Rebel MC - Coming On Strong (Shut Up & Dance Remix)

Ornette

Break name: Coming On Strong amen

Artist: Rebel MC

Track name: Comin' On Strong (Shut Up & Dance Remix / Ragga Mix)

Original release: 12" http://www.rolldabea...ecords/wantx38r

Label: Desire Records

Cat number: WANTX 38R

Year: 1990

Based on: The Winstons - Amen, Brother

Examples:

USI - Revolution

Bizzy B - Revolution (Remix)

DJ Deckjammer - R.I.P. Danger

Notes:

With thanks to SpecialJustin for pointing me to the correct source!

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is 2 bars open at the start. Sounds like Bizzy B layered a few breaks and then added some hi hats. He really did squeeze alots of sound out of his Amiga!

The instrumental is of the original, just with out rap, making it one of my all time favourite tracks, but doesn't have the break from Revolution. Love like a rocker!!

Well, that's interesting. I know if you start running heavy compression on the first bar of amen, there is a reverb-ey sound that begins to form on the first hit, and - even more interestingly - that distinctive 'tick, tick, tick-tock' sound which rises to prominance. But I couldn't work out how Bizzy B had quite managed to make it sound like that....

Now I can see Shut Up & Dance accentuates it by adding those rim shots over the top and the reverb tail you mention. Looks like that is the sample source... I'll update the first post soon!

EDIT: Shut Up & Dance, not Rebel MC

Edited by Ornette

Because of this thread i have mostly been listening to this USI track and trying to work out the samples.

One of the breaks is the Comin' on strong Amen, but at the beginning there is another break buried in amongst Doug lazy vocals and some drum machine hits. It's the same break as used in Men with sticks - Ode to a blunt (1994)

It's really familiar, but i often find with breakbeats that if i don't recognise it quickly i get break blind!

I suspect the break may be sampled from a hiphop track or a house/hiphouse track...

Not been used very much but I've decided to post as its quite unique - pretty certain it comes from this early Brain Records track, which incidently got a re-release the following year on the Raw Trax 12". However most people will probably recognise it from the remix on the Bizzy B 'The Science EP'

Updated first post.

That Men With Sticks beat sounds like a composite, not sure what it could be from though. Possibly a bit of Skull Snaps in that?

• 1 month later...