Sunshine After The Rain - Original hardcore version?

humana

Ok, here's a weird one. Round-a-bout late 92 or early 93, there was a hardcore tune which was absolutely rinsed on Don FM at the time. It used the vocals from Elkie Brooks' 'Sunshine After The Rain', although I don't believe they were directly sampled from her version, as they sound different. At a guess they were sampled from some other cover version which happened to also have an accapella.

Anyway, in 94, a cheesy euro version was released by New Atlantic/Berri. This release contained a number of rubbish dance mixes, but also contained the 'original U4EA breakbeat mix'. However, this version was actually a completely re-sequenced version which was made to sound like the version from Don FM, but actually had a number of differences. The most notable being that the lyrics sound re-recorded (presumably by Berri herself), and the bassline has an awful 'midi' sound to it, rather than the deep and rounded bass of the Don FM version.

Here's a youtube of the re-sequenced version from the 94 release:

There was a DJ on Don FM called Atmosphere, and at the time (and I could be wrong about these facts, as my memory is hazy!) I believe he was actually the guy who produced the tune, and the only way to get a copy of it was by contacting Don FM and arranging to get one from him. I assume it had a very limited press run. I have an old tape recording from Don FM where they play the track, and also a clip from the accapella version (where they presumably ripped the vocal from). If I get round to it, I'll try and convert it to mp3 and post it up.

So anyway, after all that blah, does anyone have a clue what I'm on about? Anyone else ever hear the original version on Don FM back in the day?

Well, I certainly recall both Atmosphere and Geewiz dropping this on Don - but I'm sure it was the U4EA breakbeat mix of Berri :blink:

This actually came up a while ago on the (what was) Don forum and I did pull out a clip of the U4EA mix then (sadly, that link has now expired, and I've not got the 12 myself).

If it's the one, it utilises the Urban Shakedown - Some Justice (and also Criminal Minds - Baptised by Dub) breakbeat in parts, but also has a more 4:4 techno part too - with Berri's vocalled version?? :blink:

Yes, the mp3 you linked to is the same as the youtube vid I linked to. Listen to the bassline which comes in at 1:10. It sounds choppy and tinny, whereas the bassline on the version they used to play on Don was more of a continual flowing note, rather than stuttery. There are also numerous other differences, but they are so subtle, it's hard to explain without actually hearing it! I think I'm just gonna have to get my arse in gear and get my tapes converted, and then you can hear what I'm on about!

I think I remember the tune. Are we talking a happy hardcore anthem here? Like the one you have posted but a little harder / more uplifting / totally 4:4 ?

The nearest I can find is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshWCRtRiZ4 (Sunshine After the Rain by Go Mental) though it's not quite as I remember it. The one I recall had a massive hands in the air bit where the baseline stopped and the vocals came in huge.

Am I on the right track here or way off?

I think I remember the tune. Are we talking a happy hardcore anthem here? Like the one you have posted but a little harder / more uplifting / totally 4:4 ?

The nearest I can find is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshWCRtRiZ4 (Sunshine After the Rain by Go Mental) though it's not quite as I remember it. The one I recall had a massive hands in the air bit where the baseline stopped and the vocals came in huge.

Am I on the right track here or way off?

I think humana is referring to a version/remix of the Berri/New Atlantic/U4EA tune from 1993 - with some subtle changes. The Go Mental tune didn't appear until 1996 so it's not that as it's too late.

Ok, I've found the version I'm on about now. Looks like it was an earlier release of the same track under the name U4EA - Sunshine. It has an accapella on there too.

discogs

I found an ebay auction for it which has an mp3 clip:

ebay

Listen to side A and you can hear how it sounds subtley different to the 94 version. The 94 version has obviously been completely re-programmed and sounds awful by comparison!