Goldie - Chico Death of a Rock star

Dombrowski

Does anyone remember hearing, or more importantly have a recording of a very early cut of this track.

I'm possitive that I used have a Jumpin Jack Frost tape, from one of his Kiss Fm shows, recorded in 1996, in which he played an early incarnation of the track that was later released on the Album Saturnz Return, in 98.

It was essentially the same track but did not have the 'ohh' vocals which come in after the Guitar intro.

I'm pretty certain I heard Ed Rush Drop the same version at a World Dance Event I attended, called ' The World of Dance'. Which took place on 24.08.96.

P.S. Just for the record, Ed Rush was filling in for the absent Doc Scott in the Africana Tent.

Yeah, I'm not so keen on those 'ohhh-hh's either

I know that is the one that Randall plays on his show in June 1996 here, which amazingly, turns out I did make a rip of just checking now (didn't think I had)

Goldie - Chico Death Of A Rock Star (Alternate Version).mp3

http://www.classifiedlistening.com/tarzanstuff/Goldie%20-%20Chico%20Death%20Of%20A%20Rock%20Star%20(Alternate%20Version).mp3

He doesn't give the id on it which I remember raving to my mate about it who wouldn't tell me what it was, eventually he did as apparently Grooverider had played it also.

I don't think there are too many differences apart from that and that the sound on the album is a bit softer and has a bit more soundstaging going on. Its definitely a better version though!

Nice one Ornette. Once again you have come up trumps, Big Thanks!

Listening back to this version again I am instantly transported back to that world dance all dayer, Good Times!

That was the one and only time I heard this tune out, and Looking back on it I'm suprised I never heard it elsewhere, clearly a few DJ's had it in thier bag.

I think this version is far superior to one that eventually got released, and I remember, when I heard the album version, thinking, No What has he done to that perfect slice of Drum and Bass i'd heard 2 years previous.

It's a shame really when you think about it, even a track as complicated and well produced as that can still end up being over produced, and in my opinion It should have just been released on Metalheadz, instead of gathering dust for 2 years, and then eventually getting a revamp for a rather poor album.

Well, maybe not poor but perhaps not managing to hit the heights that the previous one did. Although part of the problem with creating a seminal album is the following it up!

It was definitely looking promising in 1996 when tunes started surfacing but possibly didn't quite manage to work through it.

There's actually a couple of things from then I wish he'd put out in their original form, such as the alternate remix of Black Grape - Fat Neck, or the instrumental version of Digital.

I know at the end of the Bailey "Virus Dubs mix 3" he mentions about having been to Goldie's house and going through his dat collection so its possible he still has some of these on DAT, certainly someone mentioned the recent retrospective album actually features an alternate version of Terminator, so who knows!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I think there is an updated version of this floating about

It's on the Dom / Goldie Metalheadz DJ mag takeover, along with possibly another (more amen orientated) version of unofficial ghost

Will sort a link / times out the next time I have a listen to the mix

I actually think Chico is one of Goldies most underrated tunes

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This is the dub your asking about:

https://www.discogs.com/Goldie-Trinity-Chico-Death-Of-A-Rockstar-Original-Dub-Mix-Chapter-19-Cant-Wait-For-Love/release/4005176

This was produced in early 95. The start of the track has Goldie messing around with the left & right volume balance with sounds starting from one side and fading in the other.

Not sure why this version didn't come out as it destroys the later release.

Oh hi BM1... I mean Brendon :D

Nice one for getting the info. Did he also mention if there are plans for releasing it?

“Easy mate. At 50 it's an old Tech Itch thing on Moving Shadow, which the name escapes me right now. At 55 it's Goldie's Mother. The Chico remix is mine, forthcoming. Niceone“

He has a release at test press stage on Headz at the moment so I’m guessing it the release after?

• 1 month later...