adding audio clips

thijs

the space is.. ok..

i have been messing around with 1 minute clips of real audio (mono at 22 khz) which ended up being around 157 kb for each clips. thing is that i expect the bandwidth (and traffic) for this feature will be quite big.

I could do clips as well. My collection isn't nearly as staggering as either of the fellows above me, but I'm always encoding my tunes so I could certainly do little realplayer clips. Just say the word and give the preferred compression/length and I'll do it 8) :D 8) :D

but is the real player option the right one ? a lot of people don't use it.

the new versions don't support even win95 anymore for instance.

how big would be mp3 files @ 22 khz mono 56 kbps/bit rate ?

a 1:30 clip at 32 kps and 22 khz is about 350kb...which is more then ample quality i think for what were looking for here.

ive tried to make clips at 24 kps, but i cant find an encoder that can do it. Soundforge and Audio Catalyst both have settings for it, but neither will actually encode so low...

does anyone know what a real audio file of comparable length and quality would be size wise?

but is the real player option the right one ? a lot of people don't use it.

the new versions don't support even win95 anymore for instance.

how big would be mp3 files @ 22 khz mono 56 kbps/bit rate ?

a 1:30 clip at 32 kps and 22 khz is about 350kb...which is more then ample quality i think for what were looking for here.

ive tried to make clips at 24 kps, but i cant find an encoder that can do it. Soundforge and Audio Catalyst both have settings for it, but neither will actually encode so low...

does anyone know what a real audio file of comparable length and quality would be size wise?

mp3 at those bitrates are out of the question, simply because they sound horrible. real audio is not my absolute favorite, but that is just because of the real player which is plain evil to my humble opinion.

i have been testing around lately. ogg, which is completely free and open source seems to be competetive quality wise. and the newer winamp (2.81 and higher) support this format. next there is mp3pro which seems to be doing ok, and of course ahead just came up with their nero plugin for aac. the last two however are not freeware.

thing is that real audio just seems to have this sweet spot at 20 kb/s :?

Agreed, RealPlayer is complete garbage, but it's hard to deny its universality. Luckily, RealPlayer's homepage keeps archived versions of its player, so the pall that is RealOne can be wholly avoided.

What of Windows Media Audio (.wma) format? Many Macs are capable of decoding this format, and it's incredibly small. I don't know a lot about it otherwise, but that Soundforge is capable of encoding it.

Amassing a comprehensive soundclip database of jungle tunes could actually be rather fun, in a twisted, masochistic sort of way. :lol:

hehe.. as in what property?

size? apart from the amount of bits per second there is stuff like stereo/mono and sampling rate which make huge differences quality/size-wise.

(there is still the problem with the hosting though :mrgreen:)

can't comment on the realmedia version cause my operation system doesn't support it. but the three others - i would put my stock on ogg.

mp4 is improvement in that area but still the sound is dirty like in a low bitrate mp3. high freq. dominates too much, it could be a real problem in true junglist tracks with lots of percussion.

both ogg's sound pretty good. the noticeable difference maybe is that at higher rate the bass sounds more solid.