mutationz

thijs

call me stupid.. not really into the dsci4 stuff, but i would really really try to find out what the exact deal is with all the mutationz

1. are they indeed remixes of the T-Power track?

2. was the original done with MK Ultra?

3. how many remixes did dj trace do?

etc.. etc..

1. Actually they are remixes of Trace's re-remix (Emotif 10), judging from the hoover that's in all remixes.

2. I've never traced it back to a tune by MK Ultra (but then again, I've never heard anything by MK Ultra).

3. 1 on SOUR, 1 on Emotif, and 1 together with Bad Company. I think all others are remixes from other people.

ok class lets learn about the history of the mutant today :)

mk ultra is Jean-Frangois Bire a house producer he and marc royal did horny mutant jazz, which was then remixed by trace on sour which was then re-remixed by trace for the emotif rls whhich was then remixed again for the mutationz releases on dsci4

so yes mk ultra did the original, and the mutationz releases i really wouldnt qualify as remixes of the original because there so removed any other t-power questions ask me i am the resident scholar :) and for further geekiness heres the original press release announcing mutant jazz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

T. Power came to everybody's attention with the release of the massive

hardcore hit "Blow Out Part II" back in '91 with Bass Selective. Since

then he has been working on solo projects releasing Drum & Bass tunes

such as "Lipsing Jamring" ('93) and "The Elemental" ('94) as well as

remixes of jungle greats like: "Greater Love" and "Original Nuttah".

His latest release (10/04/95), "Mutant Jazz", reveals a luscious future

Drum & Bass experience, taking Jungle from the dance floor to the living

room, starting at the point where ambient meets jungle.

T. Power got into Hip-Hop with its emergence in the U.K in '83 and speedily

got out of it, taking with him the drum patterns. Ripping them apart and

restructuring them, he found that other forms of music could be developed

from them. Moving into a more contemporary arena his influences became Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Sylvian and Pat Metheny - which lead him into Eno, Schulze and jazz classics by Miles Davies.

This is an age where the levels of technology are constantly moving forwards and yet more integral to our daily needs. This is reflected in the style of T. Powers music, working with the machine rather than it working against us, showing that music created by computers has a depth, human edge and provokes thought.

The stage he is now at musically compliments the ideals and standards he and his surrounding environment now demands. Recent trips to Japan, New York and Berlin, where his music is becoming ever popular have greatly inspired him. He is planning a trip to New York to work in the studio with Multi Media guru DJ Soulslinger, who owns Liquid Sky Design.

His next release "Mutant Jazz" is due on 10/4/95.

His album is due for release in September.

Look out for his new label - Deep Thought Records.

i have these entries in the database:

T-Power - The Mutant (DJ Trace Remix)

T-Power & MK Ultra - Mutant Jazz (DJ Trace Remix)

T-Power & MK Ultra - Mutant Jazz

(Rollers Instinct remix as well)

DJ Trace - Mutant Revisited

and of course all those mutationz...

mk ultra is Jean-Frangois Bire a house producer he and marc royal did horny mutant jazz

so yes mk ultra did the original

And they dropped the "horny" for the official release ;)

But is the SOUR release the original, or is there a separate original from MK Ultra on his own? From your message I'd say the SOUR one is the original...

and the mutationz releases i really wouldnt qualify as remixes of the original because there so removed any other t-power

And I still think they are remixes of Trace's re-remix (or at least Trace's first remix). I mean, all have the backwards sample and the hoover. I think the Black Sun Empire even samples "Mutant Revisited"! (it at least sounds like they did).

Wooh... SOUR026 is totally wrong in the database!!!!

A: Turquoise

B: The Mutant Remix [Rollers Instinct] (by DJ Trace)

At least, that's how my datafile states the b-side... (but it has been wrong before...). Don't have a vinyl copy to verify with at home at the moment.

I also think it's listed as just T-Power.

T-Power - The Mutant (DJ Trace Remix)

T-Power & MK Ultra - Mutant Jazz (DJ Trace Remix)

T-Power & MK Ultra - Mutant Jazz

(Rollers Instinct remix as well)

thse are all the same track aren't they? the rollers instinct thing is anyway, not the original track of course

no the sour release is definitely the original, mk ultra had like 2 house records out and then faded from the scene and as far as the "horny" thing goes it might of been dropped for the original release but it cropped up elsewhere in sour compilations and the like.

SOUR026:

We've got a copy with a sticker on it.

The A-side is "Turquoise" by T-Power.

Now the B-side.

The sticker seems to name DJ Trace as the artist and "The Mutant Remix - Rollers Instinct" as the title.

The label's even less clear. It doesn't really name an artist, but has just "The Mutant Remix" and on the next line "Rollers Instinct (Remix by Trace)". which would suggest "Rollers Instinct" [Trace+Nico] as the artist, as the A-side has "Turquoise" and on the next line "T-Power".

If I don't forget it, I'll try to take it with me on Saturday and scan the cover and label...

• 3 years later...