Prototype Recordings missing gems!

Kid-b

I thought I would start this topic for a bit of fun and to see what we could all come up with.

Here's a list of the bit's that I'm sure were rumoured to be for Prototype Recordings:

Photek - Say It (did come out on test press with One Nation on the flip. One Nation came out on the Form & Function Vol 2 album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUyud-5GqgA&list=PL03KblZu5R4qUdi8GxbyiPQZWYCEtKn__

Photek - Flavour Of A Sound

Photek - Feeling Up

Grooverider – Smilin (Like A Clown)

Optical – What’s The Difference

Optical – Split Personality

Optical – Can you Read (On Virus Vaults)

Optical - Sci-Fi Step Tech

Optical & Fierce - Stab

Ed Rush - Subway Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z7__LTI828

DJ Trace – Sonar (Monkeys)

DJ Trace – Definition Of Living (Amen Mix)

Dillinja - Silver Blade VIP (Tron)

Bad Company – Dustball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KU8qXgD5I

R Type & Kyan – Loungin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_44kOQ3Uk

I believe Boymerang had another track meant for Prototype but can't confirm this. TeeBee was also meant to have a release on Prototype which I believe were meant to be "Human Reptile" & "Liquid Light" which ended up coming out on his own label "Subtitle". I could be way off with my information but I'm sure there are some people on here who will be able to correct me. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I know there was a few 'meant' for Prototype but I'm not sure all were agreed, or confirmed

I know once Grooverider played Zardoz on air and asked/suggested, "one for Prototype?", to which Ed Rush and Optical probably went :rolleyes:

"Thunder" was another that appeared in a few charts in Atmosphere listed as Prototype, I'm wondering if this maybe was a release intended with The Trap on the other?

Also there was Dillinja "All Means Necessary" which I posted a thread about recently

I once did a similar thread on this with Metalheadz, check it out! http://subvertcentra...that-never-were

NB. move thread to Chat?

• 2 months later...

Nice one Ornette,

I put it in the "Unreleased Tunes" section as I saw the "Unreleased Optical" thread and this is a thread about unreleased Prototype Recordings so thought this would be the best place for it.

There is an Optical track on Dom & Roland's 1 in The Jungle set that was listed as being on Prototype. According to my dub its called "Rollers Rock" but it is really hard to make out.

I'm sure their must be a loads of tracks Rider "Lost" the DATs for, he had a bit of a habit for doing that from what I've heard lol.

• 5 months later...

There is also a few Untitled Optical tracks that were meant to come out on Prototype recordings

Optical - Untitled (Prototype DUB 1997)

Optical - Untitled (Rollers Rock) This was played on Dom & Roland Radio 1 Set and linked to Prototype

Optical - Untitled (ETB) I'm not 100% sure if this was meant for Prototype

From a Grooverider interview October 1994, its says first track on new Hardstep label was going to be something called "Babylon Warriors" presumingly by Grooverider?

Babylon Cru - Press Up was by DJ Nut Nut, so I reckon he was probably talking about DJ Nut Nut - Special Dedication in that Atmosphere interview. He mentioned in an Eternity interview from the same month that the first release on Hardstep was going to be by DJ Nut Nut so it makes sense he was talking about the same tune.

Babylon Cru - Press Up was by DJ Nut Nut, so I reckon he was probably talking about DJ Nut Nut - Special Dedication in that Atmosphere interview. He mentioned in an Eternity interview from the same month that the first release on Hardstep was going to be by DJ Nut Nut so it makes sense he was talking about the same tune.

That sounds about right, the interview made it sound like it was the track name. I should have guessed it would be all a bit hazy back then.

• 3 weeks later...
This is complete guesswork but I'm sure I remember reading an interview saying something similar at the time. Splash's 'Babylon' was around on dubplate in the autumn of 1994, and I remember Grooverider rewinding the track literally three times on the Kiss FM show, at one point stating "THIS is hardstep". So I always made the assumption that he was referring to that track, but I could be completely wrong as it ended up on Dee Jay Recordings in the end.

• 3 years later...

Confirmed!

PRO003 was not down as Flavour Of A Sound b/w Feeling Up

I have been suspicious of this for a while but never got round to finishing that reply I meant for this thread. I'm more convinced that Smilin was intended for the 3rd release, seeing how the first releases were all Grooverider productions and we did not see other artists until 95/96

Anyhow, from the facebook:

https://www.facebook...093010650811292

The Great Unreleased Tracks Saga:

We have had a number of requests to re-release certain 90s Photek tracks. Sorry to disappoint you, but the listings given on Discogs are inaccurate, and were not supplied by us. The only Photek track slated for release on Prototype was 'One Nation', but this release was cancelled because no B-side was signed for it. Photek later self-released this track on the Form & Function II LP. 'Say It' may well exist on DAT and dubplate but it was not signed to Prototype. 'Feeling Up' and 'Flavour Of A Sound' were also dubplates. They were not formally signed to the label. Nor was the Ray Keith & Nookie Remix of Ricky by Remarc.

So of the tracks marked 'unreleased' on Discogs, only 'Inta Natty Style', 'Dreams Of Heaven' and the Dom & Optical VIP of 'Still' are actually Prototype tracks, and PRO006 was cancelled. We will try and get the Discogs listings amended.

We know this will cause total despair amongst a few hardened collectors, but we're afraid you've been led up the garden path. You can file that under 90s D&B Myths No. 47319425.

It was intended for Prototype even if it wasn't for the 3rd release. In his own words...

Grooverider on his 15th June 1994 Kiss FM show talking about Flavour Of A Sound:

"something brand spanking new, due to be in released in about 6 weeks on Prototype, this is Photek"

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/deepinsidetheoldskool-clips/Grooverider+-+Kiss+100+FM+-+15.06.1994+-+Photek+-+Flavour+Of+A+Sound.mp3

"something brand new, 6 weeks time you'll be able to sort it out, that's Photek and something called Flavour Of A Sound"

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/deepinsidetheoldskool-clips/Grooverider+-+Kiss+100+FM+-+15.06.1994+-+Photek+-+Flavour+Of+A+Sound+clip+2.mp3

Fabio on his 7th September 1994 Kiss FM show talking about Feeling Up:

"this one's forthcoming on the Prototype label"

Feeling Up and Flavour Of A Sound were also credited to Prototype Records on the Fantazia Takes You Into The Jungle compilation (also credited is The Influence - In My Soul)

http://i1382.photobu...zpslfl2ajlx.jpg

Grooverider on his 29th March 1995 show talking about Say It:

"preceding that we had something forthcoming on Prototype Records, something called the ninja flute"

There's more info on the Facebook thread

PR006 only One Nation was officially signed to the label. Say it sounds like it was the planned flip side but never "officially signed" and the TPs were pressed and then the release cancelled

It does sound like Inter Natty Style and Still VIP will be getting an official release though

I know the two Photek tracks are associated with Prototype, what I'm disputing is whether they actually reached a release schedule and were going to be the 3rd Prototype release.

Many others were cited for the label, so where then are their missing cat numbers... simple – they never had one.

I know the two Photek tracks are associated with Prototype, what I'm disputing is whether they actually reached a release schedule and were going to be the 3rd Prototype release.

Many others were cited for the label, so where then are their missing cat numbers... simple – they never had one.

I don't disagree with that - even tunes formally signed to labels didn't necessarily come close to a release. My post was more in response to the Facebook quote, although I've now realised he was reacting to the dubplates listed on the Prototypes discogs page. It did confuse me why he'd mentioned Ricky (Ray Keith & Nookie remix)! :lol:

It's easy to see why it was assumed Flavour Of A Sound / Feeling Up was meant to be the third release based on Grooverider's comments on Kiss FM and Photek's comments in an Atmosphere magazine interview in 94, but he also said Smilin was getting released on Prototype on an earlier show. So you could definitely be right about Smilin being the intended 3rd release, especially as he had other tracks at that time such as Do You Dream or In My Soul he could have put on the flip.