stenny

Break name: Catchin' A 'Tude

Artist: The 45 King

Track name: Catchin' A 'Tude

Original release: 12", The 45 King & Lakim Shabazz - When A Wise Man Speaks

Label: Tuff City

Cat number: TUF 128054

Year: 1989

Examples: Rush Till Dawn - The Pipe [sound Entity, 1993]; Plasmic Life - Water Baby [brain, 1994]

Notes: This break also appears clean on the track "DJ Food - Count Zero" on Jazz Brakes Volume 2 [Ninja Tune, 1991]. The true original source of this break is not yet known. Thanks again to Ornette for pointing out that this one came before the DJ Food release.

Break name: Count Zero

Artist: DJ Food

Track name: Count Zero

Original release: LP, DJ Food - Jazz Brakes Volume 2<br />

Label: Ninja Tune

Cat number: ZEN 3

Year: 1991

Examples: Rush Till Dawn - The Pipe [sound Entity, 1993], Plasmic Life - Water Baby [brain, 1994]

Notes: Only just noticed this one as the break needs to be time stretched to about 75% and then pitched up a bit to sound the same as in "the pipe" - nice break though!

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVBFFySF_9c

Ahh that defo wouldn't be the original source. You can hear that earlier in Soho - Hippy Chick which was a pop hit in 1990 - and they grabbed the beat from a DJ Mark 45 King instrumental of some name.

I know 4 Hero - We Bring The Trophy also uses this break, i'm gonna try & track down this DJ Mark track as its been bugging me a while!

Edited by Ornette

Ahh that defo wouldn't be the original source. You can hear that earlier in Soho - Hippy Chick which was a pop hit in 1990 - and they grabbed the beat from a DJ Mark 45 King instrumental of some name.

I know 4 Hero - We Bring The Trophy also uses this break, i'm gonna try & track down this DJ Mark track as its been bugging me a while!

Ah yes, sorry Ornette, it appears you are correct! Can a mod please delete this topic?

Right, I'm gonna post up on the-breaks.com forum.

I'm pretty certain its "Catchin' A Tude" on this: http://www.discogs.com/45-KingAnd-Lakim-Shabazz-When-A-Wise-Man-Speaks/release/430446 but will confirm if thats the case shortly

Nice one

*Edit* Yeah it is "Catchin' A Tude" - I grabbed a copy off soulseek to confirm.

I've been messing about with the various versions of this break and it seems the one in "The Pipe" has extra congas/bongos layered over it - either that or it's a variation sampled from the original source, whatever that is?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok got word back from the the-breaks forum. The original sample is this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpkF-AGFc4

The Counts - What's Up Front (That Counts)

Looks like the DJ Food overlays some of the vocals from the intro over the beat later in the track. The break segment does have some variation so maybe that explains the Rush Til Dawn version. That sax breakdown in the middle is also very recognisable!

Enjoy!