contemporary Accousticz Jam (Origin Unknown Remix) [Moving Shadow]

Next on the list is Flytronix. Andy C and Ant Miles gave this song the Ram treatment.

Cyba Space feat. Shanie - Life (Dom & Roland Remix) [Cyba Space]

Not sure what it is, but the Cyba Space releases were mostly remixes by people like Dillinja, Ray Keith and Moving Fusion. But I picked the remix by Dom & Roland for its nice vocals and atmosphere and great flow.

Future Forces - Dead By Dawn [Renegade Hardware]

Classic tune on Renegade Hardware from what later became one half of Bad Company. Both the original and the "Final Chapter" mix are great.

Dom & Roland - Thunder [Moving Shadow]

As soon as you hear the intro synth, you know what tune is coming. Dom delivers once again.

Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - Alien Girl [Prototype]

Dark, raw synths on the flipside from Cutslo.

Ed Rush & Optical – Compound [Virus]

This track from the Wormhole album is just awesome. The drop before the bass comes in is brilliant!

Souljah - Fade 2 Black [Hardleaders]

With Dillinja already in, I just had to get Lemon D as well. Been shifting this around a bit, but at the moment the amen part and the drop work perfectly with the next one…

Roni Size - Brown Paper Bag [Talkin' Loud]

The original that spawned so many covers... from DJ SS to Foul Play Productions, everybody seems to have released their own double bass tune.

Profound Noise - Wired [underfire]

Personal preference here. I just had to use something from the Audio Blueprint/Under Fire stable and I've always loved this one. It's just so different from everything else I know. It's happy, jumpy, a bit cheesy... but I love it!

John B – Secrets (remix) [New Identity]

The original from the "Prototype Years" album was remixed for his own "Visions" album, with an added vocal (and slight re-arrangement).

Lemon D - 12.01 [Valve]

The first Valve release is definitely a double A-side! Though Violent Killa is a great tune, I opted for this one. A bleepy intro (that goes well with John B)... a drop... and an amen workout!

Bad Company - The Nine [bad Company Recordings]

First Bad Company release... this one hits hard! Driving bass drone and that synth fill...

Swift - Twisted [Charge]

Swift's first releases on his Charge label were all big tunes. Whether it's (another) "Just Roll" remix, the strange string intro of "Feel Good" or the first release, "Twisted", with it's combination of bass sounds.

Moving Fusion - Turbulence [Ram Records]

Over the years, Andy C and Ant Miles have gathered some nice talent on their labels. The first real outside act was Moving Fusion, who made quite an impact with “Turbulence" from the "Sound In Motion" album.

Calyx - Double Zero [Audio Couture]

I think by now it's clear I'm into the more abstract tunes... Calyx' star rose quickly in the late 90's. And the drop in this one... nice synths… and then the snare with the reverb... just awesome!

Ram Trilogy - Evolution [Ram Records]

"Things are gonna change"… but hopefully not too much! Another great one from the Ram crew, which is typical for the releases around the "Molten Beats" album as far as the instrumentation is concerned. Though I really wanted to put the vinyl-only track "Both Worlds" in here as well…

Bad Company - The Pulse [Prototype Recordings]

The other anthem from Bad Company in this era, this time on Grooverider's Prototype label. It follows the same rules as "The Nine". Use a driving beat and bass... and it just blends so perfectly with the last tune...

London Elektricity - Rewind (Acoustic Version) [Hospital]

(Yes, I know the CD is from 2002, but the vinyl promo also starts with the acoustic version!) What better way to end than on a quiet, vocal note and asking everybody to Rewind the "Decade In The Mix"!