the squeeling sound in House Of Pain Jump Around

H_M_M

There is some squealing in one version of the Jump Around track (the original 12" had two mixes, one did not have that noise in it, and sounded a bit lacking tbh!)

Prince's get offf is a possiblitly

Pretty sure it's not off Get Off. It's a trumpet from an old funk tune, isn't it?

i might be wrong but there's this breakbeat (altho it's almost impossible to use the drums alone) there's a huge horn squeel, i think it's called 'the Grunt' or somthing. will have to look for it, it could be that scratched up on a record deck ???

i might be wrong but there's this breakbeat (altho it's almost impossible to use the drums alone) there's a huge horn squeel, i think it's called 'the Grunt' or somthing. will have to look for it, it could be that scratched up on a record deck ???

Yeah check it out its on GTA: San Andreas and best known for its use in Rebel Without A Pause by Public Enemy (Night Of The Living Baseheads samples other parts of it too)

Not sure if its whats used in Jump Around... but that squeling sound do you mean? the sort of continuos whining noise in the background??

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I found this clip, could also be this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcuwfk

Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Shoot your shot

A late reply. I got curious and did an audio analysis of the songs, and my conclusion is that you are right. It is in fact Shoot Your Shot. Discogs and Wikipedia have it wrong in my opinion. You can hear the analysis for yourself below, note the organ sound which also can be heard in Jump Around. And the little pitch upwards in the trumpet, which the Prince-sample does not have.

jumparoundsound_analysis.mp3

I was never convinced that noise was really Prince, although very reminiscent of the scream in "Gett Off"

However my original assuption was HMM was after the continuous whining noise heard in the 'Master Mix' and not the 'Original Mix', but seems not!