Break name: Go To Work

Artist: Kool D With Technolo-G

Track name: Goto Work

Original release: 12", http://www.discogs.com/release/197413

Label: Wild Pitch

Cat number: WP 1008

Year: 1988

Example: Liquid - Sweet Harmony

Also used on a stack of Shut Up & Dance Records tracks. It was shown on tv being sampled by shut up and dance themselves.

Clip: http://192.168.1.3

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

CLIP

my fave second generation break ever. obviously done on an akai MPC of some sort. not sure about the source of the kick/snare/hihat/shakers but the "uh" defently comes from a tune called "looking out my window" which is part of a different breakbeat on Ultimate breaks & beats vol 4.

at first i thought it was the 'funky pengiun' "uh!" but it aint.

CLIP

my fave second generation break ever. obviously done on an akai MPC of some sort. not sure about the source of the kick/snare/hihat/shakers but the "uh" defently comes from a tune called "looking out my window" which is part of a different breakbeat on Ultimate breaks & beats vol 4.

Yeah that's right, Looking Out My Window by Tom Jones. The snares def. belong to the Tom Jones break, sounds like the shakers do to. And the 'huh is Tom Jones voice (of all people!).

It's basically the 'Looking Out My Window' break re-triggered with maybe some drum machine subs underneath and possibly an extra snare from somwhere else. That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
CLIP

this is 'can i get some help' by james brown, complete with the 'Uh'. can be heard on chorus line pt1 by ultramagnetics, and a bit on chorus line pt2.

other tracks using it of the top of my head are sweet harmony by liquid, (minus the 'uh' i think) , and getto heaven by the family stand has it in for a bit.

i picked this up years ago on a white label breaks compilation like UB&B called kool kuts, and still haven't managed to find an original copy

it does sound a bit like the tom jones 'uh', the one break even my grandma has (really)

• 3 weeks later...
this is 'can i get some help' by james brown, complete with the 'Uh'. can be heard on chorus line pt1 by ultramagnetics, and a bit on chorus line pt2.

Actually, it couldn't be, because "Lets Work" is a 1988 track, and the James Brown track in question hadn't even been released yet

The tune came out on the Motherlode LP in 1988/89 a collection of previously unreleased and alternate James Brown track you see.

The Ultra Magnetic were the first to make use of it, followed by a few others. There's an MC Lyte tune based around the break, can't remember what it was. I'll have to trawl thru my old hip hop tapes again some time :rolleyes: