Artist: Yolk

Track name: Bish Bosh

Original release: 12" http://www.rolldabea...uffbeat/ohm001/

Label: Ruffbeat

Cat number: OHM001

Year: 1992

Based on: The Winstons - Amen, Brother

Examples:

Armageddon (feat. Ray Keith) - News At Ten (Wackad Mix)

FBD Project - Breaking Up

DJ Trace - I Never Felt This Way

EDIT: Turns out this break is built from a combination of the Amen and Sir Mix-A-Lot "Baby Got Back (Hard B.W.B. Hip Hop Mix)" beat loops - thanks to HMM for the details!

Notes:

This is another of the key amen derivative breaks heard & used in a number of early drum & bass records around early 93 time!

I've been chewing over this for a while before adding, trying to figure whether this really was the main source or not. Firstly, the track does date from very early summer 1992 so I have been informed, and you can hear in the track where the amen drops out to the underlaying percussion that combines to make the overall sound. Which is interesting as it sounds more like a early 93 track really :)

Having a quick search I've just noticed Blah mentions here about it coming from another track. Although I could be wrong, I'm more inclined to believe the Yolk is the original, as their production is very high and tracks of theirs being particularily conceptualised and well laid out.

Now I got confused over the News At Ten record as I thought it may have been a combination of this with the Success-N-Effect break, but seems that it just pays homage as it were by adding a couple of similar big 808 bass drops!

Anyhow, take a listen and see what you think :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n422pLeV9uY&old=22FixPAWPXg

Edited by Ornette

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

This is the amen heard in:

Essence Of Aura - Can I Dream?

and, more notably:

Essence Of Aura - Destiny

^^ All four tracks of The Destiny EP are getting a repress! only £9.99 as well...

see here for details: http://backtotheoldskool.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121892

miss out at your peril ;)

I also actually heard a pop song using this of all things, on Capital FM a couple of months ago. Which was quite a revelation to hear.

Took a bit of tracking down but this is indeed the one:

DEVolution feat. Amy Pearson - Good Love

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back (Hard B.W.B. Hip Hop Mix)

Oop! I did actually read this ages ago but never even responded. That's an awesome find there HMM, shame I never saw it at the time

(Looks like he's found the source for the additional percussion over the amen loop used in the tune)

'Tis why I used to complain about plain youtube links on the forum as they never showed up in opera mini

Anyhow, I'll update the main post with the info