Third Eye 001r

R-Hawk

Ahhhhh

No, I think THE001 does exist, it's just very very rare. I got THE001R sold to me by this guy at this shop, he was going on all about it being this great tune, this "Drive By" tune, although I had never heard it before...

Then again I had really lost interest during 1995.

Anyhow he was going on about it being the remix, but wondered if I heard the original. He pulled out this white label that was a different version of said tune. Only he had it, it wasn't for sale. But the remixes were! So... he made his sale, and I never heard/saw the original version again. To be honest, I didn't play the remix very much either... Its a bit crap.

Although I do like that Chill Rob G - Ride The Rhythm riff that they use in the intro!

:pro:

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/third_eye/the002 is teh tune, though

I've just checked my personal Tarzan database, and the cat # on my "drive by" is indeed THE001, not THE001R

However I think the jist of what I am saying is basically that THE001 is actually a 'remix' and that there is an 'original' version out there somewhere, whether on TP only I don't know.

Can anyone else shed any light on this / has anyone heard either version being played on any sound tapes?

I've just checked my personal Tarzan database, and the cat # on my "drive by" is indeed THE001, not THE001R

However I think the jist of what I am saying is basically that THE001 is actually a 'remix' and that there is an 'original' version out there somewhere, whether on TP only I don't know.

Can anyone else shed any light on this / has anyone heard either version being played on any sound tapes?

I've got THE001, one side is the Chuck D vocal version - the one that got played out, the other is exactly the same but without the vocals.

I've been trying to get hold of THE002 for ages, I've got 1, 3 and 4 - hate having gaps!

found 'em!

THE001 : 2 mixes of 'Drive By' A side Vocal mix, B Side Instrumental.

Techstep style beats, mixdowns not too good on this.

SYD PROMO : 2 mixes of 'Drive By' A side Vocal mix, B Side Instrumental.

This is the best one! Amen edits & that gangster style high pitch sound as used by shy fx & t power in a few tracks.

found 'em!

THE001 : 2 mixes of 'Drive By' A side Vocal mix, B Side Instrumental.

Techstep style beats, mixdowns not too good on this.

SYD PROMO : 2 mixes of 'Drive By' A side Vocal mix, B Side Instrumental.

This is the best one! Amen edits & that gangster style high pitch sound as used by shy fx & t power in a few tracks.

So the SYD PROMO mixes are definitely different versions to THE001?

I agree about your T Power comment, some of the drum filters that PBB uses are very similar if not the same.

Question is which came first ? i know Brockie played these & could see which he played first - but its a lot of rips to trawl through.

So the SYD PROMO mixes are definitely different versions to THE001?

oh yes, much different. give us a sec, ill do a quick clip.

Clip : http://www.hardscore.com/ids/SYDPROMO.mp3

Question is which came first ?

proposed THE001R Database correction? :

A: Drive By (Remix) (Vocal Mix)

AA: Drive By (Remix) (Instrumental Mix)

Cat : SYD PROMO

oh yes, much different. give us a sec, ill do a quick clip.

Clip : http://www.hardscore.com/ids/SYDPROMO.mp3

Bad ass tune! Thanks for the clip dude.

Ahh so thats the one. SYDPROMO

I guess its very rare?

Not really, pops up from time to time. Hope that helps. I'm guessing all the early Third Eye tunes were white labels only, as my copies of THE001, THE002, and the SYDPROMO are all WL's with "Third Eye Promo" stamped on.

Another Third Eye release I got has the cat# FD001, but unlike the tunes above, this 3 tracker had all the info hand-written and "Test press" written on the flip. Plus, Redskins #8, had TE001 etched into the vinyl as well as "Third Eye Special" printed on the label. My best guess is that Redskins evolved into Third Eye around the release of Redskins #8.

Note: Corrected to avoid confusion, sorry about that, thanks eXtreme. :biggrin:

you have a different copy to me then, so there's another version ?

Oops, no, my mistake eXtreme. Mines the same, someone handwritten the 1 on the label, same etching. Must have been rushing when I entered this one in (trying to do some updates on what I have).

And that FD001 is a three tracker. Done by Potential Bad Boy according to the info written on it.

Another Third Eye release I got has the cat# FD001, but unlike the tunes above, this 3 tracker had all the info hand-written and "Test press" written on the flip. Plus, Redskins #8, had TE001 etched into the vinyl as well as "Third Eye Special" printed on the label. My best guess is that Redskins evolved into Third Eye around the release of Redskins #8.

http://www.rolldabeats.com/label/redskin

Evolved into http://www.rolldabeats.com/label/third_eye you reckon? Hmmm thats intertesting!

STG, what do you make of this label: http://www.rolldabeats.com/label/redskins_records

Do you think this is related at all? Similar to Redskin it has artwork of a North American red Indian on the label but at the moment it is orphaned all alone in the database. Would like to know who that 'Matrix' is supposed to be too

Please post up information on FD001!

Evolved into http://www.rolldabeats.com/label/third_eye you reckon? Hmmm thats intertesting!

Correct! :smile: I've seen the discogs page recently that lists it as being a split off of Ibiza, but outside of some similiar artists (P.B.B./Sky Joose) I've never seen anything concrete to indicate that. Especially after getting Redskins #8, which has the Redskins logo on one side, and a totally different label art and cat# on the other side, as well as referring to the release as a "Third Eye Special". Granted, the cat # on the etching falls in line with the Redskins library, so I'd leave it as such. But either once Third Eye was taking off, or Redskins was ending, that record seems to bridge the gap. And it was a 1995 release according to the label artwork. That would be my observation as to how that might have played out.

STG, what do you make of this label: http://www.rolldabeats.com/label/redskins_records

Do you think this is related at all? Similar to Redskin it has artwork of a North American red Indian on the label but at the moment it is orphaned all alone in the database. Would like to know who that 'Matrix' is supposed to be too

Hmm, I have no idea, I don't have a single release off the label to know first-hand. Matrix, Da-Maytrix? Unfortunately, I wish I could help you (I wouldn't mind knowing myself). Sorry.

Please post up information on FD001!

All the info I have is handwritten in on the label, so unless someone else can verify it on their copy I can't say with 100% accuracy. On one side it's written "Third Eye Records, Potential Bad Boy", the flip just has "Test Press" written on it, cat# on both sides of the record is FD001, and it's a 3 track record. Sounds very '96 ish IMO, not really heavy but more lighter, rare groove-ish type of d&b. I've never seen another one, just picked it up randomly over the years as I enjoy Potential's work.

I'd post up some sounds but unfortunately I can't make any recordings unless I already burned it... Still, you should get that SYDPROMO Ornette, that tune is tight, I forgot how good that record was until this thread.

Correct! :smile: I've seen the discogs page recently that lists it as being a split off of Ibiza, but outside of some similiar artists (P.B.B./Sky Joose) I've never seen anything concrete to indicate that. Especially after getting Redskins #8, which has the Redskins logo on one side, and a totally different label art and cat# on the other side, as well as referring to the release as a "Third Eye Special". Granted, the cat # on the etching falls in line with the Redskins library, so I'd leave it as such. But either once Third Eye was taking off, or Redskins was ending, that record seems to bridge the gap. And it was a 1995 release according to the label artwork. That would be my observation as to how that might have played out.

It's definitely a part of the Ibiza family.

the artist Redskins (http://www.rolldabeats.com/artist/redskins - Tony B & Quickspin) recorded on Kemet and, I suspect, were the owners of the Redskin side label. Towards the end of the releases on there PBB was producing most of the tracks so the Third Eye / Redskin split 12" was really just a similar thing to the Kemet / 3rd Eye split that was done the year before. Related labels sharing a release...

I don't think the Redskins label has anything to do with the Redskin one. Having similar artwork is surely more related to the name than the link between the actual labels?

Hmm, I have no idea, I don't have a single release off the label to know first-hand. Matrix, Da-Maytrix? Unfortunately, I wish I could help you (I wouldn't mind knowing myself). Sorry.

Yeah I was thinking that my very self... could Matrix be Da Maytrix...

I don't think the Redskins label has anything to do with the Redskin one. Having similar artwork is surely more related to the name than the link between the actual labels?

Probably but I thought here would be a good place to pose the question.

the artist Redskins (http://www.rolldabeats.com/artist/redskins - Tony B & Quickspin) recorded on Kemet and, I suspect, were the owners of the Redskin side label. Towards the end of the releases on there PBB was producing most of the tracks so the Third Eye / Redskin split 12" was really just a similar thing to the Kemet / 3rd Eye split that was done the year before. Related labels sharing a release...

Oh yeah, good point, forgot about those early Kemet's (not really some of my favorites from that label). Hmm, but I'm not exactly sure about the ownership though. Is there any reference on some of those Kemet releases that Tony B & Quickspin are indeed Redskin on Kemet? Maybe I missed something there... Even though, I still don't believe it's a splitting off of any of the Ibiza related labels such as Kemet.

If we cite the label Redskin's #7 for a moment, executive producers for that album were Sid Young and Neil Redskin, which to me would infer some type of ownership (Sid Young was also one of the executive producers of Third Eye alongside Potential Bad Boy). I don't have Redskin's #2, but #7 is the only record I can recall seeing such information on it.

Whether Neil Redskin was a part of Third Eye, I don't exactly know, doesn't seem that way. But I would also believe he was a part of Black Cat (a Redskin's sub label that seems to be confused with Congo Natty).

Oh yeah, good point, forgot about those early Kemet's (not really some of my favorites from that label). Hmm, but I'm not exactly sure about the ownership though. Is there any reference on some of those Kemet releases that Tony B & Quickspin are indeed Redskin on Kemet? Maybe I missed something there... Even though, I still don't believe it's a splitting off of any of the Ibiza related labels such as Kemet.

If we cite the label Redskin's #7 for a moment, executive producers for that album were Sid Young and Neil Redskin, which to me would infer some type of ownership (Sid Young was also one of the executive producers of Third Eye alongside Potential Bad Boy). I don't have Redskin's #2, but #7 is the only record I can recall seeing such information on it.

Whether Neil Redskin was a part of Third Eye, I don't exactly know, doesn't seem that way. But I would also believe he was a part of Black Cat (a Redskin's sub label that seems to be confused with Congo Natty).

Any chance that the SYD in SYDPROMO is anything to do with Sid Young? Seems an odd choice of catalogue number otherwise...?

I think that this kind of info really comes from a few educated guesses. With these labels it's really hard to work out the "correct" info as the info we're given ofetn doesn't make a whole lot of sense much of the time (the fact that they regularly change the label name between redksin and redskins on the labels doesn't help!).

There is no proof on any of the Kemet releases that Tony B & Quickspin are the same Redskins as on Kemet and that they own it so this could well be incorrect. It might be that they were just the artists on the first release and shouldn't be down as the owners of the label. Perhaps we should take that off? It does look like Sid Young and Neil Redskin might be the owners...I'm really not sure about that. Discogs also has another RS001 listed that has no info on it. The fact that early releases are also Studio 2 (always engineered by PBB) also makes me think that there's an Ibiza tie in there somewhere (in my mind, anyway)

I think the whole PBB link is the reason why it's listed as a sister label. He had a lot of involvement with Limited E and Ibiza. If people think this is wrong then I'll have to admit that I really don't know the answer so, potentially, the link could be removed.

What's the thinking behind Black Cat being a Redskin sub-label? I don't actually know the tunes on there so have no idea whether it's a Congo Natty thing or Redskin.

• 3 years later...
I agree about your T Power comment, some of the drum filters that PBB uses are very similar if not the same.

I've just been listening THE001 and I'd be pretty certain that these would be a couple of T-Power remixes!

Very similar drum sounds & filters to his Who Runs Tings? remixes

I'd defo say just PBB for the original though, same sort of style as JH001