origin of samples forum?

theorie

The samples forum has been started and can be found here. Please use this thread only for discussion of the forum, and NOT for samples!

-------------------------------------------------

Would it be a good idea to have an origin of samples forum? Whenever I hear a vocal sample in a tune I'm always intrigued as to where it came from. I'd be happy to go through some vinyl and make a note of the tunes which contain samples that I know the origin of, and I'd be very interested to find out where some samples in tunes come from.

Just a thought.

;)

Edited by The_Manipulator

Guest The Manipulator at work

Yep. But first have to get back in one piece... (currently working in the US for a few days).

Then try to figure out how to incorporate things... (and try and get an update out... and a better one than the "whoops... wasn't supposed to copy this file yet" update from a few weeks ago :oops:).

• 1 month later...
Guest free4orm

Dexter Wansell - Life On Mars> strings on Blueskin & Fats - Something's Going On

Blaze - Breathe> choir on Nu:Tone Breathless

DJ Taktix - The Way> guitar/bass loop on the drop is from Gwen McCrae - All This Love That I'm Giving

Jagged Edge - Rock Baby> bass and voice loops from George & Gwen McCrae - The Rub

Foul Play - Dubbin U> Ecstasy, Passion and Pain - Touch & Go

JMJ & Richie - Free La Funk> guitar loop Lonnie Liston Smith - Space Lady

EZ Rollers - Believe> synth strings on the drop from Paul Hardcastle - King Tut

Roni Size & DJ Die - It's a Jazz Thing> strings from Lonnie Liston Smith - Shadows

Rufige Kru - Killa Muffin> vocal sample on the drop "everything has a bright nu sparkle" from BB&Q Band - Dreamer

Guest free4orm

Mind that I took a look at Manipulator's list and it's quite varied (cheerio, m8!), so i tried to make a complementar one, k?

Ultramagnetic MCs - A Chorus Line> 4 Hero - Cookin Up Yah Brain (vocal)

Eddie Drennon & BBS Unlimited - Do What You Gotta Do> guitar loop on DJ Die - Driver

Ten City - Whatever Makes You Happy> vocals on Isotonik - Different Strokes

Ce Ce Rogers - Someday> vocals and piano on Liquid - Sweet harmony and vocals on Urban Shakedown - Some Justice

Soul II Soul - Back To Life> Higher Sense - Cold Fresh Air, Higher Sense - Listen Up, DJ SS - Rollidge (with that accapella version is just too easy, innit?)

Chez Damier & Stacey Pullen - Forever Mona> strings on the 2nd drop of Subect 13 - Mystical Flyte

Acid Rain - The Wind> 303 loop on C4C - Slimeball

Rhythm Is Rhythm - will recall the name of the tune soon> SUAD - 20 Pounds To Get In

From movies: I'm quite sure someone once mentioned the samples from Mixrace - Mixrace Outa hand being from the flick Warriors, most likely they are, also from the same movie, Peshay sampled that same female radio DJ voice for I Need You on Hardleaders.

Guest free4orm

Some of the most obvious we tend to forget (at least I couldn't spot it on Manipulator's list):

Public Enemy - Can't Truss It> Nasty Habits - Here Come The Drums

Ultramagnetic MCs - A Chorus Line> Acen - The Life And Crimes Of A Ruffneck ("hold the beat, stop the beat, gimme a second")

Chromatic II - U Got Me> Public Enemy - Megablast

Grand Unified - Goin' On> Stevie Wonder - Too High

Gwen Guthrie - 7th Heaven (Larry Levan mix)> synth on the intro of DJ Krust - Asian Love Dance

John Holt - Ali Baba> Hopa & Bones - Ali Baba

Stephanie Mills - Put A Rush On Me> vocal "you got to slow dooooown" on Manix - Slow Down, and there's a "baaaabeee" vocal sample that was extensively used by many hardcore artists, but the 1st and only one to come to mind right now is On Remand - Controllin' rmx (Crackhouse)

The Orb - Majestic> intro with FX and "there's no such reality as..." sampled on Ram Trilogy - No Reality

First Choice - Let No mand Put Asunder> sampled by everyone who used that "I've got something for your mind your boy and your soul" and also Rhythm On The Loose - Break Of Dawn

Maze feat. Frankie Beverly - Twilight> Goldie - Sensual (but it's properly credited on the album)

Mantronix - Bassline> bassline on SUAD and Ragga Twins - Whipe The Needle

Zapp - Computer Love> "compuuuuteriiiise" bit on Ganja Kru - Cops

Logic - The Warning> John - The Warning

A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz (We've Got)> "Now I gotta scat and get mine, underline, The jazz" vocal bit on DJ Dextrous - Musically Abstract

and Manipulator, you put Altern-8 - A D8 With Plezure as being sampled from Black Riot, innit? I don't think so, cos the name of the tune implies another one where they took the main riff and those rainforest samples from: Plez - I Can't Stop (Acid Rainforest Mix), classic brit acid house tune.

Guest free4orm

the female vocal and male ragga sample on Tom & Jerry - Air Freshener

the female vocal used on Tronik 100 - One Day and X-Static - Free (Production House) "one day we'll all be freeee"

Thanks for all the info... I'm a bit pressed for time as I'll be abroad for a week soon, but I'll just have to update the list soon :)

the female vocal and male ragga sample on Tom & Jerry - Air Freshener

the female vocal used on Tronik 100 - One Day and X-Static - Free (Production House) "one day we'll all be freeee"

Would have to dig up X-Static, but the vocal looks like it's Adeva. Would have to look up which one, but from the vocal I guess it's Paul Simpson ft Adeva - Musical Freedom.

So, should I send you my bank account? Or do you prefer PayPal? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Deadly D - Listen Dis - [ King Addies vs. Saxon in Bermuda 1994 ]

Dj Flash - Pulp Fact -[ Pulp Fiction (Movie) ]

Dj Hype - Dub Plate Fever [ Dennis Brown - Promise Land ]

Gangster Sound - Selector - [ Pulp Fiction (Movie) ]

Krome & Time - Studio One Lik - [ My Conversation Riddim (Version) ]

Orca - Intalect Remix - [ Aswald - A New Chapter Of Dub (Track 01 - Dub Fire) ]

Physics 'n' Tricks - Crazy Tings - [ Tenor Saw - Bad Bwoy ]

Remarc - R.I.P. - [ King Addies vs. Saxon in Bermuda 1994 ]

Remarc - Soundmurderer - [ King Addies vs. Saxon in Bermuda 1994 ]

Rude & Deadly - Mash Dem Down - [ King Addies vs. Saxon in Bermuda 1994 ], [ Stepping Razor (Movie) ]

Soundmurderer - Bad Sound - [ King Addies vs. Saxon in Tilden 1993 ]

Soundmurderer - Big Time - [ Aswald - A New Chapter Of Dub (Track 01 - Dub Fire) ]

Soundmurderer - Call Da Police - [ John Wayne - Call The Police For Me ]

Soundmurderer - Deport Them - [ Sean Paul - Deport Dem ]

Soundmurderer - Dangerous - [ King Addies vs. Saxon in Bermuda 1994 ]

Soundmurderer - Limb by Limb - [ Cutty Ranks - Limb By Limb (Acapella) ], [ Lil Rob - Whoa (Instrumental) ], [ Pharoahe Monch - Simon Says (Instrumental) ]

Soundmurderer - Telembodanustyle [ Shabba Ranks - Let's Get It On (Acapella) ]

Stormin' Normin - Good Day - [ Pat Kelly - Good Day ], [ Pat Kelly - Good Day (Version) ]

Wots My Code - Dub Plate [ Eek-A-Mouse - Wa Dem Do ]

just a few to get started...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest free4orm

Two more that just popped into my head:

Set up System - Fairy Dust (XL) - loop on Ed Rush & Optical - Hacksaw

Curve - Falling Free (Aphex Twin Tested Curve rmx) - choir loop on the intro of C4C - Skewer

• 2 months later...

does Dylan-Human Error sample the movie Pi??? good movie btw

& theorie, you crazy, asking me to send a dub in a public forum, & putting your email on there for all spambots & spamhumans to see!

i dont share anyway..... get your own optical ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Kryptic Minds-Deserts of the Real

The Matrix-"Welcome to the Deserts of the Real"

Obvious I know, but thought I'd contribute

Please note the post I made above.

We now have a "Sample Sources" forum. Click this link and post any sample sources you know of in that forum. Thank you!