Artist: Latee

Track name: This Cut's Got Flavor

Original release: 12", Latee - This Cut's Got Flavor / Puttin' On The Hits

Label: Wild Pitch

Cat number:

Year: 1987

Also available on: Ego Trippin' compilation CD

Example: Phantom Audio - Phantom Force; Dylan - Dominion; Goldie - Digital

Notes: Based on the Think break. Produced by Mark the 45 King.

Clip here

• 5 months later...

I don't think the break comes from here at all, to be honest. Latee's "This Cuts Got Flavor" doesn't have the break clean anywhere for sampling...

The obivous choice really, but the fact is the break comes from another track, featured on DJ Mark The 45 King's 1988 released Tuff City album "Masters Of The Game"

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/1/45king~~~~~_masteroft_101b.jpg

A combination of full, rapped hip hop tracks, and a number of almost throwaway breaks and beats, the break comes from one of the tracks on the B-side, most likely "Beat Suit II"

(A bit like all of DJ Mark's early Tuff City 12"s - maybe one fullly blown track, then filled up with a number of break loops, some more structured than others... )

P.S. If anyone remembers that 1990 pop track "Hippy Chick" by Soho it just so happens they got that beat from this album too!

I don't think the break comes from here at all, to be honest. Latee's "This Cuts Got Flavor" doesn't have the break clean anywhere for sampling...

I've got the Latee track on a compilation CD, there's masses of the break clean.

I'm really really really sorry for this, I know its the wrong place to ask but if anyone will know its one of you two! Do any of you know a track from the mid/late 90's which had the break right in the middle of the drop, and was surrounded by a dark atmosphere? It was a very simple tune with a simple beat and bass. I remember DJ Hype used to play it quite a lot. Thanx guys.

Goldie's Digital maybe? There was an instrumental mix that a few of the DJ's used to play - the track turns out to be quite a good tune once you remove KRS1's unfeasibly mediocre rapping...

Oh hold on, maybe MTS - Hard Disk is a better candidate. But its lots of amens too. That would be a dead giveaway really

(Hard Disk remix even?)

• 4 weeks later...

The obivous choice really, but the fact is the break comes from another track, featured on DJ Mark The 45 King's 1988 released Tuff City album "Masters Of The Game"

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/1/45king~~~~~_masteroft_101b.jpg

A combination of full, rapped hip hop tracks, and a number of almost throwaway breaks and beats, the break comes from one of the tracks on the B-side, most likely "Beat Suit II"

You're right, there is another, slightly different version of this break on Master of The Game. It's the second track on the B side, Movin'. Slightly different drum programming/EQ, same kit though. Dammit, makes things more complicated!

There's more reverb on the LP cut... think you're right, that one may well be the real source of the break...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
P.S. If anyone remembers that 1990 pop track "Hippy Chick" by Soho it just so happens they got that beat from this album too!

the track 4 Hero - We Bring The Trophy

uses this "hippy chick" beat

will have to look it up. It may actually be on the b side of one of them tuff city 12"s, like the original "900 Number" pressing, will have to check some time

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...