Scope of Tarzan

The_Manipulator

What exactly is the scope? I mean, because of compilations and such there already are a lot of non-DnB artists in there. I know I've got a DMC with a remix of Isotonik lying around. Which means there's 1 relevant entry and like 11 non-relevant. Should we still add it to get a complete item? Or would that just clutter up everything and should it be sufficient to say there's a remix of Isotonik on there...

And what about non-DnB releases of artists that also do DnB (like a garage 12" by Paul Reset)?

welcome to the grey area :mrgreen:

i have been thinking about this myself often actually, the end conclusion remains that it is damn hard to draw a line. i do would like non-dnb in the database done by artists who also produce drum & bass, for the completeness sake of the artists. to have complete releases in the database it is 'nessesary' to add all the non-dnb tracks on a release as well. i do realise the database gets 'poluted' this way... on the other hand when genres will be added things should clean up more...

unfortunatelly there is not really a 'list' we can use to decide what should or should not be in the database... :?

• 4 weeks later...

The question was therefore raised as: if I've got a general compilation, should we only add the jungle/DnB tunes, or all tunes... Because that's the main way to limit it. ;)

I know discogs limits itself to "dance" (though I haven't checked if non-dance pops up). But dance is such a vast area... you probably need a pretty good server for a database like that! And a large disk!!

What's also obvious is that because Tarzan is jungle/DnB oriented, there's much more "obscure" stuff in here than there is on Discogs...

But it's basically up to Tarzan to decide...

I'm for a larger scopy (though I'm NOT going to add all non DnB stuff I've got... that would take ages ;))

as i said before, i would go for completeness above strictly d&b and jungle. of course that is and stays the main focus. but adding compilations which have non-dnb should be no problem. it will make the artists' discography more complete (and diverse). personally i find it interesting to see what non 100% d&b compilations these tunes turn up.

so instead of saying tarzan's scope is jungle, drum & bass etc. i would asy that the main focus of tarzan are those genres.

• 5 months later...

Well... Haste has again brought this up with all the recent additions, which contain a lot of euro house tunes (like the McKenzie and Frank de Wulf).

Because if we're going to add those as well, I've got some stuff lying around here that can be added (most of it dutch and belgian, like more Frank de Wulf stuff, 7th Sense records, Quazar, etc).

Now I know some euro tunes did quite well in the UK rave scene (Mentasm, Dominator) but certainly not all of them.

So: add them or not?

(should I also add my Todd Terry collection? And my collection of NY/NJ club??? And Latin Freestyle???)

My main point against it is that with Jungle/DnB we are more complete than others. But if we now extend to other not directly related (sub)styles, for which there are only a few people here that are into it, it will probably take a long while before we get anywhere near a completeness that we have now (and it may well be impossible to get near the volume of what Discogs has at the moment).

So what do you guys think?

(yeah, I know I'm annoying ;) )

reason haste is posting those is due to a large ammount of scans he is digging through, which apperently besides drum & bass also includes early belgium techno'ish stuff. i agree we should try to keep the focus on d&b. :wink:

i'd like to say yes to adding allsorts of stuff. if it exists it should be here i reckon as long as we have the time to put it all in.

there are labels on here already that i could add hip hop/dancehall/house/garage releases to in abundance but hadn't really bothered to. if we still concentrate on adding dnb doesn't mean we can't add allsorts of other stuff but not concentrate on getting a complete listing of everything that isnt dnb

as far as belgian techno and all that kinda stuff goes then i can see a good reason why that stuff should be in the db

....if we have the information available then why not put it in?!

ps this is why we need people to be able to add their own info directly into the db without having to post here ;)

Doesn't that open up the possibility of false entries, though?

the ability to update the db directly would not be open to everyone...only a select few trusted people who we can count on getting proper info from

that counts me out then... :lol:

Hehe - I can imagine!

I've recently started tinkering around with producing again, also after a couple of years of not doing anything. Need to get properly set up at home though - starting with investing in a decent computer, rather than the hunk of junk that I use at the moment!

Is yours a hardware or software set up these days?

bit of both

running a lot of software from a new pc we' just got but bought an emu 6400 and a yamaha 03D too. i'm more of a hardware man myself but beginning to see that software can do a lot :lol:

sold most of out old hardware stuff...got a nice compact set up now

I think what we should consider is why people come to this site. They don't come for hip hop cat. info, or dancehall cat. info, or 1988 detroit techno cat. info. They come to get info on jungle. Adding hip hop/dancehall/whatever entries may flesh out our db, but we'll be the only ones who'll notice. Hip hop heads aren't all of a sudden going to start coming to us to get their discogs.

But still - how far should we take it? I've got a nice Ultra Nat? album that includes a tune the 4 Hero lads (Dego names Denis here) co-wrote and co-produced. But the tune (and the rest of the album) has absolutely nothing to do with jungle/DnB. So does it still need to be added, just to be complete on 4 Hero? And even though a search on 4 hero wouldn't come up with the tune, as it can at most have a comment that it was co-written and co-produced by 4 hero?