Break name: The Basement

Artist: Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Track name: The Basement

Original release: Pete Rock & CL Smooth ? Mecca & The Soul Brother LP

Label:

Cat number:

Year:

Drummer:

Example: Prodigy ? Jericho; Manix ? Feel Real Good (remix); DJ Taktix - The Way [Fokus]

ID'd by Mikeeee: http://www.rolldabeats.com/forum/index.php...ost&p=79546

Will dig out the Product Placement album tonight to figure out what the funk original was.

Clip: HERE

Ok I've done a clip here:

pete_rock_&_cl_smooth_-_the_basement_(intro).wav

There's lots of great moments on this album. The freestyle at the beginning of 'On & On' never fails to makes me smile! As for the tracks themselves they are second to none. This is taking me right back to Westwood days back in 1992! :wink: Tunes such as 'Straighten It Out', 'If It Ain't Rough It Ain't Right', and this here 'The Basement', were getting heavy play from him for quite a period of time

Anyhow.

Phokus do you wanna grab this and compress down or keep in full?

• 3 months later...

I PM'd Gus from reinforced records this week after PM'ing (4hero) marc told me to speak to Gus about the breakbeats in Feel Real Good (remix). and even though I mentioned the basement in the original post, the reply was "i cant remember after all that remix was the last drum& bass track I was involved in the production and it was over 15 yrs ago.

sorry"

im really gutted. because aftering alot of tests, there's a kick drum missing from where it is in F/R/Gremix. so it aint basement at all, it will be somthing else. You don't get a quiet rolling bassline on that 'basement' break and horn/stab/piano-tail sounds different on both breaks. trust me i've been missioning to find this out with serious testing and comparing.

by the way marc said

"the break could have been from a hip hop track cos that was standard in those days for us, we normally had about 3 original breaks overlaped, and added drum machines and maybe parts of a hip hop break."

ok listen to this comparason test mp3 http://www.caravan-soundsystem.org/basementisnotis.mp3

00:00 > 00:08 nothing edited.

00:08 > 00:15 basement break pitch shifted semitone down to try and match the horn of F/R/Gremix

00:15 > 00:22 basement break sliced to get the 3rd kickdrum right.

00:22 > end F/R/Gremix break lowpassfiltered... can you hear that rolling bassline going up?

so even with some modifications, it's proof that the basement break is not used in F/R/Gremix or Jericho.

-------------------------

another thing, it's clear liam sampled F/R/Gremix, because if you listen to Jericho you'll hear the helterskelter break which is later added in F/R/Gremix .

-------------------

so it's still a mystery. I'd say that F/R/Gremix does sample a hiphop tune which uses expo83, but it aint basement, the slices are all wrong, especially with that 3rd kickdrum.

so phokus, any chance you could edit your first post some how? I'm still on a mission to find out what gus has sampled. I've bought and listened all the way through to Mecca & the soul brother. I'm now checking out simular hiphop of around 1988-1992 but it's gonna be a mega mission seeing as there's also rare hiphop coming out of the UK too. arrrgh!

a god's miracle is a later PM from Gus but i very much doubt it :( :(

• 3 weeks later...
H_M_M,

If I'm reading this thread right, I believe the source you're looking for is Peace Is Not The Word To Play by Main Source.

Here's a youtube vid:

Peace Is Not The Word To Play

It's at 1:11 onwards. Note that the LP and 12" single versions appear to be different mixes, but both contain the same break.

:ohmy: :ohmy: i love this message board and the people on it

ill do a proper reply in a minute because im actaully speachless, humana, im willing to offer you a gift... money? 62062i26 qotwwoowowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwpppppppp :smile: :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...