photek's tunes on prototype

thijs

• 4 weeks later...
Guest elhornet
they are both on TP...will hopefully be getting my copy of #3 later this year  8)  

it'll be mine one day

boh....feelin' up is a tune

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I'd like to ask all junglists who know, say, how much copies on prototype records (prototype03 and prototype06) from Photek was pressed?

I suppose it's not one or two, but no info is available on net so I decided to specify the score...

• 10 months later...
Guest rooboot
Post da clips yooo!

ya post em. i never understood the "guarding" of these tunes

post the mp3s too not just clips

i've heard 3 of the 4 prototypes and they're not so incredible

and ive got two of them on cheap mixed cds

so at least post "say it" as no one seems to care about that one. thats the one i haven't heard.

ya post em. i never understood the "guarding" of these tunes

post the mp3s too not just clips

The reason people "guard" them is because these are extremely sought after tunes (some of the highest-profile unreleased stuff from back then), and fortunately they've never been bootlegged.

If people go posting full mp3s, you can bet your ass that IMO and HTFR will be peddling bootlegs next week. :glare:

Guest Guest
The reason people "guard" them is because these are extremely sought after tunes (some of the highest-profile unreleased stuff from back then), and fortunately they've never been bootlegged. 

If people go posting full mp3s, you can bet your ass that IMO and HTFR will be peddling bootlegs next week.  :glare:

i never considered the bootleg angle

:unsure:

so what if they're bootlegged? in my experience, that never devalues the original - it just means that more people get to play a copy at home. as far as royalties for grooverider go, if he had wanted to make money from them he would have released them.

Guest Proto J

i just wanna hear clips of all of the unreleased photek tunes on prototype... are they anywhere online?...

all i've heard is "one nation" and it doesn't live up to the hype imo, i think it's only b/c it's rare...

there are far better photek amen tunes...

namely: the truper - "??? (the a-side)" - street beats # 2 (the 10" inch)

so what if they're bootlegged?  in my experience, that never devalues the original - it just means that more people get to play a copy at home.  as far as royalties for grooverider go, if he had wanted to make money from them he would have released them.

Bootlegging is unethical. Personally, I would never want to be responsible for or associated with it. Certainly, RDB never will be.

Bootlegging is unethical.  Personally, I would never want to be responsible for or associated with it.  Certainly, RDB never will be.

Ok, that's a perfectly honourable standpoint to take and I mean that sincerely.

I would ask you though, whether your record collection consists of any records that contain samples which were not cleared by the original artists, from which the secondary producers made money? Surely that would also be considered bootlegging? Are you willing to be associated with Blame for sampling Seal, or Foul Play for sampling the SOS Band?

Why should record collectors have to be ethical when a lot of producers aren't?

That's a completely different argument. Producers have ripped of various artists and not paid royalties to them but they were being creative with it.

Sampling a tune and putting elements of it into one of your own compositions is miles away from stealing someone's music, pressing to vinyl and selling it

That's a completely different argument. Producers have ripped of various artists and not paid royalties to them but they were being creative with it.

Sampling a tune and putting elements of it into one of your own compositions is miles away from stealing someone's music, pressing to vinyl and selling it

On this part I agree with you. There are hundreds of tunes from all genres that prove sampling is an artform and do complete justice to the originals. Whether or not clearance was obtained becomes a side issue, and many of the original artists say they are grateful both for the intelligent take on their music and for the renewed exposure. You have to admit though, there are some really bad records that have used samples! A couple of Phil Collins samples spring to mind...

In terms of stealing someones music, it is difficult to take a principled approach 100% of the time. But I would never condone new work being bootlegged, that would just stifle the creative process as new artists just wouldn't bother wasting their time and money.

In the case of the Photek TP's, there was no money in it for Grooverider, he never put out a full release, so would he really care anyway??? I mean this was 12 years ago, he's made a few bob since then. Also, if he thought they were that good, he would have put them on the Prototype Years compilation.

Are you saying then that in this case, ethics should win and no-one except a handful of people get to own these tunes (or those that pay through the nose for a second hand copy)? How likely is he to agree to an official repress?

I do agree with Proto J - I want to be able to listen to them! But I want them on vinyl too. If they happen to be bootlegs I'd even send Grooverider a fiver, if that would make the ethics crew happy...

In the case of the Photek TP's, there was no money in it for Grooverider, he never put out a full release, so would he really care anyway???  I mean this was 12 years ago, he's made a few bob since then.  Also, if he thought they were that good, he would have put them on the Prototype Years compilation. 

Perhaps we're seeing this from a different perspective. I don't care if Grooverider or Photek aren't getting paid from the bootlegs. However, I do care that someone else is getting paid for the simple process of downloading an mp3, pressing up some whites and then flogging them. This is not cool and shouldn't be encouraged!

Are you saying then that in this case, ethics should win and no-one except a handful of people get to own these tunes (or those that pay through the nose for a second hand copy)?

Yes

How likely is he to agree to an official repress?

Very very unlikely

I do agree with Proto J - I want to be able to listen to them!  But I want them on vinyl too.  If they happen to be bootlegs I'd even send Grooverider a fiver, if that would make the ethics crew happy...

Well, they're not going to come out and wanting them to come out isn't gonna make it happen. Unfortunately that's the way things go - you can't have everything you want.

Even if I didn't have one of them this would be my exact same stance on the subject. There are millions of tunes out there that could be bootlegged so that they get a vinyl release but I don't want that to happen and don't think it should happen.

Unfortunately that's the way things go - you can't have everything you want.

Too true. -_-

Oh well, guess I'll have to keep waiting for them to appear on someone's sale list. Doesn't look like we're going to get a bootlegging business up and running very soon?!

Until then I've got 2 annoying holes in my collection... :o <_<

Good debate anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across this interesting blog...

Prototype Photek tunes discussion

Also found this...

Scrapped or impossible to find:

"One Nation/Say It" - Photek - Prototype

"Flavour of A Sound/Feeling Up" - Photek - Prototype

Rob Blackburn writes (re: One Nation):

> The samples could never get cleared and when the sampled artist

> heard that photek had used them they basically tried to extort him

> for money so grooverider never put it out. It was a favorite of

> rider, fabio, bukem, blame and many others, and quite possibly the

> best photek tunes ever in my opinion.

Link to above quote and full Photek discography

I also found a webpage listing Prototypes discography, with a line next to PRO 013, saying that it was not released due to superstition. The same page also had notes about Photek's tunes - but I can no longer find it on the internet, very annoying.