rating tracks

haste

could you put something in so that ppl can rate tracks

just simple 5 star rating (or even a 10 point system)

would be nice feature to have so that people can see whether a track is good or not and see which ones on a big label might be worth avoiding.

gotta be v easy to program that and you could have some nice little pics to go with the rating system ;)

hehe.. that is exactly what i'm working on at the moment..

todo list:

- brush up the interface (xhtml and stuff.. friend of mine is looking into that)

- alter the database, add fields for engineer, genre etcetera

- comments/ratings.. i have been looking into using this forum for doing this. which means that all i have to do is make some sort of script which links a release/label/track to a thread in the forum. the mean advantage of this is that there already is a solid user database system.

one thing that can be added after all this is whether you own a certain record, and by doing so actually have two databases... the usual one, and your own collection. and.. and.. after that there could be want-lists.. aargh there is too many things i would like..

• 8 months later...

I agree with serum.

I wouldn't risk changing the "atmosphere" on your forum by asking any geek for his/her opinion...

It'll probably end up like a dissing board where people argue with the given ratings... so if i were you i'd leave that out of here.

R.

what you really want is

"people who liked (this track) also liked (some other track)"

No way.

Let www.cdnow.com use this crap system.

Taste is personal and not to be directed by a website or a person.

If people wanna rate tunes, let them do that for themselves and not for others.

Peace

R.

hmm.. i agree with both :P

i do see the problem with rating, however i think what xo means is not what other customers liked, but what other customers bought (and thus liked). if eventually a user system is available for the site and people can 'add' releases to their collection, there could be indeed a feature as: 'persons who own this also have...' which to my opinion could be very useful.

if eventually a user system is available for the site and people can 'add' releases to their collection, there could be indeed a feature as: 'persons who own this also have...' which to my opinion could be very useful.

And a wishlist, wishlist, wishlist, wishlist. :mrgreen:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
after noticing what can happen when people can rate, i am thinking of not adding this option. or course one can still give comments on a certain release (as long as they are based on solid arguments).

A trivia field would be great. But yeah, it should be short, sweet and definetly verifiable.

Unfortunately I think reviews would have to be approved before they appeared on the site. Most people won't behave badly but there will be some who use it to post nasty comments. It means that someone will have to sift through them and make sure that nothing undeserved is being said. This could be manageable, hard to say really.

Perhaps users should be allowed to rate tracks but reviewers should be encouraged to only leave postive, or at least non-staunchly negative reviews for tracks...if you haven't got something nice to say then don't say anything. Sure, you can give it a 0 rating but you are not allowed to badmouth anything in writing. Only registered users would be able to write reviews and if people didn't obey the rules then they would be banned...plain and simple. Kinda harsh but may be the only real way around it.

Tarzan isn't and shouldn't really be the place for airing of personal opinions, in my mind, more just a storage of information.

Again, this comes down to the fact that the site may develop into a community type of place rather than just a collection of data further down the line and therefore this might all change.

What breaks individual tracks use will be a feature on the new site (although it will not appear on every release as someone has to go through and do it by hand). There will also be categories of tunes at some point in the near future, or at least are plans to implement this albeit in a failry broad manner (we don't want to get bogged down with sub-categories and all that kind of thing - would cause more headache than it's worth).

Reviews are great and if someone really likes something then I'd welcome people to put up stuff like "My favourite from XXX since his last smash: "XXXXX"". Even stuff like "This was a bit of a disappointment for the usual high quality of XX" would be fine by me. I just don't want "Absolute shit....complete crap....DON'T BUY!!!" - that doesn't help anyone and isn't the kind of content that we want on the site.

Track descriptions often don't really work. I'm assuming that a review would include a track description of some sort (or at least I'd hope it did). I guess that is down to the person who is posting the review. If someone wrote "Atmospheric DnB tracks with hard amens and big sub bass" then, although I wouldn't consider it a good review, it is a review of the track nonetheless.

That could be a nice extra feature but I don't think that there is time at the moment to start developing it. There is much more that needs to be done before things like that can be implemented. I can also see ways in which that system could be abused (people hyping up their own releases) so we will have to give it some consideration

That could be a nice extra feature but I don't think that there is time at the moment to start developing it. There is much more that needs to be done before things like that can be implemented. I can also see ways in which that system could be abused (people hyping up their own releases) so we will have to give it some consideration

yeah, I realised after posting that the whole thing is quite subjective anyway so it could be very difficult to get straightforward links between tracks. Just as an idea I think that it would be important to sort suggestions by post counts or some other factor to act as some kind of quality control.

is there any news on the progress of the update?

is there any news on the progress of the update?

We're definitely getting there but time is a problem for Thijs. I'd really like to get the new site up by February and I think that this will be possible :)

• 1 month later...

When I started my own 'tarzan' database (in 1998, using Microsoft Access, has since been superceeded...)

I used a system of rating like this:

Relative Value [ 0 - 5 ]

Intrinsic Value [ 0 - 5 ]

Relative value indicated the tunes importance to the time and era, or its historical relevance to the music scene.

Intrinsic value was to say 'how good is this tune', full stop

For instance... I can't give no instances right now! Sorry - can't think of any. But you know the score - a massive club shaking anthem in 1995 that you listen to now and think "hmmm... that track's pretty average really...". So its relative value might be 5, where as its intrinsic value could be only 3.

Hyper-On Experience - Lords Of The Null-Lines (Foul Play Remix) - excellent tune then, excellent tune now, therefore 5 stars for both relative & intrinsic!

Some tunes may even have a low relative value, and a high intrinsic value - something ignored at the time, that in all actualty is really something quite special indeed. Like this (?):

South - Georgia Landing (Matrix Remix)

Hardly the most important tune of its time, but my, what an expertly crafted, most excellence achieving piece of modern music! Therefore relative might be only 3, where as intrinsic would be a full-on 5.

And I suppose that, as well, by then combining the two fields you would get a good marker as to the overall worth of a particular piece of vinyl.