user comments

thijs

this feature is almost out of testing. planning to give it a go this evening. just artists, labels and releases for now. expect tracks (comments and lyrics) later on.

just keep an eye of the post count of this mysterious user rdb :mrgreen:

right. before i forget. the comment section has some rules (if you think there should be more or less, let me know).

1. do not post any corrections of additions here, that what the original forums are for.

2. personal opinions are allowed, there will eventually even be a rating system (unfortunatelly that is still in beta with some big bugs in it). however please do provide arguments. negative unargumented posts will always be removed. period.

3. when you post reviews or pieces of information originally written by someone else make it a quote and give credits to the original author if known (mainly talking about reviews here). if possible provide a link to the source.

well.. and as a general rule of thumbs, keep the posts to the point and don't use the comment section to start a discussion.

• 10 months later...

i think it would be dope if you could use tarzan.spoox.org to catalogue your own record collection, ie tag each label cat no with a boolean variable, so when you are logged in you can easily see how much of each label, artist etc you own...

:idea: :?:

i think it would be dope if you could use tarzan.spoox.org to catalogue your own record collection, ie tag each label cat no with a boolean variable, so when you are logged in you can easily see how much of each label, artist etc you own...

:idea:  :?:

all in good time. that's one of the things we've been discussing for a long time but it's not as easy as it might sound. it is in the pipeline for the future but there are many more features that we are working on before we get round to that

• 3 months later...

This is something that I would love.

Discogs.com is okay, but nowhere near as comprehensive. Their moderators don't have a clue either, I'm still arguing with them about the different Chronic catalogue numbers - but they refuse to believe me!

Laters,

Rob

Their moderators don't have a clue either, I'm still arguing with them about the different Chronic catalogue numbers - but they refuse to believe me!

I had the same kind of experience. Had problems with a remixer that existed but didn't exist. So I just deleted the entry... not worth all the trouble in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

:idea:  :?:

all in good time. that's one of the things we've been discussing for a long time but it's not as easy as it might sound. it is in the pipeline for the future but there are many more features that we are working on before we get round to that

I have been wanting to do something like this for awhile. Seems that given a list of CAT#s, if tarzan had something like Google's SOAP interface (http://www.google.com/apis) you could easily build your own personal database from tarzan's ...

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to crosspost a comment I posted on the goodlooking site. I figure you guys can give me feedback on why you went the route you did or why I'm a stupid head idiot for resisting change and the purity of awesomeness or whatever :P

Seems to be nicer looking but it's lost a bit of its easy to use tarzaness. I just looked up "Future Cut" to find Tunde Babyola's name which I had forgotten. So I went to crosslink his info by name which would normally have automatically listed EVERYTHING associated with him, labels, acts, etc in Tarzan. Turns out that in rolldabeats you get these drop down menus on the right side now that you have to click on manually to bring up the info. Seems kind of painful to have to drop down 4 individual tabs to bring up info that was originally up in one click.

Respect on the upgrade but I think we're just going to have to be patient while they break in the new site and work out the kinks...

That said, I still will use the thing as if it were a D&B bible. It's a resource that I couldn't bear to live without.

rock on, and thanks for all the help over the years!

nice work! I just now updated dnbradio's tarzan links to point here.

Everything is much easier to read and navigate on the new site. The new url schema should really help you with search engine indexing.

I like the added artist and label images. Will you be/have you put up label logos as well?

Overall I love the completeness of information and features.

You guys are on top of things as it should be with any dnb site

plain cool B)

-sh00

I like the added artist and label images.  Will you be/have you put up label logos as well? 

THere are a fair few label logos in the database already, but this is something that we will be working on including a lot more of.

There will eventually be label logo galleries featuring multiple versions of labels' logos from the past to the present. The same will happen for artist photos, we won't be limited to just one picture in the very near future

I'd like to be able to offer EPS & hi-res logo downloads for labels that would like this type of file readily available. We'll see if this is going to be possible though as I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't want this stuff on here for download

Kudos all, the site is looking great. Just wanted to cast another vote to do away with the drop-down boxes in favor of HTML links as it was before. The old way required fewer clicks and gave a more clear, comprehensive picture of relationships between artists, aliases and labels. And most of the time drop-down boxes don't save that much screen real estate. Peace...

• 8 months later...