Alex Reece - One In The Jungle - 21.03.1997 unknowns

jj

4 tunes played by Alex Reece to ID. I assume some will be unreleased and I've attached a tracklist from Mixmag which gives some clues to artist and track titles.

ID1 - http://www67.zippysh...44726/file.html

ID2 - http://www56.zippysh...54336/file.html

ID3 - http://www64.zippysh...91630/file.html

ID4 - http://www63.zippysh...41933/file.html

http://i44.tinypic.com/oprdqq.jpg

Tracklist

Baby Fox - Rain (DJ Krust remix) [Malawi]

**Alex Reece**

Dave Angel - This Is Disco (Wax Doctor Remix) [4th & Broadway]

Wax Doctor - Werkout [unreleased]

??? (Oscar Reece - Stalker)

Arkana - The Futures Overrated (DJ Pulse Club Mix) [Warner Music UK Ltd]

Alex Reece - New York (Extended Version) [Al's Records]

INXS - Searching (Alex Reece Drum 'N' Bass Mix) [Mercury]

???

Wax Doctor - Q Certain Thoughts [unreleased - recently released for download by Creative Wax Records]

Quest - Project 1 (B) [Quest - Quest1]

**Mix ends**

Formula 7 & TDK - Mechanism [Hardleaders]

Optical - To Shape The Future [Metalheadz]

Stomp - Future Sound [Lab Logic]

**Club Guide**

Procedure 769 - Lethal Dosage [Reinforced]

Majestic - Dirty Harry [Midlands]

Hijacker - Kolab [Autoi]

Erykah Badu - On & On (Blu Mar Ten Remix) [universal]

The Wiseguys - The Gemini Iv Incident [Wall Of Sound]

• 4 years later...

Luckily I can fully I.D this, Reece had kept the track sheet that Island sent to Radio 1.

Dave Angel - This Is Disco (Wax Doctor Remix) [4th & Broadway]

Wax Doctor - Werkout [unreleased Reece confirmed he found a DAT with this track on)

Oscar Reece - Stalker (Unreleased Reece confirmed this was the right track)

Arkana - The Futures Overrated (DJ Pulse Club Mix) [Warner Music UK Ltd]

Alex Reece - New York (Extended Version) [Al's Records]

INXS - Searching (Alex Reece Drum 'N' Bass Mix) [Mercury]

Spooky - Stereo - Alex Reece remix unreleased

Wax Doctor - Q Certain Thoughts [unreleased - recently released for download by Creative Wax Records]

Project One - Quest - Island

The final track that shows up on the mixmag list "Waxdoctor & Alex Reece untitled" was meant to be a track called Wrapped, it was cut from the broadcast, maybe to make time for the Listen without Prejudice section.

Werkout and Stalker are both great tracks

Was Oscar Reece related to Alex?

I remember this mix being advertised quite heavily on daytime R1 prior to it being aired

I always felt Alex Reece went really really mellow by 96 but I loved this one in the jungle mix

Thanks. It's good to hear he still has the DAT for Werkout.

Do you know if he kept a copy of the longer mix with Wrapped?

Yeah luckily everything was stored right so the DATs are perfect, I don't know if he has the whole set, but he does have most of Waxdoctor's unreleased R&S album, because he engineered it.

Werkout and Stalker are both great tracks

Was Oscar Reece related to Alex?

I remember this mix being advertised quite heavily on daytime R1 prior to it being aired

I always felt Alex Reece went really really mellow by 96 but I loved this one in the jungle mix

Yeah Oscars his brother, I think he made a unreleased track on the July 1996 set which is good as well.

Given the current popularity of pressing unreleased tracks from back in the day do you think he would be interested in releasing some of the DATs?

Reece did talk about putting a CD out of unreleased material, sadly it never happened. Certain Thoughts was put out through Creative Wax as a digital download, maybe Werkout and others will be put out like that over time.

Reece did talk about putting a CD out of unreleased material, sadly it never happened. Certain Thoughts was put out through Creative Wax as a digital download, maybe Werkout and others will be put out like that over time.

Yes got Certain Thoughts

Is there any audio out there for the unreleased Wax Doctor LP?

Yes got Certain Thoughts

Is there any audio out there for the unreleased Wax Doctor LP?

Tracks I know that exist are Wrapped which uses full vocals from the 1998 Sirkus release Let it go, 30 seconds, and Do the funk. The only track that was broadcast is Werkout.

I own a Alex Reece Kills L.A mixtape from October 1996, but I think the unreleased tracks from that are from Pim Aldridge and Oscar Reece.

I think Waxdoctor is still on Twitter it would be good to message him to show there is interest in getting more of the album out, and even a vinyl pressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh dj haynes you've showed up!

I was interested in touching base with you as you seem to know a quite a bit about all this, such as that mysterious Vicious Circles promo cd which I too wouldn't mind tracking down

I was really intrigued to hear about both of their unreleased albums and that brand new Q Certain Thoughts release, which we were discussing about over on Subvert Central...

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear any of Reece's clips of new bits he had up on his website - as they were all down by the time I got to see about them:

the vanguard

alone with you

crystal lies

drowning the deviant

the missing (coming soon)

But I did get to hear his podcast, which I was pretty much blown away by - so much so I was actually thinking about uploading it to my youtube recently

However I really wanted to use some artwork he had on his website but I've not been able to find it. The archive page of it comes up with four empty boxes (which may not show on your browser due to rendering modes) where images were supposed to show, one of which was a link to electroflyz.co.uk that was like of a red-coloured "neon" mosquito...

This would have been the direct url for it: http://alexreecemusi...mages/xflyz.png

I will admit the first time I put it on I found it quite hard to get my head round, but by the time the second tune came in... well, that tune just gets me!

Which reminds me - I must pick up that Electroflyz EP that Creative Wax recently put back up, I noticed Robert Graff over in that long dogsonacid thread had premiered one of the tunes from it ("Zoon") in his podcast, and seemingly is a member on here... maybe I should get in touch

Must say, there seems to have been a lot of sarcastic comments made in that thread but to be honest I don't think half the people in that dogs on acid thread are even really familiar with the type of music he did, far as I was concerned what I was hearing sounded really cool

Anyhow to round off here one from his back catalogue his I've recently unearthed, and can't get enough of at the moment -

"A Nu Era" (not on youtube)

http://rolldabeats.c..._records/12als1

Nice read Ornette esp the Subvert archive threads

I’m not convinced Reece’s downturn was down to the jungle council or his beef with Goldie.

By the end of 96 / beginning of 97 that soft two step jazz step sound was starting to sound generic to me. The harder Headz / beginning of Virus sound was coming to the forefront.

That’s not to say it sounded dated. Listening back some of his stuff still sounds excellent. The popular sound had just changed.

Interesting point about R&S not releasing Wax’s LP. There was a Lemon D LP due on R&S too that never materialised. Two single releases (Why & B Boys revenge) and rumours of collabs with Beck and big American jazz musicians.... then nothing

Nice read Ornette esp the Subvert archive threads

I’m not convinced Reece’s downturn was down to the jungle council or his beef with Goldie.

By the end of 96 / beginning of 97 that soft two step jazz step sound was starting to sound generic to me. The harder Headz / beginning of Virus sound was coming to the forefront.

That’s not to say it sounded dated. Listening back some of his stuff still sounds excellent. The popular sound had just changed.

Interesting point about R&S not releasing Wax’s LP. There was a Lemon D LP due on R&S too that never materialised. Two single releases (Why & B Boys revenge) and rumours of collabs with Beck and big American jazz musicians.... then nothing

Yeah I agree my view is Pulp Fiction was a oddity of a track in that every DJ played it Ellis Dee,Kenny Ken, Grooverider, LTJ, Fabio, Micky Finn etc, then Reece's newer tracks like Reactive were only played by Bukem and Fabio.

Goldie did fall out with him because Island lawyers tried to take Pulp Fiction off him, but I don't believe other DJs stopped playing his records because of this. When Reece made a come back in the late 90's Hype did play Biophonic, so I do believe it was down to tracks like FVR and New York not being floor fillers, not the rumour Goldie had him black listed.

Pulp Fiction was one of those tracks that crossed and sub genre boundaries in dnb. Everyone played it!!!

That doesn’t seem to happen much anymore.

I remember Fabio, Grooverider, Goldie etc playing tracks from the Fallen Angels 21 project at the end of the 90s.

I take it the 2013 Reece comeback didn’t happen then? Wasn’t Wax rumoured to be making a comeback too?

Is there a copy of the mixtape Alex Reece Kills LA online anywhere?

Pulp Fiction was one of those tracks that crossed and sub genre boundaries in dnb. Everyone played it!!!

That doesn’t seem to happen much anymore.

I remember Fabio, Grooverider, Goldie etc playing tracks from the Fallen Angels 21 project at the end of the 90s.

I take it the 2013 Reece comeback didn’t happen then? Wasn’t Wax rumoured to be making a comeback too?

Is there a copy of the mixtape Alex Reece Kills LA online anywhere?

Yeah I don't think he made a full come back, he just put some tracks out. I own the Alex Reece Kills LA mixtape and have ripped it Wav quality, I'll post it up on a new ID thread for people to download, I was lucky to get a copy a few years back, the guy I bought it off said he got it because he ran a music fanzine in Los Angeles in 1996.

What is that Alex Reece Kills LA tape, is it that "La Boum De Luxe" thing I've seen posted about

Another unreleased tune of theirs that seemingly popped up at some point is this - Phasion "Insight"

https://www.discogs....release/4254229

I was going to go on discogs to update to Alex Reece as its got the same vocal as another of his, but think I saw something somewhere about it being both Oscar and Alex??

I don't know what the reason for Reece's downfall was - if ever there was one. I would imagine he was aiming for a 'broader' music audience as an artist, and having his second album cancelled was a big one - as the majority of music from that sphere where it originated was far more subdued in essense wasn't it, that whole Speed thing - its a more 'mature' sound really isn't it

I remember the first time seeing his name emblazoned on that MET 003 release and thinking "who is this?!". It's quite an anti-underground ethos to have a full name on a release, and was kinda unusual. It wasn't long however before looking back on my records I began to notice his name credited on a bunch of other releases I had, and going "ahh!" - many of these which were already firm favourites of mine.

Talking of which, I was a little dismayed to see some of those salty comments from Ron Wells, on what was otherwise a really good article looking back at those older releases Reece was involved with, felt was pretty unnecessary really. Worth having a look at, regardless!

Gone To A Rave: Before Pulp Fiction - The Early Classics Of Alex Reece

http://www.theransom...-of-alex-reece/

If there was one criticism I would make of his newer stuff is that it sounded just a little too clinical for my liking, I don't know what would be done to resolve this - whether a nice chunky cut to vinyl, or maybe mixing the whole thing down through an analog mixer, I dont know. Great stuff otherwise - I did notice the pre-release write up on the Electroflyz EP seemed to indicate there was a couple of other tunes intended for it ("Funky Spasm") and was going to be an album... maybe Alex Reece will come back for more

http://www.kmag.co.u...-2013-pt-2.html (whatever happened to knowledge mag, anyway?)

Also the alexreecemusic site seemed to suggest there was another podcast forthcoming for September that year... but I didn't see it, was actually looking forward to it as well!

(I did grab the august one also though)

What is that Alex Reece Kills LA tape, is it that "La Boum De Luxe" thing I've seen posted about

The La Boum De Luxe was a hour long French radio station set from April 1996, Alex Reece Kills L.A was a promo mix tape recorded live at the Troubadour in Los Angles in October 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubadour_(West_Hollywood,_California)

The Phasion EP is a unreleased Creative Wax record from 1999, it would be good if the other tracks off it leaked out.

Ahh got it, right.

I see our very own DJ Extreme has got the La Boum file up on his site for download

https://www.hardscore.com/?p=1661

Here's a link to the 1ITJ set also - https://soundcloud.c...1997-90-minutes

It must be pretty heartbreaking for an artist to have a major release with a label cancelled, seemingly as the music just gets thrown into the vault never to be seen again. To be honest I don't see why in this day and age of digital downloads some of these things couldn't just get put out - it's not like the majors would have to shore up any costs in terms of manufacturing or promotion. It could just be done by word of mouth, basically people that are interested would get it and if not, it's just an entry on a music catalogue somewhere. I've heard of this happening various times in different genres, when the majors feel the cost of promoting is not worth the revenue that would return...

I've not even heard of this Lemon D album before - when was this supposedly from?