GUEST POSTERS PLEASE READ!

The_Manipulator

GUEST POSTING IS DISABLED FOR THE MOMENT!

See Haste's post below for more info...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Today a first measurement against spam was activated. Looking at the masses of SPAM posts we have seen, some common characteristics are visible.

1. They seem to favour certain forums (currently labels)

2. They always seem to use post icon #1 (the same as used for this post).

Currently if you are posting as a guest and use post icon #1 (:smile:) your post will be set to unapproved and must be manually approved by one of the moderators.

Also, because it seems to work different from my test server... you're redirected to an error page. I'm working on that. So your post IS there... you just cannot see it...

The best way: don't use post icon #1 (which, by the way, doesn't mean you cannot use that smiley in your message). Or become a registered user :cool:

If you find any side effects when posting, please contact me.

What if spammers are reading this thread? :doh:

Scripts won't read this thread. And spammers certainly won't go through every site.

In my opinion, somebody has written a script and a bunch of people buy it to "SPAM"-advertise, though they haven't got a clue how it works.

Which is why most spam looks the same and follows the same rules. And why it's fairly easy to get rid of... (though most anti-spam rules depend on the fact that anonymous posting is disabled...)

Replace icon #1 with a blank gif?

No (looks like the standard thing). I think either try and replace it with a spam icon or see if it's possible to have icon #1 but not actually show it.

I still haven't gotten hold of a spam script, so I don't know if they use holes in IPB, take actions based on the "post" page they get from a board or do something else...

~88 spam posts removed.

Guest posting also now banned

shame but I was gonna suggest that if it got any worse, what about previous guest posts?

at least it's easy to join up on this site as most others (like doa) you have to have certain email adresses for it to work and mine (msn) does not work.

dont care much for doa anyway so no love lost there.

All old guest posts are still here, nothing has been deleted apart from the spam.

Unless we can find a way to work around this spam then people will have to sign up to post from now on. I think that many people are missing the collection feature on the site through not signing up, so it might not be a bad thing!