Chat room?

Ornette

How's about a chat room, for when a number of people are online at the same time? That could be cool. just a basic chat room to say hi to each other kind a thing...

I mean, right now JJ and Haste are online with me! But I can't even give them a greeting.

I'm not really convinced that people would use it and wouldn't really like to be automatically dropped into a chat room if a certain amount of people are online but I'm beginning to think that the forums here will become more of a community type thing once we implement the changes that we're working on.

I'm sure there are ways in which we could make this kinda thing possible. There's me going back on my stance of these forums only being for information and information only approach :blink: . We'll see, there'll be lots of changes soon that might create more of a community type feel for the site. It may be a good idea to encourage this if possible...I's be interested to hear people's opinions :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm definitely feeling a need for this. I don't know a great deal about the technicalities of it, but I've been to online radio station websites that have a little chat room that runs in a ittle java pop-up box. I personally would find this really usefull to just ask random questions (and give random answers where poss!). Perhaps just a link on the forum index to the chat room, as opposed to an auto-log-in on the index? There are literally hundreds of questions I have that do not warrant a thread, and I don't want to continue bothering the same people over msn (you know who you are!)

There is a free chat room thing...

All we gotta do is paste this code onto a page somewhere...want me to set it up?

Don't really know where we'd link to it from, though

<!-- Begin Free Invision Power Chat v6.0 Code -->

You do not have iframes enabled. More Info

<!-- End Free Invision Board Code -->

Whats with this Java thing nowadays, anyhow?

As I don't really know about building web sites and stuff I have no clue on what technologies are appropiate or not, but isn't Java not included with Internet Explorer any more? And I've never been too impressed with the Sun download for it - it always seems this big bulky thing that never works very well.

I also read on one InformIT.com article that Java should be avoided and that most clued up developers are brushing their hands of it...!

OK I can probably hear your answer - use mozilla instead! still would be interested in what you and thijs have to say on this.

Otherwise... yea-hey! chat room ahoy!

Hmmm. Whats that 'Free Invision Power Chat' they have on offer? Supported by adverts, huh? I spose the idea is to keep rdb free of adverts though.

Java chat rooms are pretty standard. There's no easy way to do a real time chat room in any HTML format and java ones are free and plentiful. It's the best tool for the medium as far as I'm aware, although I am not a fan of using Java apps on sites.

You should use Mozilla, by the way...IE is shit!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest xXamYXx
How's about a chat room, for when a number of people are online at the same time? That could be cool. just a basic chat room to say hi to each other kind a thing...

I mean, right now JJ and Haste are online with me! But I can't even give them a greeting.

Heya

• 2 weeks later...

one of my local msgboards has a little popupbox above the thread discussion boards. they call it a shout out box and it's just a running scroll of chat....

seems fairly useful just to keep it friendly and for quick questions

humans are social creatures: even if we are archiving and collecting information here. Even the most committed librarians would feel dreary if they spent all day in the bookstacks and never saw a human soul

• 2 months later...
Guest NIKITA
I'm not really convinced that people would use it and wouldn't really like to be automatically dropped into a chat room if a certain amount of people are online but I'm beginning to think that the forums here will become more of a community type thing once we implement the changes that we're working on.

I'm sure there are ways in which we could make this kinda thing possible. There's me going back on my stance of these forums only being for information and information only approach :blink: . We'll see, there'll be lots of changes soon that might create more of a community type feel for the site. It may be a good idea to encourage this if possible...I's be interested to hear people's opinions :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest harry
I think a Flash IRC script would be a better idea than a shout box. You don't really get a sense of real-time chat with a shout box, you might as well just have an off topic section in the forum.