Users: what features of your profile do you use?

haste

At the moment we're using the forum's user page for each user's own page but I'd like to step away from this and cut down the info on here as well as add the info that's most important: links to people's collections and submission stats. The new version of the site will allow users to submit far more content and I'd like to keep track of this so that users can feel invovled in the running of the site.

The question is what features of the current user page do people use?

Personally I think all the stuff about adding friends and leaving comments is a bit useless and would be tempted to get rid of it. However, what do you lot feel?

I'd like to keep all the contact info but will not display email address and won't display birthdays and gender. These are pointless to have and I wouldn't want these displayed on the site if I signed up.

The current page tracks who's visited and displays this. Do we still want this feature? I'd be happy to lose it as, again, I'm not sure what use this is but I'm sure I could dig in to the forum code to include it.

The page that I've designed so far isn't far off the Discogs one

http://www.discogs.com/user/haste

I've attached an image of the new layout for you to have a look at...

Is there anything that people would like to have included that I haven't mentioned?

Advice greatly welcomed!

rdb_profile.jpg

Hmmmm yeah, they would be cool, I guess. It's just always difficult to know what to add and what not to. I've not put in stuff like Facebook or Myspace there and while I see your point about Soundcloud and Mixcloud adding another four contact bits would make the list even longer!

One thing I'm just working on is linking real names in the database to member accounts so that release and track info can also be displayed on the profile page for those who have releases in the database.

You can add an avatar in your profile on the forum. Click your name at the top and go to My Settings > Profile > Change Avatar

I like the new look. Have you played about with the collection & wishlist icon locations? There's that big ol area on the right, next to your location & joined date, how would it look there?

I don't really use the friends element. As for the comments, do you mean comments on releases/labels/artists?

Hiding e-mail addresses, agreed, unless someone really wants to show them.

Lastly, don't forget to put peoples 'favorites' in there. Maybe another icon (A heart or something less lame).

And maybe, as you do with the little pink quotes, perhaps having a random quote similar to the profile page, but only relating to something in the persons collection.

FuZion.

Yeah, I was thinking what to do about the space on the right. Was thinking of pulling the latest tweet from Twitter if someone puts their twitter ID in. Could also pull in last played tunes from Last.fm as well as we'll be adding that feature in soon (as well as scrobbling what's played in the RDB player). But I think you might be on to something there, I'll try that out.

In terms of favourites, how would you expect that to be displayed there? Some favourites lists will be very long so it's not really going to be possible to list them all.

Comments: see my page - http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php?/user/27-haste/ - at the bottom. I wouldn't be sad to see the back of them, just wondering if anyone regularly uses them

Yes, of course. If it's private there's still a link but obviously no number is shown & it just says "private" in grey instead.

Last FM thing shouldn't be too much extra work, just need to look at the API and work out how to send scrobbles

I should have elaborated on the faves, sorry.

They could simply be a number, like the contibutions etc...:

Favorite Artists: xxx

Favorite labels: xxx

Favorite Genre: AAA

Favorite Sub-Genre : AAA (These could be counted based on the persons collection.

As for the live streams, would it be possible to have a list of selectable streams for each person. So some could switch on a last.fm feed, some switch it off, some might have tweets on, some not. The stream could be a 4th column, next to the forums.

And off topic: When's the RDB podcast starting? My hand's up to drop a show & cycle through the mods that are DJ's so everyone gets a look in ;)

FuZion.

Right, gotcha. I'm not totally sure still. I use the favourites as quick links into pages and it wasn't ever something that I'd really thought of displaying.

I want anything up there that's displayed publicly to be useful information. The amount of stuff people have added is obviously good to get people involved, just like a post count while everything else is there for contact purposes. I don't think having a number next to the favourites is that much use. You'd see that I have 10 or 15 favourite labels but without displaying them that number is pretty useless, isn't it?

I hadn't thought about the favourite genre idea, I guess that would more be for displaying what you're into and not used for linking through to this?

Podcast would be cool, in fact I'm hoping to start up a regular blog here which could certainly include mixes. The problem with this stuff is that it takes years to get a mix out of me and wouldn't want to start something up that has a couple of mixes posted and then fades into nothing. Still, if we can get enough interest then I'm very much up for it

Ah man, I think I should get some sleep & try again, lol. In my head there was another part...

Clicking the number (As a link), would bring up that pop up box that it currently does for yourself. Therefore someone could look at my fave artists & labels.

Similarly, if your contributions, videos, ratings could be clickable link bringing up that box letting people see your contributions, videos, ratings etc... Those could have a little extra usage aside from stat tracking.

Yeah, the fave genre would just give a guide as to what, for example, type of DnB you're into. Which will be much more useful as the genres are updated.

On the pod cast thing, I could easily contribute at least a monthly show making it a regular feature. I do my show weekly, as you'll see on my sig. A one hour blast with site news, interaction from members (Another forum on the board perhaps) & naturally music to boot would be both pretty neat as well as short enough for people to listen to on the go but long enough to get into.

FuZion.

OK cool. I agree that the fav artists and & labels should be shown if the number is available. I'm assuming that no one would have any issues with these being displayed? I have to admit that my fav artists & labels don't actually reflect who are my favourites. They're basically just the label pages that I'm trying to fill holes in in my collection and therefore visit most frequently on the site.

The counts for submissions etc. will be links eventually, just not now. That was always my intention but will have to come later.

Fav genre could be done but I think I'll leave it for now as there are bigger things to add for the time being