Deep Blue - Helicopter

haste

Break name: Helicopter

Artist: Deep Blue

Track name: Deep Blue - The Helicopter Tune (Fantasy #1)

Original release: 12", Deep Blue - The Helicopter Tune (Fantasy #1)/ Fantasy #2, Fantasy#3

Label: Moving Shadow

Cat number: SHADOW41

Year: 1993

Example: Conquering Lion - Stamina [Mango], Conquering Lion - Calling [X Project]

Notes: There are plenty of tunes that have used this, will get some more examples. Been used in a few Congo Natty/X Project releases

• 2 months later...
Guest monkfish
Nope, extra Hi-Hats/cymbals and some tunes even use the pitched up drums

and theres a sound in it thats from a 91 hardcore tune, first noticed it on a few rave tapes but have yet to find out what tune its from

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest
If you want to sample the extra bits that they layer with the paris break, they're on the other tracks of the same 12" though you might have to cut & paste them together.

• 2 weeks later...

This "Sesame Street" break,

yes I have it sometimes down as "Pleader" (when they had them samples for download on the Tru-Playaz web site back in 1996 they called it "Plead")

But wasn't "Paris" the nickname for the "hard-step" (Rotary Connection - Life Could) break?

Well, as for this new "Helicopter" break, yes a few tunes recycled the beats STRAIGHT out from the Deep Blue track. But I think some of you are maybe confusing it with another second generation "Sesame Street" source...

It sounds beefed up compared to the original Blowfly source, and I have heard it in a few tracks. Most notably you can hear it in:

DJ Trace - Love Dub Sound

(it has a "eiee-eiyow" noise in it and a snappier sound to it, compared to the original)

Another time I can REFERENCE IT to is an FBD Project track... (if I am not mistaken it is on THIS 1993 RELEASE here...)

In fact I would even bet my bottom dollar that the Deep Blue "The Helicopter Tune" actually gets its break FROM this 2nd Gen break AS WELL!!!

(where as a track such as Potential Bad Boy "4 Da Ladies" - which incidentally came out MONTHS before "The Helicopter Tune" - quite obviously gets it from the original Blowfly source, aye?)

Well, as for this new "Helicopter" break, yes a few tunes recycled the beats STRAIGHT out from the Deep Blue track.  But I think some of you are maybe confusing it with another second generation "Sesame Street" source...

It sounds beefed up compared to the original Blowfly source, and I have heard it in a few tracks.  Most notably you can hear it in:

Is the second gen break from this tune, or just used in it?

It sounds beefed up compared to the original Blowfly source, and I have heard it in a few tracks.? Most notably you can hear it in:

Is the second gen break from this tune, or just used in it?

You know that is a good question and I can't be sure... if maybe:

Neil Trix simply sampled the DJ Trace track,

(as you suggest...)

What I can say is that I would guess that the DJ Trace track takes the beat from somewhere else in a very simple cut & splice manner, certainly if "Inception" on the otherside is anything to go by.

As it (that being a "Sesame Street" break example) has a (subjectively) snappier sound compared to the original Blowfly source, it suggests (to me, at least) the existance of another, (so far) unknown '2nd gen' source.

Credit due, I had no idea where on earth this "Helicopter"/"Plead" break even came from til I read your thread on DOA a few years back. I previously had spent quite some time trying to figure it out, listening to the break on slow speed, checking out my old-school hip hop, etc...

I had finally given up, convinced that it didn't exist in hip hop. Of course - soon as I found out, I checked out Sample FAQ right away to see only ONE song listed as using it - a Masta Ace track. (< there seem to be couple more listed there now,)

I suppose it would explain why I never heard it in hip hop - as them next Masta Ace tracks didn't started coming out after I stopped following the scene (I 'member seeing them tho..) My question to you then is - how did you find out what it was? Would love to know!

You know that is a good question and I can't be sure... if maybe:

Neil Trix simply sampled the DJ Trace track,

(as you suggest...)

What I can say is that I would guess that the DJ Trace track takes the beat from somewhere else in a very simple cut & splice manner, certainly if "Inception" on the otherside is anything to go by. 

As it (that being a "Sesame Street" break example) has a (subjectively) snappier sound compared to the original Blowfly source, it suggests (to me, at least) the existance of another, (so far) unknown '2nd gen' source.

I'd be inclined to think that Trace took it from somewhere else too, to be honest... Wonder where though? Time to get digging again, I think!

I suppose it would explain why I never heard it in hip hop - as them next Masta Ace tracks didn't started coming out after I stopped following the scene (I 'member seeing them tho..) My question to you then is - how did you find out what it was?  Would love to know!

Err... I think Danny Breaks revealed where it was from, in the end. I can't honestly remember now :wacko: I remember spending months digging for that one, and also the Paris (Make Way For a Panther) break at around the same time. The Paris break came to light thanks to digging guided by the Sample FAQ :)

• 1 year later...

Thats the bongo's - sounds like its taken from the 2 Bad Mice remix of Helicopter. Although I suppose he could have timestretched the original bongo's himself, too.

But isn't there a Dread tune that blatently loops a whole section of Helicopter ain't it?

• 14 years later...