Should users have to register?

Guest Blm.information

I think users should have to register. You can only add tracks to your collection if you're a registered user - we should be trying to encourage usage of that facility. I think a lot of people don't even realise the collection facility is there because they aren't logged in. People would still post corrections and updates.

I think a lot of people don't even realise the collection facility is there because they aren't logged in.

Yes and, when you're not logged in, the "ADD" buttons in the releases arent there so people wont know it's a feature they could use. Maybe if there was a way to keep the Collection/Wishlist buttons there when logged out, more people would know it exists and would, therefore, be more inspired to register...

Just a thought... :think:

Should unregistered users be allowed to post?

And even then: there have already been spam posts where they created a user first... so just disabling unregistered users is only part of the problem... Otherwise we also need some sort of "and type over the code from this image" line to make sure bots cannot create an account...

i would go for 'all' members posts also.

may be a good idea to have the 'add to collection' buttons on view to non-members & if they click them they get re-directed to a page that explains all about them & how to sign up.

another idea i had (maybe for the future) is to have a 'favorites' list on the front page for each member. That way you could assign 'quick links' to say a top 10 of labels or artists.

i think that would be pretty good, as say your into a particular artist or label at the time i find myself keep coming back to the same page looking up info day after day.

:smile:

Personally I think that the situation is being blown out of proportion, we havent had much spam as a whole, and making it non-members only would make the site much less inviting.

Then again, I didn't see what the first post of this topic actually was . . .

Personally I think that the situation is being blown out of proportion, we havent had much spam as a whole, and making it non-members only would make the site much less inviting.

Then again, I didn't see what the first post of this topic actually was . . .

Well, we've had a HUGE increase in spam during the last few weeks. But with the current bunch of mods, most spam is deleted with only 1 or 2 views (at least, the ones that I have deleted). I think most chance of a spam posting being visible for a reasonable time is during the weekend and the european night.

The thread in the mods section has seen 85 posts since April 23!!! (and a lot contain multiple spam posts and not all are logged...). So yeah, since late april it's gotten pretty busy as far as spam is concerned...

So if the regulars haven't really noticed, that's only saying my fellow mods and myself have done a good job in deleting it quickly :cool:

Pretty sure that can be set up really easily.

Does mean that rather than deleting a few posts every now & then we will have to approve every single guest post that comes through. I think it would actually make more work for us than we already have!

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw the HELPFUL INFORMATION! thread about semitism which was just deleted (I was replying to that when it got deleted and i couldn't actually reply to it anymore!). I can understand the need for considering the forcing of registration, however it still only takes two minutes for someone to register, and they can still post the useless crap they want to post. I don't think it would help solve the problem. Is there a way more trusted members of the forum be given slightly more power in the idea of guest posts being moderated first?

Yes, it only takes 2 minutes to register. And it only takes a bot 1 second... If you're quick enough you should have seen some spam from registered users......

Just setting it to registered isn't an option. We need to have new users set to moderated and manually review the post and set them to unmoderated after the first one.

Plus some people just don't want to register. Just look up the first thread with El Hornet, he states that he likes the fact he doesn't need to register to post here.

The best way would still be to have an additional random code that unregistered users need to input, as well as that users need to enter when registering. That would solve most bot problems.

*EDIT* Or just look at the post from Mulder. Don't know if he'd posted if he had to register.......

BAN THE IP ADDRESS :realmad: (if it's possible to see a guest's IP...?)

Or are they all coming from different IPs?

Well, there's a whole list of IP-addresses being used. We've had 1 for 7 messages and that is banned. 1 9 times and I've asked if they can ban it. Most others were only 1-2 times. So it seems they have access to (a) LARGE zombie PC network(s) :sad:

My list had exactly 100 different IP's...

[WARNING] Geeky Post ahead.... :rolleyes:

Just noticed something...

All the posts choose this as the icon that appears next to the post: http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/style_images/rdbv1/folder_post_icons/icon1.gif

If you look at the HTML of the option buttons at the bottom, where you choose this, it's "value" = 1

<input class="radiobutton" name="iconid" value="1" type="radio">

Whatever software/technique this thing is using to automatically post (it's obviously not a human - proven by that forum spam ad it posted), it's just programmed to fill in the forms and it just so happens that it chooses "1" every time. You can use that as a trap....

Don't know if it's possible but maybe you could somehow move all the option buttons along a number so that the smile one is number 2 and just have number 1 as a hidden radio button so that users can't see it but the automatic form-filler thing will see it in the HTML.

If you can do that somehow, you could just filter out all the posts with the fake Icon selected and make it so they automatically get deleted or something...

Possible?

[END GEEK POST] :tongue: