Sample used in J Majik "Day Break" ?

Weltall

• 2 months later...

CDs must be ripped from different versions of CD if tracks are different or missing. I have that version from Dogs and it is all in a different order.

I don't hear that break in the Stranjah track, I just hear a phased and delayed "Life Could" (or the Paris version) break. It could even be that they sampled it from the J Majik track to make it sound more Headzy, but it wouldn't be that hard to make it sound like that.

The J Majik one similarly has lots of phase/flange and delay on it, and the other break coming in and out is...Life Could!

Search on here for both versions of that break, one is Rotary Connection 'Life Could' (the original) the other is Paris 'Make Way For A Panther' as used by Goldie with the 'Huh' and 'Yeah' in Angel etc.

I don't know bro, when I created this thread I was actually referring to that vocal-eque sounding hit you can clearly hear in both tracks. I was assuming it may be part of a break since those flangy percussions continue to play in both tracks. But all the breaks you have been referring to so far don't have this vocal-ish hit (even though the break in track 25 off Planet D&B seems to be the one used in Day Break).

Upon analyzing both the J Majik and Stranjah tracks a bit closer I really believe Stranjah could've sampled it from J Majik, but that would raise question where J Majik sampled it from? I tend to believe that this vocal-esque hit is not achieved by the flange/phase but is rather layered on top.

I would say it is the amount of flange or phase on the break making it sound as if it is 'singing'. If you take the two breaks mentioned and apply different amounts of phase/delay/flange you will get a similar effect. That said listening back I am pretty certain Gremlinz and Stranjah sampled from the J Majik track as they are very very similar.

Remember in 96-97 it would have been a hardware FX unit so it may be hard to exactly completely replicate with plug-ins, but as I say you will get something similar with whatever you have...or just sample from Final Approach!

Check some things by Arcon 2 on Reinforced for that kind of effect used on similar breaks. Maybe this is a good example?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqohgwroKK0

There is another track by J Majik called "Subway" (from the alternate version of Slow Motion, not on Youtube unfortunately) that has this vocal-esque hit. It's layered with different breakbeats than those in Day Break. So, I stil stand by my view that it must be a sample of its own.

Just listened to Subway, it has Apache all the way through. I can hear what sounds like some self sampling (J Majik saying something whispery into the mike and effecting) and pads and bass. What else are you hearing? It's possible you can hear some of this self sampling in Final Approach as it was all the rage at headz in the 90s.

Like I said, I'm talking about Subway from the alternate version which is not on Youtube. You probably listened to "Pictures" which goes by the name Subway on Youtube, but that's not it.

I upped a short clip off Subway here: http://www5.zippysha...53890/file.html

You can clearly hear the vocal-esque hit without the flangy percussions. I'm convinced it must be a standalone sample.

That track is called "Stationary" on my CD of Slow Motion. In any case, I can hear the break in question again, a bit of Apache, a bit of "Rudeboy Run Tings" break all processed by J Majik. We will have to agree to disagree on this vocal you can hear, all I can hear is the same beat mentioned before but processed, this time with a bit of LFO triggered filter on it at times, with the same types as of processing as I mentioned before. Doesn't look like anyone else cares as they haven't chipped in.

Do you program?

Maybe you're right, I don't know. Would also love to hear what other people think of this.

Do you program?

You mean if I produce music? I occasionally do. I'm not an expert at all and rather somewhat a beginner, but managed to finish a few tracks. Last thing I did was a remake of Source Direct's Exit 9 for practicing purposes, as I kinda struggle to finish whatever I start. Listen here if you want: https://soundcloud.c...t-exit-9-remake

Right now I don't do anything besides seeking and finding samples, as that stuff is absorbing me.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this and there's another tune thats got a very similar effect, if not identical, going on on its drums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnKK9HCfoI

This is probably the prototype of this effect which I have no idea how its done, as I have no knowledge of producing, although I do recognise different types of sound when I hear them

I guess this was the type of thing Goldie developed with the others down at Reinforced (which i think Sonars Ghost mentioned about elsewhere on this forum?) and then some years others such as J Majik would have emulated

With the tune you posted it does sound possibly increased/exaggerated getting those kind of artifacts you're hearing but I'm convinced its the same thing

Talking of which, I've just stumbled on this whole Daybreak / Final Approach controversy, which I wasn't aware of before! it seems its on some copies of this release and not others? There's no clear consensus on what tracks called what. I'll have to dig out my copy of Platinum Breaks to see whats on there

Edit: embedding working, it was my flashblock thats not working

• 1 month later...

Ornette, that's a pretty good catch. The intro break in Shining Down on Me is also featured on the Planet D&B sample CD which J Majik used to sample. I recognized two or three breaks he sampled from it and that particular one might just be it! Still curious to know how on earth he processed it to get it to sound like that. It's really crazy.

And regarding the different copies of Slow Motion, according to Discogs all copies were released in the UK:

http://www.discogs.c...on/master/56280

The catalogue number is identical for both copies and there is no indication as to why the tracks were changed.