Eric B & Rakim - Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em [CLIP]

Ornette

Break name: Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em

Artist: Eric B & Rakim

Track name: Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em (Original)

Original release: Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em (L.P.)

Label: MCA

Cat number:

Year: 1990

Producer: Eric B (?)

Example:

Acen - Trip II The Moon Pt. 3

Notes:

Based wholly around the Commodores "Assembly Line" break, Eric B manages to remove the opening "Hrrhhh!" by re-triggering on the second 'kick' and making lots of use of compression/reverb. (I've tried re-triggering on this 'second kick' a number of times & it always sounds disjointed - somehow Eric B's effort doesn't!)

Then, by then adding a another "Hrrhhh!" right at the end of the loop - this one taken from Rufus Thomas' "Funky Penguin" - and layering additional snare & kick sounds over the top we end up with an effective 'breakbeat' in its own right.

Also to be heard in that other mix of The Source feat. Candi Staton's "You Got The Love" - although that sounds like it probably got ripped off from the Acen track instead.

Clip here

This tune, along with most of the LP was actually produced by Paul C, along with the Large Professor, although Eric B took all the credit. Check the article posted here:

http://www.the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic...&highlight=paul

"Paul C hooked up the Commodores loop for "Let The Rhythm Hit ?Em" while Rakim added the strobing keyboards from Bob James? "Night On Bald Mountain." Paul C produced all of "Run For Cover" as the drums from Tony Avlon?s ?Sexy Coffee Pot? kept frantic pace. "In The Ghetto" was yet another seamless blend of the Pauls' productionalities. The former brought the 24 Carat Black piano and strings while the latter dropped in the Bill Withers? drums ? and the eighteenth letter flows over sixteenth notes. Yet the credits for the Let The Rhythm Hit ?Em LP acknowledge neither Paul C nor Large Professor?s contributions, which is nothing new. Mark the 45 King ghost-produced much of Eric B & Rakim?s second LP, Follow The Leader."

This tune, along with most of the LP was actually produced by Paul C, along with the Large Professor, although Eric B took all the credit.? Check the article posted here:

http://www.the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic...;highlight=paul

Paul C? Who? Hmmm, this is news to me. I'll have to dig out all my old skool hip-hop again and check them labels. I have one of those Kev E Kev & AK-B 12"'s and that Stezo double-A 12" To The Max/It?s My Turn was heavy.

I find it hard to believe though that Eric B deserves no credit. I mean, partnering up with a talent such as Rakim surely you have to put something in, if only for the pride aspect. I can say that I know Eric B is credited on the Kool G Rap & Polo L.P. "Wanted Dead Or Alive" (hmmm.... "Extra P" is credited there too come to think of it)

these stories of misplaced credits are as numerous as anything. For instance it was MC Shan who done the mix down of "Eric B. For President" while Marley Marl was having a afternoon snooze, or something...! (course MC Shan eventually went on to be a producer in his own right as the man behind Snow...)

Actually, I think I do know about this Paul C. I think I remember reading his obituary in an old The Source issue (yeah, back from when it was actually a worth-while magazine). Yeah, it had his picture too - looking like a proper middle-class american.

Paul C?  Who? Hmmm, this is news to me.  I'll have to dig out all my old skool hip-hop again and check them labels.  I have one of those Kev E Kev & AK-B 12"'s and that Stezo double-A 12" To The Max/It?s My Turn was heavy. 

I'm sure you've heard "Give the Drummer Some" by the Ultramagnetic MCs?

I don't mean to diss Eric B, and I'm sure he had input on the album, but the fact that you found it difficult to replicate the Assembly Line/Funky Penguin combo on this tune is probably the best evidence for Paul C's involvement. He was well known for being a master producer/engineer, doing things that even other top rank producers couldn't. The magazine article really is well researched, its not just another internet rumor.

There's also a dedication to Paul C, along with a horrendous wedding picture of him, included in the CD booklet for "Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em." He may look like some wack white dude but Rakim, Ced Gee, Kool Keith, Organized Konfusion, Large Professor, et al seemed to think he was pretty cool.

(hmmm.... "Extra P" is credited there too come to think of it)

Extra P aka Large Professor.

Funnily enough I don't remember "Give The Drummer Some"! I didn't really pay much time for their "Critical Beatdown" album. It was only from playing

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

recently that I had my memory jogged over the title track itself! (Wow!)

For someone who would credit Ultra as one of their favourite all time groups, I don't half know very little about their debut album...

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...